December 2012 Moms

Why BLW?

No need to flame, but I don't understand why people would do this when there is little research on it and there have been reports of choking. I just pur?ed some sweet potato and mango for DD and she loves her cereal. I'm excited to try new foods with her in the up coming weeks and I will wait on larger food until she is older and more capable. 

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Why BLW?

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    I don't necessarily do BLW I just do table food at around 9 months prior to that its just EBM. This is my 3rd baby I've done this with. I dont agree with the AAP, I think 4 to 6 months is too young for food, what's the reason plus I prefer a virgin gut for health purposes. At 9 months baby food is pointless their capable of regular food. DD2 was 9 months old with no teeth and loving steak.

I also wanted to add, as far as little research, what do you think people used prior to baby food. They would have nursed until they were old AND ready enough for regular food.
  • I feel the same. I don't really see a problem with purees. LO loves them. I will also wait until he is older to give him bigger chunks of food. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • There is plenty of research on BLW. Babies can choke regardless of how they are fed. They are just learning how to chew, it's to be expected. I chose to do BLW, because it makes the most sense to me after having a kid already. It makes sense to allow your babies to experiece food for themselves and not be force fed their 2oz of fruits and veggies each day. It's about playing with tastes, textures, and practicing how to chew. Spoon feeding teaches none of those things. Since when you puree all the real experience of the food is taken away. Plus your pushing food past where babies' gag reflux is, which can cause them to choke as well.

I dunno, I've spoon fed my last child. It was fun at first, but eventually it got to be a struggle to even get her to eat them. She wanted to feed herself. So I gave her table food. That was about 7-8 months old. So, instead of 1 month of easy feeding and 2 months of struggle before table foods I'd rather just skip the purees and allow my son to pick what he eat and feed himself. Since solids are about teaching them how to feed themselves after all. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNana_Osaki06:
    There is plenty of research on BLW. Babies can choke regardless of how they are fed. They are just learning how to chew, it's to be expected. I chose to do BLW, because it makes the most sense to me after having a kid already. It makes sense to allow your babies to experiece food for themselves and not be force fed their 2oz of fruits and veggies each day. It's about playing with tastes, textures, and practicing how to chew. Spoon feeding teaches none of those things. Since when you puree all the real experience of the food is taken away. Plus your pushing food past where babies' gag reflux is, which can cause them to choke as well. I dunno, I've spoon fed my last child. It was fun at first, but eventually it got to be a struggle to even get her to eat them. She wanted to feed herself. So I gave her table food. That was about 78 months old. So, instead of 1 month of easy feeding and 2 months of struggle before table foods I'd rather just skip the purees and allow my son to pick what he eat and feed himself. Since solids are about teaching them how to feed themselves after all.nbsp;

I agree with all of this, other than what's mentioned about experience from a previous child since I'm a FTM! Babies can gag or choke regardless of how they're fed... And gagging is a natural part of them learning how food works in their own mouths. Part of the appeal for me was not having to spend money on baby food, not having to spend extra time preparing my own homemade baby food, and the fact that it helps with fine motor skill development. We started a few days ago and I love that I can just give DD what's on my plate and she's having a blast exploring it!
  • I had planned on doing BLW this time around, but I have so many food allergies I decided not to. Plus she was going nuts wanting food before I was comfortable giving her mine.

I actually think it's pretty cool and makes sense. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • I prefer to do things the child-led way with me acting as a guide rather than me doing things for her when possible. We have a very Montessori-centered house for her and BLW goes right along with that. She can control how much she eats without me spoon feeding her. We actually gave her dinner tonight. Sweet potato slices and couscous, which was part of what we were having. She loved it. Only ate a few bites and played with the rest, but quantity isn't so important right now. Yesterday I broke a banana in half for her at breakfast and she ate a few bites and was done. No choking. She did very well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CellisCellis member

image*LrCg*:
    I don't necessarily do BLW I just do table food at around 9 months prior to that its just EBM. This is my 3rd baby I've done this with. I dont agree with the AAP, I think 4 to 6 months is too young for food, what's the reason plus I prefer a virgin gut for health purposes. At 9 months baby food is pointless their capable of regular food. DD2 was 9 months old with no teeth and loving steak. I also wanted to add, as far as little research, what do you think people used prior to baby food. They would have nursed until they were old AND ready enough for regular food.

Do you give your LOs vitamins (prior to 9 months)? I kind of like this idea of waiting and only bfing until then. I'm just concerned about DS's iron and vitamin D levels. We go outside daily so I think that's taking care of vitamin D (we live in the south and are very fair skinned), but I was thinking of giving him red meat to give him more iron. I just never really thought of holding off on solids until he was 9 months, but that sounds like a good idea to me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • We are doing BLW. I planned to wait til 6 months as per AAP, WHO and Health Canada. I also planned to skip cereal (not much nutrition to it, and iron is more easily absorbed from other sources), Health Canada states to start at 6 months with any iron rich food. BLW wasn't much of a stretch then because a 6 month old has more skills than a 4 month old and can manage to pick things up and move food around in their mouth. Because I EBF I like the idea of LO continuing to control her diet and appetite. 

Im comfortable with the amount of research, and we have no food allergies in our family. I already cook the kind of foods suggested and don't use added salt. So I expect it to be a big convenience, simply putting a bit of everything on her tray and sitting down to my own supper next to her.  

• I like the idea of my child being able to explore and have fun with food. Also, I don't want to give my child something I wouldn't eat myself, and jar food is GROSS...I don't have time to make my own purees and I have had several friends do some form of BLW and it just looks like the best choice for us.

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    imageCellis:
    imageLrCg:
    I don't necessarily do BLW I just do table food at around 9 months prior to that its just EBM. This is my 3rd baby I've done this with. I dont agree with the AAP, I think 4 to 6 months is too young for food, what's the reason plus I prefer a virgin gut for health purposes. At 9 months baby food is pointless their capable of regular food. DD2 was 9 months old with no teeth and loving steak.

I also wanted to add, as far as little research, what do you think people used prior to baby food. They would have nursed until they were old AND ready enough for regular food.
    Do you give your LOs vitamins prior to 9 months? I kind of like this idea of waiting and only bfing until then. I'm just concerned about DS's iron and vitamin D levels. We go outside daily so I think that's taking care of vitamin D we live in the south and are very fair skinned, but I was thinking of giving him red meat to give him more iron. I just never really thought of holding off on solids until he was 9 months, but that sounds like a good idea to me.nbsp;[/quote

No I EBF so no need to give vitamins. I know some pedi doctors say to give BF babies vitamins but I think that's nuts, as do several lactation consultants I spoke with, breastfeeding expert Dr Jack Newman and our doctor. Like I said, I think a virgin gut is very important and frankly nothing is better than BM so I don't see a reason to add food now.
  • aelhuntaelhunt member
    Thanks for the input mommas. I think we will still wait for more solid foods and stick with the mush. I am excited to start more foods this month with her and we grow our own mangos so I am hoping that she likes those!

'I loved you for a thousand years and I will love you for a thousand more'

• I do more of a combination between BLW and purees. My baby loves to play with food while she's eating. If you respect some elementary rules of BLW you should not be afraid of choking: just cut the food the appropriate size and be there and watch your baby. You should also try some different veggies and fruits and see what your baby likes. I'm not good at knowing what to give to my baby but i always find different fruits and vegetables,here: https://goodmomming.com/  there're specific for age. I use it and I had no incidents!

• CellisCellis member

image*LrCg*:
    imageCellis:
    imageLrCg:
    I don't necessarily do BLW I just do table food at around 9 months prior to that its just EBM. This is my 3rd baby I've done this with. I dont agree with the AAP, I think 4 to 6 months is too young for food, what's the reason plus I prefer a virgin gut for health purposes. At 9 months baby food is pointless their capable of regular food. DD2 was 9 months old with no teeth and loving steak. I also wanted to add, as far as little research, what do you think people used prior to baby food. They would have nursed until they were old AND ready enough for regular food.
    Do you give your LOs vitamins prior to 9 months? I kind of like this idea of waiting and only bfing until then. I'm just concerned about DS's iron and vitamin D levels. We go outside daily so I think that's taking care of vitamin D we live in the south and are very fair skinned, but I was thinking of giving him red meat to give him more iron. I just never really thought of holding off on solids until he was 9 months, but that sounds like a good idea to me.nbsp;
     No I EBF so no need to give vitamins. I know some pedi doctors say to give BF babies vitamins but I think that's nuts, as do several lactation consultants I spoke with, breastfeeding expert Dr Jack Newman and our doctor. Like I said, I think a virgin gut is very important and frankly nothing is better than BM so I don't see a reason to add food now.

I EBF as well and the pedi keeps telling me to give DS vitamins (iron and vitamin D). I have put it off because I feel like you do (virgin gut) and I just think there are better ways to get vitamins than a supplement that has other stuff in it, not to mention our bodies don't absorb vitamins very efficiently through supplements.  

• I think it depends on what YOU are comfortable with.  One poster here said their kid was chewing on steak at 9 months or something.  I don't think I'd offer a chewy piece of steak to my 2 year old.  But I'm paranoid like that.  Now giving s kid some sweet potato slices or avocado slices to gnaw on would be ok with me, but I would probably wait until like 9 months or so.  I plan on starting purees over the summer and hope to make more of them myself than I did with DS.  My pediatrician has never recommended vitamins, and when I asked one time, he told me they don't need them (for both of my kids).

I started out DS of purees and once he actually got the hang of stuff then I would thicken with the cereal (he hated just cereal alone) and started with those mum mums (those were awesome) to help teach about bigger food pieces.

• *LrCg**LrCg* member
    imageCellis:

image*LrCg*:
    imageCellis:
    imageLrCg:
    Do you give your LOs vitamins prior to 9 months? I kind of like this idea of waiting and only bfing until then. I'm just concerned about DS's iron and vitamin D levels. We go outside daily so I think that's taking care of vitamin D we live in the south and are very fair skinned, but I was thinking of giving him red meat to give him more iron. I just never really thought of holding off on solids until he was 9 months, but that sounds like a good idea to me.nbsp;

I EBF as well and the pedi keeps telling me to give DS vitamins (iron and vitamin D). I have put it off because I feel like you do (virgin gut) and I just think there are better ways to get vitamins than a supplement that has other stuff in it, not to mention our bodies don't absorb vitamins very efficiently through supplements.  

To be honest, I never really pay attention to what my doctor says, I do what I feel comfortable with.  However, it took me a few doctors to find one I liked and but the one I have now (and have had for the past 3 years), respects that I am the parent and he's just a doctor for when I need medical help.   Here's a link to Dr. Jack Newman's breastfeeding myths: https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27:myths-of-breastfeeding&catid=5:articles&Itemid=17

You may find it very useful.  Dr. Jack Newman is the leading expert in breastfeeding.  In fact, I used his advise when my son weaned when he was 10 months old (I was pregnant at the time and he didn't like the way the milk changed in taste) and just put him on straight cows milk early.  My doctor was not opposed to it especially after I gave him Dr. Newman's articles on it and said well if he's low on iron, we'll find out at his 1 year check up and when the time came, he was as healthy as ever.  

Best of luck to you!

Oh and to a PP, I want to clarify about my 9 month old eating steak- please understand her steak piece wasn't the size of what an adult steak piece would be.  It was more shredded.  When babies are that young, I try to keep pieces about the size of a pea.
  • CellisCellis member
    image*LrCg*:

To be honest, I never really pay attention to what my doctor says, I do what I feel comfortable with.  However, it took me a few doctors to find one I liked and but the one I have now (and have had for the past 3 years), respects that I am the parent and he's just a doctor for when I need medical help.   Here's a link to Dr. Jack Newman's breastfeeding myths: https://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=27:myths-of-breastfeeding&catid=5:articles&Itemid=17

You may find it very useful.  Dr. Jack Newman is the leading expert in breastfeeding.  In fact, I used his advise when my son weaned when he was 10 months old (I was pregnant at the time and he didn't like the way the milk changed in taste) and just put him on straight cows milk early.  My doctor was not opposed to it especially after I gave him Dr. Newman's articles on it and said well if he's low on iron, we'll find out at his 1 year check up and when the time came, he was as healthy as ever.  

Best of luck to you!

Oh and to a PP, I want to clarify about my 9 month old eating steak- please understand her steak piece wasn't the size of what an adult steak piece would be.  It was more shredded.  When babies are that young, I try to keep pieces about the size of a pea.

Thank you!

And sorry for going off on another topic on your thread! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"