May 2013 Moms
Options

Hip ultrasound for breech baby

My baby B was breech (but came out via c-section) so they are sending her to have a standard hip ultrasound at 7 weeks.  I called to schedule it and they told me she can't be fed for 4 hours before the ultrasound.  What the what?  She likes to eat every 2-3 hours (breastfed) so she is going to be inconsolable by the time we get there.  Anyone else told this? 

I'm already planning to just load her up on formula at the 4 hour mark in hopes that keeps her full longer, but this just seems insane. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hip ultrasound for breech baby

• Options
    my daughter was breech and had a dislocated hip they discovered at birth. She had roughly 2 or 3 ultrasounds her first year and I don't recall being told "no food for x amount of hours"...not saying it didn't happen; I just don't remember. But like you are saying, your baby is going to be inconsolable. I'm sorry. Maybe you could cluster feed her all morning until the cutoff time and  hope she takes in enough during those feedings that she will be ok. 

Hope it turns out that she's fine! I think if it was dislocated though, the Dr would have caught it by now, but I understand it's standard to have one done.
  • Options
    Hope had a hip ultrasound in the hospital and has another one scheduled in a few weeks for the same reason. We were never told to not feed her. I would call and talk to someone about that because that sounds like a nightmare. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Silas went for his first ultrasound 3 weeks ago and has a follow up in a week. We never had to fast him or anything. I wonder why they require that. He would be inconsolable after 4 hours as well. Considering he's screaming while I pump right now and it hasn't even been 2 hrs since his last feeding. Guess it's time to unhook and feed him! Oy!
    TTC since 3/4/2010
    Me: PCOS, DH: normal
    Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
    Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
    Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
    Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
    imageimage
    imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

• Options
    Um why?  Did they tell you why she would need to be NPO for an ultrasound?  I would probably ignore the recommendation unless they could give me a good reason.  
  • Options
    My baby A is having this done at 6 weeks she was also breech and delivered by c section but the hospital didn't say anything about her not eating beforehand. My baby B is having an ultrasound on her kidneys at the same time and they didn't say anything about her not eating either.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DD1 was breech and had to have a hip ultrasound.  We were never told she couldn't eat 4 hours beforehand.

However, she had to have a GI x-ray around 2 months old and wasn't allowed to eat 4 hours before that.  We woke her up to eat as much as she could right at the 4 hour mark and crammed a paci in her mouth to help soothe her with sucking until the x-ray.  We had a bottle ready for the second she was allowed to eat.

• Options
    So apparently the office called my husband back (even though I called, thanks military hospitals) and left a message saying they made a mistake, there is no fasting requirement for the ultrasound.  I thought that sounded suspect.  Thanks girls!
  • Options
    imageGoMaltby18:
    So apparently the office called my husband back even though I called, thanks military hospitals and left a message saying they made a mistake, there is no fasting requirement for the ultrasound. nbsp;I thought that sounded suspect. nbsp;Thanks girls!

Glad to hear it was a mistake. I can't imagine not being able to feed LO for 4 hours!

**BFP 6/2/2015
    Toddler Boy 5/24/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"