3rd Trimester

just need a break...vent

I have a very active toddler who JUST turned 3, everyone describes her as "busy". she is for the most part a great little girl, but just is constantly on the go. I am 36 weeks pregnant and it is really hard for me to keep up with her. DH doesn't seem to get it at all. our only bathroom is upstairs and when she has to go, she has to go NOW. it is hard for me to get her up the stairs fast enough to go potty or just get up the stairs in general. we have tried putting a potty chair downstairs, which works great, but that still means someone has to go upstairs to dump it. The stairs kill me. I also just really can't keep up with her in general. Normally I can, but I am sore and tired. DH just doesn't get it. I do work full time and by the time I get home I am super tired even though my job isn't physically demanding at all. DH only works 7/14 days and I get that his days that he does work are long (12 hours) but since he only works 7/14 days he is home with DD a lot and he knows how busy she is. he is actually only with her alone 2 days/week. He can keep up with her just fine so her being so active doesn't phase him a bit. when I am with her alone (like today, since DH did have to work, and he also works every other weekend) I feel like that is more work than actually going to work. don't get me wrong, I love DD and DH to death, but I am so tired of being pregnant and sore and just want a minute to myself when he gets home. DH just got home and the first thing he asks me is "whats for supper?" yesterday we decided to just go to the mall to walk around a bit (it has been really cold here) and DH is a fast walker, I had to ask him to slow down so I could actually walk with him. I guess what I am venting about is I just need some help from him a little and maybe a bit of a break. Thanks for listening. 

Re: just need a break...vent

• feel free to vent away
  • I would not put up with that from my husband. He's just as much a parent as I am, he needs to step up and help with your kids. I would have a serious talk with him because it's not going to get any better once baby #2 gets here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • he is normally great with DD, so I don't know what has happened the last few weeks. 
  • I feel your pain and tireness with a constantly on the go toddler. DD is the same and doesn't seem to need naps anymore. Getting her to take one at all these days is next to impossible. She just wants to go go go!

Can you talk to your husband about this? He doesn't seem to be listening to you? Have you brought it up? Don't suffer silently. You need to sit down and explain it to your husband. He might be more receptive if you tell him how tired you are. 

I don't mean for this to sound mean, but telling us is great for venting purposes, but it doesn't actually HELP you. Talk to him and explain that you need more help. 

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imagePrimRoseMama:
    I feel your pain and tireness with a constantly on the go toddler. DD is the same and doesn't seem to need naps anymore. Getting her to take one at all these days is next to impossible. She just wants to go go go!

Can you talk to your husband about this? He doesn't seem to be listening to you? Have you brought it up? Don't suffer silently. You need to sit down and explain it to your husband. He might be more receptive if you tell him how tired you are. 

I don't mean for this to sound mean, but telling us is great for venting purposes, but it doesn't actually HELP you. Talk to him and explain that you need more help. 

are you sure we don't have the same kid? lol she will nap for him, she won't nap for me and once in a while at daycare she will, but that is usually if they go to the park in the morning (she goes to an in home). yes, I have told him, but I guess I need to talk to him more and I do understand that venting doesn't really help the situation, except to vent.  

• imagesugar212:
    imagePrimRoseMama:
    I feel your pain and tireness with a constantly on the go toddler. DD is the same and doesn't seem to need naps anymore. Getting her to take one at all these days is next to impossible. She just wants to go go go!

are you sure we don't have the same kid? lol she will nap for him, she won't nap for me and once in a while at daycare she will, but that is usually if they go to the park in the morning (she goes to an in home). yes, I have told him, but I guess I need to talk to him more and I do understand that venting doesn't really help the situation, except to vent.  

DD is the opposite. She will nap for me more than for H. When H is home then forget it. She wants to play play play with Daddy. She plays with me every day but since he works so much she feels like she has to go go go to get his attention while he is here. He loves it and takes advantage. Its really sweet.

Definitely talk to your husband again. My husband has always been very observant and proactive about household chores, cooking and helping with DD. He's a great partner, but even he has some issues with some feather brains every now and then. I think your husband just needs to have a good sit down and clear communications of your needs.

Keep trying, but I do know the days that you want to cry when the kid won't nap.  

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I can relate.  I have a very active little girl who just turned 4.  She has a hard time entertaining herself.  Constantly she is asking me, "Mommy, come play with me"...it's hard to hear that and tell her I'm too busy or too tired but of course, sometimes I must.  She doesn't nap for me either but we've found out that it's for the best.  Because she doesn't nap, she goes to bed super early.  The last 2 nights she has been in bed at 7:30 which gives DH and I some neccessary alone time. 

Venting is important and communication with your husband is also key.  Sounds like you do deserve a break--maybe get a babysitter or take a day off from work so you can go to a spa or just sit at home and do nothing?  I take those days for myself occasionally.  I usually end up doing cleaning or organizing around the house but just being alone is a great relief! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Come up with what you can to make your life easier. I have 2 toddlers and am 39 weeks, so I get it. We are huge on meal planning, so I can get the crock pot ready the night before or whatever and my husband makes dinner more often than I do. Either way, what we are having is written down so whoever can starts first.

As for the potty, dress your daughter in clothes she can manage herself and put a step by the toilet. She should be able to get there by herself, so you'll only need to help her wipe or check in on her when you get there. Heading in this direction now will make it easier when baby is born.

Maybe your husband is just oblivious to what it is like for you being 8 months pregnant. Be more direct about what you need, and I'm sure that will clear things up. Instead of saying "I'm exhausted" or "you don't get it," say "I need you to carry the laundry upstairs" or whatever you want.
  • WhitWedWhitWed member
    I can sympathize with having to chase around a toddler, go up and down stairs, and work full time. Just in the last two weeks I haven't been able to breathe at all and it's really getting to me. I've been really active with DD this pregnancy up until recently and DH has been awesome with her, but he hasn't been the most understanding for me.  I have had to start saying to DD "go ask daddy to help" because I can't do much at all anymore. Bending over and lifting something is out of the question. He definitely doesn't get it at all because he thinks I'm exaggerating or makes comments about it.  I hate it and I'm ready to be able to move, breathe, and get on with life.  Counting the days with you!
  • Just wanted to say it soon shall pass.  Its a phase.  Enjoy your pregnancy and the time with your "go go go" dd.  These moments will go fast!  Just embrace the alone time you have as a family of 3 before the arrival of your baby.
    lolololo
  • Would it be wrong to say that if I were in your shoes I'd have considered dumping DD's pee down the kitchen sink to avoid the extra trips up the stairs? Embarrassed
    "What are you having?" "Well the radiologist says its a healthy little human baby. I'm a little disappointed, because I really wanted a puppy." LOL
  • imageAprilAngie:
    Just wanted to say it soon shall pass.  Its a phase.  Enjoy your pregnancy and the time with your "go go go" dd.  These moments will go fast!  Just embrace the alone time you have as a family of 3 before the arrival of your baby.

Thank you, I needed this!  

• imageCourtimilk:
    Would it be wrong to say that if I were in your shoes I'd have considered dumping DD's pee down the kitchen sink to avoid the extra trips up the stairs? Embarrassed

I have to admit, I read this wrong and pictured myself letting DD actually pee in the sink. thanks for the laugh! 

• imagesugar212:
    imagePrimRoseMama:

My son sleeps more frequently for my husband also.  He gets him to run around like a wild man to get all of the energy out.  When I get really tired I will take my son to the park or outside to play and it gives me a timeout.  As soon as we get home he will sleep for 2 hours.  Also, I agree that you just need to talk to him.  If he doesn't get the point then, it might take some tears to go along with it so he truly understands! 

• I can definitely sympathize. I also have a son who just turned 3 and is sooo wild from the moment he wakes up in the morning...plus I have a 21 month old girl... AND we are moving this weekend. I'm so exhausted and feel like a broken record to DH when he gets home about how I can't move etc.

You just need to tell him you need more from him than you are getting. For some reason they don't seen to understand that the more pregnant we get the harder the simplest tasks are for us. Don't be a martyr just flat out give him instructions on what you need him to do for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH needs to pitch in more, tired or not, too bad. I am a SAHM and luckily my daughter has been great so far about me not being able to do a lot, but I told my husband that he needs to pick up the slack. I realize he works and has long hours, but physically I'm shot, he needs to realize that the physical toll is too much
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCourtimilk:
    Would it be wrong to say that if I were in your shoes I'd have considered dumping DD's pee down the kitchen sink to avoid the extra trips up the stairs? Embarrassed

Seems like common sense to me! 

Due with #5 April 22, 2015. It's a girl!!!!! 

Yes it was planned, yes we know what causes that, no we are not on public assistance, and yes we will be getting cable after this. ;)

• I think you described my life right now hahahaha!  Except I have a 3 yr old...no stairs and my husband does business personal property tax so I just got him back a week ago as r

their busy season has ended... We hardly see him jan-may....it's finally nice having him home as I'm 37 wks as of today and am on bed rest...hubby was forced to step up and help! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"