April 2013 Moms

Driving with LO

Yesterday I drove with dd is the car for the first time, but my DH was is the back seat with her. I'm really nervous about driving with just her. I felt Ike I couldn't see her in the car mirror that we have. Any suggestions for getting over this fear besides just do it?

Re: Driving with LO

• Reposition your baby mirror or get a different one. It really helps me to be able to see him while driving. It took a while to get the mirror positioned properly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What exactly is your fear? That you can't see if he stops breathing? You don't stare at your baby all night to make sure, right? Your LO shouldn't have anything else around him in his seat no toys so it's not like he can choke or suffocate on anything. Are you worried he might start a scream fest? Possibly, but avoid driving when you know its near feeding time. And sometimes you just have to drive through it, the motion should help calm him down to stop and you can always reach back at a stoplight to give a paci if desperate. Or pull over if it comes to it.

I think you need to relax there will be plenty of things we will have to worry about when it comes to our kids, this shouldn't be one of them :
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't been brave enough to do it yet either. Come close, then chickend out and took DH with us (and he drove).  She loves her carseat and just sleeps the whole time, but I'm afraid that as soon as I go out with her, she'll have a screaming fit.  I plan on taking her for spin around the neighborhood a few times before actually going somewhere specific. 
  • We took our car seat to the police station for an inspection. Once they readjusted it, LO no longer slumps his head as badly. They did not recommend using after market products. I returned the new headrest I had purchased. I was going to get a mirror but they said if there was an accident it could fly or shatter and injury the baby. Granted its my decision if I want to use these items, but I decided not to. There have been a few times where he cried while I drove but I just talked to him as I drove. A few times I pulled into a McDonald's or somewhere to feed him quickly with a bottle. For the most part he just sleeps.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I found the baby mirror to be way too much of a distraction. I swear there were times I spent more time looking at LO then at the road. I couldn't resist checking on her. I took it out so that I could concentrate on driving safely and not checking on her every half second. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Start with small trips. I'm not a big fan of driving around with her but it is so nice to get out of the house.
    Yesterday we went to four stores all in the same shopping center and not that far. Plus one was buy buy baby and they have a nice nursing room so I figured I could stop there if she needed to be fed.
    So my point is to plan something short be flexible and scout a store that works for you.
  • I have been driving alone with DD since she was four days old. It was tough at first but you get used to it (my DH works nights so I have no choice if I want to get things done). Working around her meals is the hardest I find, and it took a while for me to get the timing right. We have definitely had some major meltdowns in the car, but overall it is not so bad. Yesterday I had to drive a half hour to another town for an errand, and she slept the whole way there and back! We don't have a mirror either - I agree with PP that it would be a distraction. 

• tmrchitmrchi member
    I wanted to agree with pp about the mirrors.  I've always heard they are more dangerous because they can hurt the baby if you are in a car accident, and they end up distracting you as you drive by taking your eyes off the road.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • CoachAPCoachAP member
    imagefireflyz56:
    I have been driving alone with DD since she was four days old. It was tough at first but you get used to it my DH works nights so I have no choice if I want to get things done. Working around her meals is the hardest I find, and it took a while for me to get the timing right. We have definitely had some major meltdowns in the car, but overall it is not so bad. Yesterday I had to drive a half hour to another town for an errand, and she slept the whole way there and back! We don't have a mirror either I agree withnbsp;PP that it would be a distraction.nbsp;

You were allowed/ able to drive that soon? Lucky you I couldn't fathom leaving the house until about 2 weeks after!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageCoachAP:
    imagefireflyz56:
    I have been driving alone with DD since she was four days old. It was tough at first but you get used to it my DH works nights so I have no choice if I want to get things done. Working around her meals is the hardest I find, and it took a while for me to get the timing right. We have definitely had some major meltdowns in the car, but overall it is not so bad. Yesterday I had to drive a half hour to another town for an errand, and she slept the whole way there and back! We don't have a mirror either I agree withnbsp;PP that it would be a distraction.nbsp;

You were allowed/ able to drive that soon? Lucky you I couldn't fathom leaving the house until about 2 weeks after!

I had to get out of the house I think it's what kept me sane. There's only been one day, since DH went back to work, that I haven't gotten out with her. It's gotten easier each time plus, the more I do it the quicker I can make sure I have everything I need in the diaper bag, etc... Definitely get out with your LO, you will be so glad you did!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Driving was scary the first couple of weeks because DD's head was resting on her chest and it totally freaked me out. I ended up putting a couple receiving blankets under the back of the car seat base to elevate it some. It's still showing green on the level, and her head no longer slumps. Now I don't worry at all. I think the PPs had some good advice to give as well. Just start taking small trips and gradually increase the distance you go. You'll feel better the more you travel with LO. 
  • ktr722ktr722 member
    Thank you to those who understood where I was coming from. I am not a bi fan of driving, and living in the city, I can walk mostly anywhere I need to go. I did drive with dd by myself and it wasn't bad at all. She really likes the car ended up falling asleep.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"