March 2013 Moms

Sucking hands

Is sucking on their hands always a hunger cue? LO has been sucking on his hands non stop lately...
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Sucking hands

• Not for us. LO sucks his for comfort. He does not take a passy but he does this to go to sleep and just to pass the time. When he is hungry he is very vigorous.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Nope! LO loves to do this pretty much tries to shove her entire fist in her mouth! Does it all the time!
  • Loading the player...
  • Our LO does this all the time, too.  Hasn't seemed to find a thumb or anything yet.  He's kind of hit & miss when it comes to using a pacifier.  For him, I don't think it's necessarily a hunger cue.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not always!

DS1 -6/25/11

DS2 -3/23/13

Missed MC D&C 8/26/14

DD - 8/26/15

LO#4 due 5/30/17

• Nope! When they discover their hands they will do it for hunger, comfort, or out of excitement during play!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • Lex703Lex703 member
    imagejdveatch:
    Our LO does this all the time, too.nbsp; Hasn't seemed to find a thumb or anything yet.nbsp; He's kind of hit amp; miss when it comes to using a pacifier.nbsp; For him, I don't think it's necessarily a hunger cue.

Same here!
  • shellmhshellmh member
    They're discovering things using their mouth at this age. DS discovered his hands a couple weeks ago and they are constantly in his mouth now along with his arms, bib, my hands, my arm, etc. He is perfectly content to just sit there sucking away... Very loudly usually which was pretty funny during quiet parts of church this weekend!!
  • makeenemakeene member
    If LO's hands secreted milk I would have the easiest life ever. She just uses them for comfort and there is NO getting them out of her mouth!
  • Yep, my LO discovered her hands this week. We're amazed that she can almost fit her whole fist in there. Not a hunger cue for her as she'll do it right after she eats too. I think it's just her newest trick, so it's fun for her. But the drool, yikes!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Not for us! LO sucks on her hands and thumb all the time. It drives me crazy when we are out and someone sees her doing this and says oh your baby is really hungry....ug!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My Lo only sucks on his hands when he is hungry. Sometimes I have a hard time getting them away to get the bottle in.
  • imageJenBee74:
    Yep, my LO discovered her hands this week. We're amazed that she can almost fit her whole fist in there. Not a hunger cue for her as she'll do it right after she eats too. I think it's just her newest trick, so it's fun for her. But the drool, yikes!!

This sounds exactly like my LO too!

And, yes, he does it when he's hungry too and it's difficult for me to get a bottle in his mouth because of it.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Our LO does this as well. It is not a hunger cue- at 8-10 weeks they go through a 'developmental growth spurt' and finding their hands is part of this phase. It is called a wonder week (read the book). Our LO loves her hands and loves shoving them into her mouth! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"