January 2013 Moms

Solids... order, etc.

Ok so DD had her 4mo. apt today and the ped had the typical advice... Start solids now, rice cereal or oatmeal to start, etc. Now DD is not ready quite yet and has had reflux and mspi so I am nervous.

Right now I am leaning toward waiting at least a month, skipping rice for sure. I might try oatmeal but am not sold on it. I want to start with veggies and some fruits since they are easier on the gut. The ped said introducing earlier was better for allergies since waiting can cause the body to see it as foreign causing issues. Anyone heard this or is this more outdated ped talk?

Also, does anyone have a good list of an order for starting? I thought maybe there was a more specific method to the madness :
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Solids... order, etc.

• Typical definitely depends on the pedi. Our pedi is very pro waiting until 6 months and suggested cereal/vegetables/fruits can all be introduced at 6 months and had no preference in which came first.

I've been told just the opposite in terms of causing allergies, that introing too early can cause allergies because the gut isn't closed yet.

We're going to do avocado first & I like this website --> https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com

ETA - apparently I'm not the only one who likes that site!

Another good one --> https://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

• JHBWJHBW member
    DS also has bad reflux and MSPI. His GI doctor said absolutely no solids until 6 months because his digestive system is very sensitive. He is on percription formula because even the milk/ soy free over the counter stuff was too hard on his system. It's going to be hard to hold out since he is already so interested in watching us eat and acts like he wants what we have, but I am definitely going to wait. He was miserable before the prescription formula, so I want to make sure his digestive system is fully developed before introducing anything else.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • jobiannjobiann member

imageJHBW:
    DS also has bad reflux and MSPI. His GI doctor said absolutely no solids until 6 months because his digestive system is very sensitive. He is on percription formula because even the milk/ soy free over the counter stuff was too hard on his system. It's going to be hard to hold out since he is already so interested in watching us eat and acts like he wants what we have, but I am definitely going to wait. He was miserable before the prescription formula, so I want to make sure his digestive system is fully developed before introducing anything else.

No advice, just wanted to say I love your siggy picture! 

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Just wait until your DD seems ready. I am not so sure about your ped giving typical advice for a baby with reflux and mspi though....
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• When you start solids it's important to introduce one solid at a time, and wait 3 days to see if baby is allergic to the aliment or not. We started at 6 months and we've first introduced banana but LO also loves avocado. I first find it hard to tell which solids were recommended for her and which to avoid, but I found this website https://goodmomming.com/ and it kind of solved my problem. You could use it when your baby is ready.

Tells you what food is good and what to avoid. Hope it helps 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"