Stay at Home Moms

Disturbing news in my neighborhood -- WWYD?

We just moved into a fabulous neighborhood one year ago. It has tons of kids and we are in love with this our "forever home." Tonight DH was doing yard work and neighbor across the street comes to share this disturbing news. Her next door neighbor's (so diagonal from us) adult son just moved in with her this weekend from Alaska after getting out of prison for 6 months after being convicted for molesting his daughter. I have been in the hospital since Friday and just got discharged today so no one has been around my place so 1. I have missed the gossip/talk and 2. I have no clue what this guy looks like (and honestly don't know that I have ever even seen his mother, the owner of the house). I looked up my zip code on the sex offender registry and can't find anyone, likely because he just moved here and isn't even a resident (how does it work if he is just "staying here?"). 

I don't guess there is anything I can DO about it other than not even let my DD1 go get the mail or do chalk in the driveway without me there and have a much more detailed stranger/danger talk with her but it makes me so uncomfortable to even be in our front yard, ride bikes out front or even talk walks to get ice cream past their house.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/suggestions on this situation. My DDs are 4.5 and 2.5 and I am due with LO3 (a boy) in 6 weeks.  

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

Re: Disturbing news in my neighborhood -- WWYD?

• Be aware of your surroundings and don't leave your kids alone outside. Don't let him into your home and don't go into his. Reinforce to your kids not to go anywhere with an adult that isn't mom or dad unless you say it's okay.

Also, try to get all the acts before you turn this guy into a monster. Is his mom alerting the neighbors so they can be aware? Or how is this info getting around? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • By law, a sex offender has a short period of time to register his current address or be in violation of the law.  If nothing comes up in 2 weeks and he is still living there, I would call the non emergency police line to report that you believe a non-registered sex offender is living at XXX address 2 houses from your little girls.

Do you know the neighbor's last name?  Can you look up that name in the AK registry?

I would just be vigilant not to leave DD's outside alone.

• Loading the player...
  • Ditto pp. The good news (if there is any) is that he wasn't convicgted for a violent offense. Probably he's not the type to just snatch a kid off the street. Just be very aware and monitor her when she's outside. Is there a law in your area that he can't live within X number of feet of a child? You might look into that.
  • kmc217kmc217 member

Honestly, I'm not sure of the origin of the information. My neighbor just came and told DH, he gave me the basics over the heads of the girls at dinner and I will try to find out more later. I was in the hospital Fri-today so missed the neighborhood gossip line. 

Obviously will be even more vigilant/observant but it just so disturbing to have just settled into this place where we COULD let our 4 year old daughter run out to the mailbox etc. 

That's a good idea about waiting a couple weeks and calling the police line to inquire if he is still not registered. Thanks.  

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• That is disturbing. But, you do know the story and can be extra vigilant in protecting your children from him. I'll be honest and say that I'm more worried about the offenders who haven't been caught than the ones we know the back story on and know to be vigilant around.

I would make sure to not let them play alone outside until they're older and make sure they know what he looks like and never to talk to him. If you haven't already now is the time to talk about the fact that nobody but their doctor and mommy and daddy are to see their vagina.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsMuq:

imageMrs.Hizzo:
    Ditto pp. The good news (if there is any) is that he wasn't convicgted for a violent offense. Probably he's not the type to just snatch a kid off the street. Just be very aware and monitor her when she's outside. Is there a law in your area that he can't live within X number of feet of a child? You might look into that.

I've never seen a law that says a SO can't live within X number of feet of a residence with chidlren in it - just restrictions on living close to places kids congregate such as schools, parks, playgrounds, libraries, and restrictions on living w/in a certain distance to previous victims.

I mean, honestly, if no SO could live within say 1000 yards or whatever of ANY child, they couldn't live anywhere. You'd need to ship them to Siberia (where they belong).

You're right, I guess I was thinking of schools. Too bad, Siberia would be nice, or maybe SO Island.

• imagepenguingrrl:

I'll be honest and say that I'm more worried about the offenders who haven't been caught than the ones we know the back story on and know to be vigilant around.

Ditto this.  Thankfully this guy was dumb enough to get caught (assuming the rumor is true).  Wait a few weeks and call the cops to check on it, you honestly don't know if he did anything wrong or if it's just a rumor that got out of hand.  Keep an eye on your girls and make sure they know who's allowed to touch them and when.  DS1 is 5.5 and we don't touch his penis and he knows if we need to and why, and that only mom and dad can say it's ok if the doctor needs to.  He knows the proper names for everything and we use them 95% of the time, but we also use term "privates" because they're only for him in privacy.

ETA:  Make sure she knows that no matter what anyone says, it's not ok to keep secrets and that she won't be in trouble for telling you the truth.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"