February 2013 Moms

Meltdowns in public, wdyd?

How do you all handle meltdowns when you're in public? If there's nothing obviously wrong you can fix quickly (ie: diaper change), do you leave? Or just try to tough it out and see if they will calm down?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Meltdowns in public, wdyd?

• Depends on where it is in public. Grocery store: tough it out. Same at other places where I'm there for a purpose and need to get something done. I simply don't have time to leave and come back another time hoping DD2 decides to stay calm. Having said that, I try to run errands like that on my own whenever possible.

Playground or playgroup type of activity: I try to calm her down, figuring everyone there understands. If we've only been at the park for a bit then I just deal, but if I want to leave soon anyway, that's my excuse to tell DD1 we need to head home. And in playgroups if there's an organized activity going on that we're interrupting and she's obviously not going to calm down soon, then we leave.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• With both my kids, if they weren't wet or hungry, meltdowns usually indicated being tired or overstimulated.  In that case, if possible, I leave.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageJustinlove:
    With both my kids, if they weren't wet or hungry, meltdowns usually indicated being tired or overstimulated.  In that case, if possible, I leave.

I'll add that that's a good idea. When I'm talking about the playground / playgroup meltdowns and staying, DD2 is in the Ergo, where she usually sleeps anyway, so tiredness isn't usually the problem, nor is overstimulation if I have the top flap over her (which I pretty much always do at the playground because she sleeps).

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• 2moms2b2moms2b member
    Normally we will speed things up when this happens or if SO and I are both out and about then one of us will take them to the car.  If it's just one of us I typically will cut my trip off then, go checkout and leave.  I don't like toughing it out as I cannot focus enough when they loose it so it's not productive for me personally to try and just get through it.  I would much rather call it done, get what I have and go back later for the rest.  I get very easily flustered when out anyways so add a crying baby and you get a major disaster and one crazy momma.
    M & M
    06/12 - BFP!!!!
    Beta #1 15dpo - 256
    Beta #2 18dpo - 1097
    6wk U/S on 07/02 ~ TWINS!!!
    EDD 02/21/13
    09/10/12 Found out it's two Boys!!!! Sam and Jake
    Jacob and Samuel born 1/29/13 at 36 weeks. photo F489900B-BB44-4C44-ACD1-ABB73509E3B2-9032-000005E7AE7EF53E.jpg Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image2moms2b:
    Normally we will speed things up when this happens or if SO and I are both out and about then one of us will take them to the car.  If it's just one of us I typically will cut my trip off then, go checkout and leave.  I don't like toughing it out as I cannot focus enough when they loose it so it's not productive for me personally to try and just get through it.  I would much rather call it done, get what I have and go back later for the rest.  I get very easily flustered when out anyways so add a crying baby and you get a major disaster and one crazy momma.

Yup.  I'm the same way. 

• With the baby - I would nurse her.  DD2 has never had a meltdown yet, but if she did I would do the same thing I did with the others - stick a boob in her mouth.  Then, once she is happy I would put her in a carrier and she would most likely fall asleep.

With older kids, I will tough it out if we are running an errand that really needs done.  Otherwise, I will leave and deal with it in the car.

• My first goal is to try to do the errands alone, and leave DS at home. If I can't do that, which often I can't, I will usually just tough it out and finish, especially if it's the grocery store, where I have a cart full and I do not feel like coming back to fill it all over again only to have DS potentially meltdown again. The most aggravating part of it for me is all "helpful" strangers that make comments like, "Oh my, someone's not happy!" Yes, I can see that. Thanks. There's actually two people that are not happy, but only one who it is still reasonable to be screaming his head off and crying in the middle of a store.
  • imageDublinMama:
    My first goal is to try to do the errands alone, and leave DS at home. If I can't do that, which often I can't, I will usually just tough it out and finish, especially if it's the grocery store, where I have a cart full and I do not feel like coming back to fill it all over again only to have DS potentially meltdown again. The most aggravating part of it for me is all "helpful" strangers that make comments like, "Oh my, someone's not happy!" Yes, I can see that. Thanks. There's actually two people that are not happy, but only one who it is still reasonable to be screaming his head off and crying in the middle of a store.

Hahaha.  This is exactly what goes through my head when someone says this.

• a13049a13049 member
    imageHeartstrings13:

imageDublinMama:
    My first goal is to try to do the errands alone, and leave DS at home. If I can't do that, which often I can't, I will usually just tough it out and finish, especially if it's the grocery store, where I have a cart full and I do not feel like coming back to fill it all over again only to have DS potentially meltdown again. The most aggravating part of it for me is all "helpful" strangers that make comments like, "Oh my, someone's not happy!" Yes, I can see that. Thanks. There's actually two people that are not happy, but only one who it is still reasonable to be screaming his head off and crying in the middle of a store.

Hahaha.  This is exactly what goes through my head when someone says this.

Omg this was so yesterday. I was putting LO on the ergo while she was cranky and our friends mother picked her up in the infant insert while I was try to out dd in, then handed her to me side ways while pulling up the straps of the ergo. It was way more difficult to put on with help. I have gotten pretty good at it now

• For me it depends where I am and if I really need to do what I am doing.  Like grocery shop I try to get the things I need and if there are few things I can hold off on I will cut my trip like that.  If im out and about and not commited to anything than I will leave to try to nurse than put him in the car seat so he will fall asleep
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"