August 2012 Moms

Is anyone else...

Nervous about weaning from BM/formula to whole milk and food, when the time comes?

I'm really nervous about it, man. Ds is a great eater most of the time, but he still has days where he won't touch any solid food. On normal days, he may drink 3 oz tops of water; he mostly plays with it. I know toddlers need about 16 or so oz of milk, I wouldn't have any earthly idea how to get him to consume that much.

Maybe I should just bf forever? Lol.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is anyone else...

• I'm more so concerned about getting him to drink milk from a sippy than anything. I'm not a big milk drinker and neither is my hubs. So hopefully he takes after his g parents and likes it
  • Yes, because I feel like I have no clue how to cut out feedings!
  • Loading the player...
  • megmb24megmb24 member
    My DF jokes that I will be bfing until she is 5. The one year mark seriously scares me. I'm hoping she gets teeth by then because I still don't feel comfortable with most table foods.
  • A little because he's a voracious nurser and eater. I don't want to think about how much he will eat when he no longer nurses and I have no clue how to cut out feedings. I've always nursed when he asks. Am I supposed to refuse and offer milk or just let him direct the weaning? I am happy to continue until two.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imagemegmb24:
    My DF jokes that I will be bfing until she is 5. The one year mark seriously scares me. I'm hoping she gets teeth by then because I still don't feel comfortable with most table foods.

Just to ease your mind a little, they don't use their first teeth to chew. They gum the foods in the back where their molars will be. As long as it's pea sized and soft, it should be fine. Howell will use his front teeth to bite bigger things but then he chews with his back gums.
    Then and now. How did my boy get so big? 

• imageBaker_Bride:
    A little because he's a voracious nurser and eater. I don't want to think about how much he will eat when he no longer nurses and I have no clue how to cut out feedings. I've always nursed when he asks. Am I supposed to refuse and offer milk or just let him direct the weaning? I am happy to continue until two.
    I think I'll just go with the "don't ask, don't refuse" way of weaning. I'll probably continue to nurse until he's 2.
  • ks3pinkks3pink member
    I'm really nervous because our boys just don't like food! They also still eat in the motn. I keep working with them and hoping it all falls into place!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I found a sippy cup that has a top like DS's bottles. He was able to drink from it but only when I tipped it up.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LOL, you should not breastfeed forever. Weanig is not an easy way to go. You should just be patient.. Try different foods I'm using https://goodmomming.com to choose the right solids for my LO, it got all the stress from me, except from the mess :)) You could use it when your baby embraces solids.

• SJandVASJandVA member
    Not nervous. Because I plan on letting her self wean, Milk will just be one more thing that is offered. If you plan to let LO self wean as well, you'll find that nursing sessions slowly start to drop over time. It really does just happen.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • SJandVASJandVA member
    imageJayandEmm:
    imageBaker_Bride:
    A little because he's a voracious nurser and eater. I don't want to think about how much he will eat when he no longer nurses and I have no clue how to cut out feedings. I've always nursed when he asks. Am I supposed to refuse and offer milk or just let him direct the weaning? I am happy to continue until two.
    I think I'll just go with the "don't ask, don't refuse" way of weaning. I'll probably continue to nurse until he's 2.

This is what I did for DD1. The day time feedings dropped off gradually. But she nursed to sleep and when she woke up until, 3. I really would like my boobs back. I'm hoping DD2 doesn't go that long.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Totally! DS is so so picky and throws a fit with solid foods more times than not . He also plays with his sippee and doesn't drink from it. He rejects bottles with us (barely takes 1 on a good day with the daycare people) so I'm so afraid of weaning, drying up my supply, and he won't have any means to hydrate and eat. I hope he eventually gets the sippee thing.
  • It doesn't really worry me too much, but mostly because he doesn't ever reject food it seems, even when he is teething. If he was more picky or had more days of rejecting food I would probably worry though.
    imageimage
  • Toni79Toni79 member

I'm super nervous about it!  I just don't see how DD will take less bottles of BM during the day.

I think if I was a SAHM, I'd feel differant about it.  Knowing that DD would just take less and less each time we nursed.  But I pump at work and send 3 4oz bottles to her sitter everyday.  I nurse her frequently when we are together.  I'm sure she has started to take less and less from me when we are together (since she's getting solids), but as long as I'm sending 12 oz of BM to the sitters she's going to continue to take that.  I guess I coulf just swap out those 12oz for WCM when its time and then continue to nurse when we are together.  I'm not sure I;m ready to give up nursing yet.

Like a PP mentioned, I plan on letting DD lead.  But I'm not sure how to handle that when we are apart and I pump.

If anyone can referance any good readingmaterial, I'l love to know about it!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"