May 2013 Moms

Cereal

My little guy is 4 weeks old and I cannot convience my MIL that it is not okay to shove cereal down his throat.

I know that everyone has their own opinions about the right age to give a baby cereal, but just wondering if anyone else is having this battle with their family members?

Ultimately, the decision is up to me, since this baby came out of my vag and my vag only..... 

April 29, 2013
8 pound 4 ounces
20 1/2"

DX: 2001 Severe Endometriosis 
5/2006: BFP 5/2006: M/C
10/2008: TTC W/Severe Endo
1/2010: 6 cycles with Clomid=all BFN
9/5/2012: BFP 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheCraftyPie/265482416859470

Re: Cereal

• Imo that is way too young. Good luck putting your mil in her place.
  • jayro10jayro10 member
    That is WAY too young for cereal! Is she just telling you that it's okay, or is she actually trying to feed him?

If she's just telling you that, then you can tell her no, he needs to be at least 4 or 5 months old [or whatever your pedi tells you] and just ignore any other comments she makes. If she's trying to feed him cereal, then she should not be left alone with him. You and DH may need to be having a firm talk with her soon! GL!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, I agree it is way too young!

IMO, he needs to be at least 4-6 months old.

No, she hasn't tried. She just keeps bringing it up. Like last night she said, oh he's 4 weeks old, he can have cereal now. I said, no....it's 4-6 months old.

April 29, 2013
    8 pound 4 ounces
    20 1/2"

DX: 2001 Severe Endometriosis 
    5/2006: BFP 5/2006: M/C
    10/2008: TTC W/Severe Endo
    1/2010: 6 cycles with Clomid=all BFN
    9/5/2012: BFP 

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheCraftyPie/265482416859470

• My MIL talks about cereal, but more of a how things have changed talk than a what I should be doing talk. I just smile and reply with how funny it is that babies weren't required to be in car seats, and how expecting mothers weren't told to avoid alcohol and cigarettes, etc all those years ago. That usually ends the comparisons of how things were when she was a young mother.

As long as she's not trying to feed your baby, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ew. Way too early. You don't need to convince her. You've explained and now I'd totally ignore it when she brings it up. 
    I'd put a Movember mustache fail, but then
    you'd all have to look at it until February.
  • Health Canada says that infants up to six months should be exclusively breast or formula fed, and not have any solid foods until the age of 6 months. So your MIL is nuts to think that cereal is ok, when intact it can do damage to their stomah and digestive tracts.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had a nurse tell me very sternly that my LO is to have breastmilk (or formula) ONLY until she is 5 months old.
    BabyName Ticker
  • I definitely wouldn't give cereal this early. I don't see the need.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • oh, God, tell her to mind her own business... don't know how to say it nicely. It's your YOUR decision!!! 
  • LN1024LN1024 member

imageAliciaR777:
    My MIL talks about cereal, but more of a how things have changed talk than a what I should be doing talk. I just smile and reply with how funny it is that babies weren't required to be in car seats, and how expecting mothers weren't told to avoid alcohol and cigarettes, etc all those years ago. That usually ends the comparisons of how things were when she was a young mother. As long as she's not trying to feed your baby, I wouldn't get too worked up about it. Good luck!

Exactly this first paragraph. My mom and MIL would never try to convince me to do something a different way, but we do like to compare.

Sternly (and respectfully) put her in her place.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"