Stay at Home Moms

Laundry

My brother and sil asked if they can do their LO laundry at my house. She's due any day and wants to wash all of her clothes beforehand. They usually go to the laundromat. I don't mind this time or maybe even occasionally but how do I kindly ask them not to make it a habit. I have my own laundry to do plus we don't want a high water bill from extra loads.

Re: Laundry

• I would wait until it becomes an issue. If this is the first time they have asked, there's no reason to assume that they're going to make a habit out of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageJellyBellyStar:

Are you not close with them?  Can you not afford the additional cost of them using their washing machine?  

In this type of situation, I'd just let them use it and not see the issue.  Do they seem like the type that would continuously come over?  If so, then I'd let them know the next time but I'd feel really horrible informing a 9 month pregnant woman that right now not to expect to be able to use it again.  

Exactly. I can't imagine a nice/polite way to even say that without making them feel like crap for having asked. I don't know the last time you went to a laundromat but there usually isn't somewhere comfortable to sit and they're hot. She's 9 month pregnant, give her a break.

• Loading the player...
  • imageQueSyrah:
    imageJellyBellyStar:

Are you not close with them?  Can you not afford the additional cost of them using their washing machine?  

In this type of situation, I'd just let them use it and not see the issue.  Do they seem like the type that would continuously come over?  If so, then I'd let them know the next time but I'd feel really horrible informing a 9 month pregnant woman that right now not to expect to be able to use it again.  

Exactly. I can't imagine a nice/polite way to even say that without making them feel like crap for having asked. I don't know the last time you went to a laundromat but there usually isn't somewhere comfortable to sit and they're hot. She's 9 month pregnant, give her a break.

i actually don't mind right now especially since she s 9 months. I can see it as an issue if/ when she wants to do their family laundry on a reg basis. My dh and I are on a budget. For example I buy LO clothes on sale and i barely buy anything for myself and do my own hair and nails. My sil buys everything full price and goes to the salon a couple times a month. She looks down on me bc I am "thrifty". I don't feel they make very wise financial decisions and end up coming to us for help often. Again I don't mind unless it becomes a habit. Just wondering how I can be tactful yet polite about it.

• imageblushingbride_08:
    imageQueSyrah:
    imageJellyBellyStar:

i actually don't mind right now especially since she s 9 months. I can see it as an issue if/ when she wants to do their family laundry on a reg basis. My dh and I are on a budget. For example I buy LO clothes on sale and i barely buy anything for myself and do my own hair and nails. My sil buys everything full price and goes to the salon a couple times a month. She looks down on me bc I am "thrifty". I don't feel they make very wise financial decisions and end up coming to us for help often. Again I don't mind unless it becomes a habit. Just wondering how I can be tactful yet polite about it.

"Sorry, SIL you'll have to go to the laundromat becuae I disagree with your lifestyle choices."

What does any of that have to do with the fact that ONE time they asked to use your laundry? 

• You're making an issue out of this, before it's an issue.

See what happens in the future. If it's a problem just say, "Hey. My laundry is here for you as a favor once in awhile. However, I have so much of my own to do having yours here all of the time is problematic. Please hit the laundromat instead." You don't have to be mean about it. Just honest.

And I'm thrifty too, but I can't imagine an extra load or two of laundry adds that much to the water bill. Just pay it forward and chalk it up to a good deed. Lifestyle choices be damned. It's only laundry.

FWIW,I have my own laundry setup in my house but asked my MIL (who lives right by me) if I could use her laundry too when I was 8 months pregnant and setting up stuff. Just made the process go quicker and I wanted it done.

• imageI Heart The 80s:
    Truthfully, I'd have her drop all the clothing off at my house and I'd wash and fold it for her. That makes me sad that she is 9 months pregnant and worried about having to go to a laundromat to wash the baby clothes. I can't imagine the water bill being an issue. Pay it forward.

This.

• Have you ever had to deal with the laundromat while pregnant or with your kids with you? I did for a few years while living in NYC and it's the pits. We usually drove an hour and a half to our parents to do laundry because it was so difficult. I would gladly have paid them for the water and power as well because the gas and tolls to get there and the increase in their bills was still a lot cheaper than the laundromat and less hassle with the kids.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She might just want to do that first wash before baby comes in a clean washer and dryer and that's it. I know I didn't love the idea of washing DDs clothes at our complex's laundry room for the first time before she arrived but I did.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker TickerVisit my Etsy shop for adorable baby bows: Rachelle's Baby Boutique
  • IF it even becomes an issue (big "if"), and it's inconveniencing you in terms of doing your own laundry, or maybe you just don't like them being over all the time, fine. Tell them that you aren't able to accommodate them on a regular basis and they need to figure something else out. But complaining about the water bill makes you sound incredibly cheap. It's a couple loads of laundry, for pete's sake...do you really think that's affecting your budget?
  • ta78ta78 member

I personally could care less if my SIL wanted to come over multiple times a week to do laundry. It isn't that much more for water.

i am guessing that she just doesn't want to go to the laundromat 9 months pregnant. Sheesh. Help her out. If it continues and you don't want her doing it there, then you can say something. Do not make the pregnant lady feel bad. 

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• I agree with pps. Also, if it ever were to become an issue, you could also offer to watch your niece/nephew so she could go to the laundromat without having to bring the baby along.

Letting a friend use my washer/dryer wouldn't be a big deal for me. I did do this once for a friend who was moving and her washer broke right before! She came over and we had a pizza party with the kids. It was so fun.
    _____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 4 kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby A 1/13/14

• Huh.  Having recently added a child to our family, and thus a ton of laundry, there is a definite increase in both the water and electric bill (running the dryer.)  We are cheap (ahem, read that as "poor") though and a few extra bucks added over time does mess with our budget.  OP:  I wouldn't make a big deal of it this one time, but say something if it becomes a habit.  If it's just about the money, you could ask them to chip in if they want to use it on a regular basis.  If you don't want company, offer to wash for her this time and return the clean clothes later.  I wouldn't want to sit in a laundry mat with all the tiny little clothes either.  :(

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"