Health & Exercise

Exercises for flabby postpartum stomach?

Hi everyone!

I am currently about 4 weeks postpartum. I gained 30 lbs during my pregnancy and have already lost 33 lbs simply due to breastfeeding/eating pretty healthy. I feel good about that, but I hate the way my stomach looks now.

I know that it's going to take time for things to get closer to "normal," and that's fine, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend specific exercises that can help me work on my stomach to help things along somewhat. Currently the only exercise I am doing is walking with baby, and I will wait until I get the all-clear from my doctor before I start doing anything more intense, but I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks! 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
Rhys - born 04.17.2013
Harry - born 04.18.2016

Re: Exercises for flabby postpartum stomach?

• There is no miracle exercise for that.  It is loose skin, not a muscle to be worked.  I've lost 40+ lbs. from my pre pregnancy weight, am in a size 0 and work my off in the gym as well as have made huge changes to my diet...and I still have that extra skin hanging there (nearly 2 years later).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • same as poster above.  If only I could get a tummy tuck :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Time! Everyone is different.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ugh, I think it's time for a tummy tuck for me. I doubt theres hope. I have tried everything.
  • MKNolaMKNola member
    You are only 4 weeks postpartum. Give it time. Things will look better by 3 months! I just had my third baby and I was able to get back to a flat tummy after each of my first two.

Once you have clearance from your doctor to exercise, I would look into Pilates. Strengthening your entire core and not just your abdominal muscles will help a lot!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Pilates is a great core-strengthing workout.....Just check with your dr first
    m/c #1 6/30/05 m/c #2 9/18/06 m/c #3 9/18/08 BFP 10/21/12....EDD 7/6/13....Praying this is my sticky baby. Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums. Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I second this and also highly recommend yoga. I lost 70 pounds and was a size 2 before getting pregnant and kept it off for two years, and for two years I had a "pooch" (unfair right, especially with no kids?!) but doing a combination of yoga and running helped me get rid of most of it.  

However, no matter how much exercise you do the way you look/weigh is always going to be 80% what you eat. Make sure you're getting at diet full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.  Avoid too much juice, sugars, and processed foods (I have an 80/20 approach to what I eat - 80% healthy, 20% whatever otherwise I'd go insane) because those can deposit in the "pooch zone."

• imagetrudibell:

However, no matter how much exercise you do the way you look/weigh is always going to be 80% what you eat. Make sure you're getting at diet full of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, etc.  Avoid too much juice, sugars, and processed foods (I have an 80/20 approach to what I eat - 80% healthy, 20% whatever otherwise I'd go insane) because those can deposit in the "pooch zone."

This!  It's all about diet! 

• Take what I say with a grain of salt as I have not had a baby yet, but the best exercises that have worked for me are planks, Pilates and interval running.

Diet is the biggest part though!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a personal trainer and would suggest

Drinking water only. And half of your body weight of water in ounces as a minimum.

No processed foods

Working large muscle groupslegs, back, butt and chest

Cardio where you are working in a moderate zonenot just casual walking

Of course with exercise, you should gradually ease into it but continue to challenge yourself. Try not to get into too comfortable of a routine...always change it up with your cardio and lifting routine

Reduce stresses in your life

And I like a previous post about the 80/20 rule. I cheat too but I am 80 eating a healthy lifestyle and I enjoy my cheat times and never feel guilty.

Good luck with your goal and don't give up!! Go for it and get the results you strive for!

• Thanks everyone! I realize that some of it is loose skin, and that it will take time , but I appreciate all the suggestions.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • I would take a look if there are some "baby and me" fitness classes in your area.  I have done several  - outdoors with the stroller, indoor aerobics, pilates, and yoga.  If you find a good baby and me fitness class, they tend to target the areas that moms want to work on.  They are also a great way to start getting back into your exercise routine and to get out and meet some other moms.

You could also get some work out DVDs that target the core. Just make sure you do some cardio too.  It will get better, but keep in mind that you might always have a little extra belly flab post-baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • I wish I knew!
    m/c 2013
  • Shameless plug here just because Im a certified group fitness instructor and also used to teach this formathad to stop bc im pregnant with twins but have you ever tried or heard of Les Mills CXWORX? Its a 30 min core workout that really focuses on your midsection and the muscles that support your core/midsection. Thats not to say it doesnt work out other muscles as well my arse is on fire most times too, haha but it really helps. To become an instructor, I know you have to be at least 6 months post partum but to participate, you need the okay from your dr/ob. It is really tough so please dont be discouraged in the beginning. Just stick with whatever you do. As for CXWORX, I was less than a yr postpartum when I started and I could tell a difference within a week. Im giving all of the credit to Les Mills for giving me a stronger core and making it easier to carry these twins my 3rd pregnancy. Stick with whatever you decide. Good luck!
  • At 4 weeks a LOT of it is still uterus and your organs being all shifted around. I noticed a huge difference in appearance between 4-8 weeks as everything continued to shrink up. Give it time and eat healthy and reevaluate in a month of two to see what still needs to be accomplished.
  • Don't worry yet.  I know it's a little disheartening.  Give it 6 more weeks and you will most likely see a huge difference.  I lost most of prego weight pretty quickly but was also disappointed that my flat taught belly was MIA.  

At 6 weeks I started my core routine, planks, very controlled crunches, pelvic tilts.. Slow and controlled with lots of pelvic floor work.  It is really helping, mixed of course with just giving it time for swelling to go down too.   I also started incorporating interval training back into my run and bike workouts and have been lifting weights at the gym about 2x's a week.

I am now 11 weeks PP and am starting to see some good definition. If you eat right and exercise consistently you will get back to where you were.  My hubby keeps reminding me to be patient.  We are all our own worse critics right? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Don't fret! You are only 4 weeks. Just be prepared to look different for a few months! 

I have been working out since 6 weeks post partum  after my c section. DD is 16 weeks and just this week I've noticed a lot of progress on the momma chub lol. I run 5 miles 3 x a week, then lift weights. 2-3 days a week. I've been doing the p90x abs video to supplement. 

With my first it took 9 months for things to look pretty close to normal. 9 months to fix the 9 months that wrecked it! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I used these skinny wraps from my friend and they made the biggest difference in that mommy tummy.  I've had 3 kids and have flat abs again without the hanging skin when you bend over.  They are awesome.  Here's her website.  https://bonniewraps.myitworks.com/home
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"