December 2013 Moms

my son will not leave my boob alone!!! and hates his crib

my  14 month old cant stop breastfeeding!!! he will put his hand down my shirt and cry and cry! he also wont sleep in his crib and throughout the night he wakes up to be breastfed, i feel that maybe Im his pacifier. can someone please give me an advice on how to stop breastfeeding, and get him to sleep on his crib?

seriously anything will help. im 11 weeks pregnant and Im not eating right ( nauseas) and i feel that the little i can provide for my pregnancy may be im giving it to my son? oh and I really dont want him to sleep with us forever 

Re: my son will not leave my boob alone!!! and hates his crib

• Tiny ones don't respond well to abrupt change. It sounds like you're trying to force two abrupt changes on him at the same time, both of which put you in a spot much further away from him -physically and emotionally- than he's used to, and he's not prepared for the change.

Right now moving him to his crib is not that important. Sure you want to do it eventually, but the priority right now is weaning him so you can retain the nutrients you need for both yourself and your new baby. I would focus on that. Don't worry about moving him just yet...or if you do work on it, do it in very, very tiny steps.

Put him in his crib to play or nap for short periods, and stay with him so he doesn't associate the crib with being cold/alone/sad. Put him in his crib to read him stories before he goes to sleep at night. But in the end, if he wants to sleep with you...let him.  Once he's weaned, you can start working on making a hard rule.

I will end this by saying I am a FTM mother myself, but I helped raise 2 sisters, 2 nieces, and a nephew. Two of them were 10 months to 3 years old during the period I was providing the most support. My advice is based on my experience during that time.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am by no means an expert as a FTM, however as someone who works in the behavior analysis field.. It is not your son who is unwilling to change. You are teaching him that it is ok by giving in to him.. And even more, when you tell him "no" and put him in his crib to sleep or refuse to breast feed and then give in to him, it teaches him that if he just crys for long enough or puts up enough of a fuss you eventually give in. I suggest extinction.. It will be a ruff couple of days, but pay off in the long term.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagelaurenmorris1:
    I am by no means an expert as a FTM, however as someone who works in the behavior analysis field.. It is not your son who is unwilling to change. You are teaching him that it is ok by giving in to him.. And even more, when you tell him "no" and put him in his crib to sleep or refuse to breast feed and then give in to him, it teaches him that if he just crys for long enough or puts up enough of a fuss you eventually give in. I suggest extinction.. It will be a ruff couple of days, but pay off in the long term.

This. Ok, I have to be honest, FTM here, as well. Cribs are not for play, they are for sleep. Also, staying in the room while he is in there, will only teach him that he needs you to stay in the room until he falls asleep. I agree with laurenmorris1, extinction from both Mom and Dad's bed, and breast feeding.

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Dream celeb baby daddy- Prince Harry
      Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd repost this on the breast feeding board or 12-24 months.  There's much more involved in night weaning and moving your baby to his crib than most FTMs understand.  I'd ask on one of those boards to find out what has worked for other people in similar situations.  I breastfed but didn't bed share so I don't have any good advice.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS is only nursing twice a day now but we went through this with him not long ago actually. He wanted to nurse all night long and I was getting zero sleep and felt exhausted all the time. What worked best for us was to transition him to his crib so that he wasn't sleeping right by mommy and then couldn't nurse whenever he wanted. Just that transition alone helped eliminate at least half of the nighttime nursing sessions. He couldn't smell me right there by him and so he started learning to self soothe when he'd wake up at night instead of using me as a pacifier. It then took a couple more months to eliminate the rest of the nighttime nursing but he really did it in his own. Hope that helps a little!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • lp0lp0 member
    imageFutureMrsCaesar:
    I'd repost this on the breast feeding board or 1224 months. nbsp;There's much more involved in night weaning and moving your baby to his crib than most FTMs understand. nbsp;I'd ask on one of those boards to find out what has worked for other people in similar situations. nbsp;I breastfed but didn't bed share so I don't have any good advice.

This! I started weaning at 10 months and he was completely off the boob at 12 months. I never bed shared so I don't have much advice there but DS used to nap in his swing and sleep in the pnp in our room. I started putting him down for naps in his crib and that helped with the transition into the crib at night at 9 months.

For weaning I think what did it was I introduced whole cow's milk at 10 months. I cut it half milk half water as per my dr. I substituted one feeding at nap time and right before bed. The very first night I did this DS slept through the night [he had been getting up once to nurse] and has been ever since. I think the milk was thicker then my milk and helped sustained him through the night. Then I just continued replacing one feeding every week until he was completely off the boob.
    "Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it the more it will elude you but if u turn your attention to other things it will come & sit softly on your shoulder."

BFP! 04/26/11 - DS born 12/28/11 - BFP #2! 04/02/13 - DD born 12/11/13 -
    My Ovulation Chart

imageimage

• I want to start by saying you don't need to worry about your son taking things from the baby. You will stop producing milk, before that happens. The pregnancy takes the nutrients first, then your milk, then you get what's left.

As for the crib thing, it's up to you when you want to move him (I promise, no matter what, he won't be in there forever). I would start to night wean and once you have that down, start moving him to his crib (too many transitions can be overwhelming to a child). When he cries, pick him up and comfort, but don't nurse. When he's calm you can put him back (or instead of picking him up just rub his back to comfort, but that never worked for dd). It will be a rough few nights with that, but he'll start to learn. 

Also, the nursing probably is a comfort thing right now as he can sense the change in you and your behavior. It won't last the whole pregnancy, so a little comfort here and there probably is a good thing. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'd like to clarify that my prior post was based on the fact that it sounded like OP was trying to abruptly cut her son off from all nursing without warning, and getting frustrated when it didn't work. If that's the case, transition periods *need* to be introduced. I probably misread, however- frustration on OP's part, and lack of sleep on mine can go a long way towards misunderstanding. 

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"