Breastfeeding

Talking to baby's sibling about breastfeed ing

Just occurred to me that perhaps we should talk to our just turned five year old son about me breastfeeding his brother once he arrives.  How did you handle this?  Any tips or issues that have have arisen from it so I can feel more prepared for his questions/comments?  Thanks, ladies.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Talking to baby's sibling about breastfeed ing

• I have an 8 yr old DD my DD2 is almost 3 weeks. I didn't really explain it to her. She just knows that's how her sister eats. I also have a 6 yr old SS but I don't BF in front of him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I did BF him so that is a good jumping on point if it comes up.  Thanks to both of you. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemrscjmb9410:

I would just answer questions when they arise. Only answer the question he is asking...don't give info he didn't ask for. If in your preparations for becoming a big brother (reading books, watching videos, seeing other babies) you observe a baby eating (either BF or bottle), I would just say, hey, look that baby is having milk. When Baby comes, s/he will have milk too.  If he asks if the baby will have milk in a bottle, you could explain briefly what your plans are.

Did you BF big brother? (No judgement, just curious, as that could help steer the convo.)

Example:

Big Brother: What are you doing with Baby?

Mom: S/he's having milk, like you did when you were a baby.

BB: From your tummy?

Mom: Not from my tummy, from my breasts.

This--

Let them form their own questions :) its fun for you too

The other day I explained to DD that she drank cows milk and she wanted to know if DS was drinking sheeps milk haha

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • a13049a13049 member
    While on leave I babysit my 2 yo nephew and 5 to niece. They both have breastfed their baby dolls and bears. We have never had to have a conversation they just understand that babies eat differently.

• My DD was only 18 months old when DS was born, but we call breastfeeding "Leche" so that she doesn't yell "BOOBS!" when he's feeding, like some other toddlers I know, lol. I just talk about it matter-of-factly to her. When she points or stares, I just say, "baby is drinking leche". Or when baby is crying, "time for baby to have leche." Her little voice saying "leche" is a lot more comfortable in public places than if she were yelling about boobs.
    daughter born June 2011 via C-Section, son born November 2012 via VBAC
  • My son is only 2.5 but I say "mommy is helping DD eat."  I usually follow it with something he can "help" with like "can you help get her a blankie?"  We talk about how babies need lots of help when they are little.  

image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"