January 2013 Moms

Totally speechless...

So i like to think i am a seriously un-judgmental person, when it comes to child rearing i am of the mind that what works for some families won't work for all, and as long as you love your kids, and aren't abusing them then it is none of my business how you raise them. But i totally just hit my "Are you F*CKING INSANE?!!" threshold. My son has been teething, and going through the 4 month grumps lately, and i'll admit to some facebook whining about it. Let's face it, my whole life is my son, yeah, he is gonna take up a lot of what i talk about online. So i get this e-mail from a FB acquaintance, suggesting that i take my FOUR MONTH OLD to a chiropractor to get him adjusted. She just had this done for her, get this, THREE MONTH OLD, and now she doesn't fuss as much.. A 3 month old child, and she had her adjusted.. First of all how is that even legal for chiropractors to work on people that young? I'm sorry, if this offends anyone, but seriously, i consider this child abuse. Lord knows what damage this is going to cause to that poor little girls limbs and joints.. SMH..  

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

Re: Totally speechless...

• It can be really good for babies. It can help with colic, that I know. There are doctor's trained to work with infants. I find it odd her suggestion made you so angry. If it's not for you, it's not for you, but it's legit and works for a lot of people.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageAshleyDehaven:
    So i like to think i am a seriously un-judgmental person, when it comes to child rearing i am of the mind that what works for some families won't work for all, and as long as you love your kids, and aren't abusing them then it is none of my business how you raise them. But i totally just hit my "Are you F*CKING INSANE?!!" threshold. My son has been teething, and going through the 4 month grumps lately, and i'll admit to some facebook whining about it. Let's face it, my whole life is my son, yeah, he is gonna take up a lot of what i talk about online. So i get this e-mail from a FB acquaintance, suggesting that i take my FOUR MONTH OLD to a chiropractor to get him adjusted. She just had this done for her, get this, THREE MONTH OLD, and now she doesn't fuss as much.. A 3 month old child, and she had her adjusted.. First of all how is that even legal for chiropractors to work on people that young? I'm sorry, if this offends anyone, but seriously, i consider this child abuse. Lord knows what damage this is going to cause to that poor little girls limbs and joints.. SMH..  

I'm with you on this one. Have you seen the show Penn & Teller's BS? They did an episode about chiropractors and the conclusion of the show was that there's good medical chiropractors and there's hacks looking for money. They showed a chiropractor that worked on an ENTIRE family... grandmother, mother, 5 year old,  and an infant! To me that's a hack... and watching the 5 year old get her neck adjusted really bothered me.

It has its place in medicine but IMO it is dangerous for young children whose bones aren't even done growing yet.

<Edited for word choice. Baby's bones are formed.. but not done growing.>

• Loading the player...
  • I get adjusted. I definitely would not be okay with my Chiro doing adjustments like that on my baby. I can only assume its more gentle and probably more stretching and pressure since their joints and bones are so incredibly fragile at this age. Having their neck and back cracked would be stupid.
    I remember my Chiro saying he can't adjust until toddlerhood so maybe she's using the word wrong? Not everything my Chiro does is bone and joint adjustments. He uses a machine sometimes and stretching and heat. Lots of things all lumped into "adjustment". I have no clue why my iPhone is capitalizing Chiro but I'm not gonna fix it.
    I remember penn and teller doing something on he fake chiros and that's scary shiiit! I like mine. He's an MD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagetrombgirl:

imageAshleyDehaven:

I'm with you on this one. Have you seen the show Penn & Teller's BS? They did an episode about chiropractors and the conclusion of the show was that there's good medical chiropractors and there's hacks looking for money. They showed a chiropractor that worked on an ENTIRE family... grandmother, mother, 5 year old,  and an infant! To me that's a hack... and watching the 5 year old get her neck adjusted really bothered me.

It has its place in medicine but IMO it is dangerous for young children whose bones aren't even formed yet.

Exactly this. 

7/5/11 MC at 8 weeks. 5/17/12 BFP, twins EDD 1/20/13! 6/20/12 Baby B's heart has stopped beating. 8/31/12 Baby A is a boy! And is perfectly healthy and thriving. 1/19/2013 emergency c-section, Thoren is perfect. 3/1/2013 told i will never be able to conceive again. 12/16/13 told they were wrong! 

• imagezonagirlie:
    I get adjusted. I definitely would not be okay with my Chiro doing adjustments like that on my baby. I can only assume its more gentle and probably more stretching and pressure since their joints and bones are so incredibly fragile at this age. Having their neck and back cracked would be stupid. I remember my Chiro saying he can't adjust until toddlerhood so may e she's using the word wrong? Not everything my Chiro does is bone ans joint adjustments. He uses a machine sometimes and stretching and heat. Lots of things all lumped into "adjustment". I have no clue why my iPhone is capitalizing Chiro but I'm not gonna fix it.

This i can totally get behind. It's the joint cracking and stuff that just makes me shudder to think about. Heat and stretching? Sure, as long as it is done by a professional that seems harmless enough. But what i meant was the cracking.. I hope you are right and that is what she meant. 

• Ash. I hope so. Anyone taking their baby to have their back cracked should be beaten. Trying to think positively!
  • It's like a massage guys. Very gentle. They're not cracking bones.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I work with a chiropractor, and they shouldn't be doing any "cracking" of the bones on such young people. They use a small adjuster that they put over there thumbs until they're older to have the pressure from the device. But it basically just slightly adjusts the spine, by thumping the muscles a little to help relax the muscle, kinda like a massage that PP was talking about. If for whatever reason they're adjusting with methods that are more forceful, I would take actions against them, because it's way too much for a little person to be able to handle. But it's really good for helping their bodies just like adults!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Uh... DD was adjusted at ~10wks.  It's a very gentle adjustment (nothing more aggressive than when your pedi checks their hips).  Chiropractic adjustment is great for growing bodies.  I think it was a well meaning suggestion, but certainly one you're free to ignore.

Honestly, what you're saying isn't offensive at all.  I think you're just uneducated on the topic.  That's fine, but I think you should probably step away from your jump to conclusions mat.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:

Uh... DD was adjusted at ~10wks.  It's a very gentle adjustment (nothing more aggressive than when your pedi checks their hips).  Chiropractic adjustment is great for growing bodies.  I think it was a well meaning suggestion, but certainly one you're free to ignore.

Honestly, what you're saying isn't offensive at all.  I think you're just uneducated on the topic.  That's fine, but I think you should probably step away from your jump to conclusions mat.   

You're right, i probably don't know as much about it as i should. That said, if you read my subsequent posts i agreed that the sort of "adjustment" you are talking about sounds perfectly reasonable, and was not what i was worried about. The way the girl made it sound, sounded much more aggressive, but i may have misunderstood her, who knows. 

• I've actually heard really good things about it because they're so jumbled while in the uterus that it can really lead to them being misaligned. I personally wouldn't go to a chiropractor so I also wouldn't take DD but I know a number of people who have and had success with it.
  • imagesbevmc09:
    Uh... DD was adjusted at 10wks. nbsp;It's a very gentle adjustment nothing more aggressive than when your pedi checks their hips. nbsp;Chiropractic adjustment is great for growing bodies. nbsp;I think it was a well meaning suggestion, but certainly one you're free to ignore.Honestly, what you're saying isn't offensive at all. nbsp;I think you're just uneducated on the topic. nbsp;That's fine, but I think you should probably step away from your jump to conclusions mat. nbsp;nbsp;

I think it's a valid concern where Ash is coming from just because there are doctors and there are hacks as pp put it. I personally see an md Chiro because of specifically seeing the episode of BS where hey showed fake chiros working on babies and hurting the kids.
    Your like to hope people wouldn't just hand their baby to a quack to mess with their neck but it happens far too often and kids are seriously damaged. The girl she's talking about isn't super smart so I think Ash assumed the girl was at a quack not a doc. Just a hunch.
    Happy thoughts girlies!
  • When I first heard about chiropractic adjustments for babies I was a bit flabbergasted as well, but I had it explained to me. First, there is no back cracking and neck snapping with babies. A chiropractic adjustment for a baby is just a massage. Secondly, that massage has been proven to relieve colicky symptoms, increase sleep time, affect nursing positively, and help with a number of other issues. I would consider it if I were you. 
    Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imagesbevmc09:

I think you should probably step away from your jump to conclusions mat.   

HAHA!!! Oh God that made me laugh hard.  

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yeah infant adjustments are much milder. I think you jumped the gun on this one. Maybe instead of assuming this woman is a child abuser you could've asked some questions?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageBrendamndz:
    imageChocodoxies:
    imagesbevmc09:

I think you should probably step away from your jump to conclusions mat.   

HAHA!!! Oh God that made me laugh hard.  

Can't lie, that made me LOL as well and I totally flashed to that part of the movie where he unveils it and thinks it's the greatest invention ever.

Love that movie!! 

• imagehansonam446:
    Yeah infant adjustments are much milder. I think you jumped the gun on this one. Maybe instead of assuming this woman is a child abuser you could've asked some questions?

This.
    I bring both of my children to a chiro DS1 started at 5 mths and DS2 at 4 weeks I can assure you, I would not allow a "hack"to touch my children. The benefits have been tremendous. My 4 year old has had no more than minor sniffles in over a year and even those only last a couple days.
  • imagehansonam446:
    Yeah infant adjustments are much milder. I think you jumped the gun on this one. Maybe instead of assuming this woman is a child abuser you could've asked some questions?

Yeah really. Chill, OP. My cousin's baby had severe GERD and a chiropractor helped her baby so much. I wouldn't judge anyone for trying to help their LO if there was some sort of issue.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Adjusting a baby is not like adjusting an adult. It is very minor pressure applied very carefully. I have not had my kids adjusted but my chiropractor has done wonders for me and I probably would consider having them adjusted if I really felt a need. I think you have a misunderstanding of what this looks like when performed on an adult.

Also, I don't know of any research that says that chiro adjustment causes damage to adults so I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

• My DD was adjusted just hours after birth. She had gotten squished coming out. It is standard practice where I birthed my daughter. It was a tiny massage :)
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• jobiannjobiann member
    Like PP's have said you should do your research. DS has gone every week for three weeks and then once a month. no cracking bones, just some thumping and massage...DS had issues turning his neck to his left... after a few treatments he could turn normal. I assure you... I'm not a child abuser.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Poor Ash. She wasn't trying to be rude. She was talking about taking your baby to an nonmd person to crack the baby's neck and back. Read the whole thread. I know she was jumpy but let's be nice. It's good to learn!
  • jobiannjobiann member
    imagezonagirlie:
    Poor Ash. She wasn't trying to be rude. She was talking about taking your baby to an nonmd person to crack the baby's neck and back. Read the whole thread. I know she was jumpy but let's be nice. It's good to learn!

I didn't mean to come off rude...I've had sleep in 2 hour increments all weekend...I should have put a smiley after my last statement.... but honestly it's the internet... things are going to sound meaner then they are... but I also thought her initial post was a little judgemental too. especially as I'm reading it at 3am.

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• imagezonagirlie:
    Poor Ash. She wasn't trying to be rude. She was talking about taking your baby to an nonmd person to crack the baby's neck and back. Read the whole thread. I know she was jumpy but let's be nice. It's good to learn!

I think when you reference a pretty common practice and say you consider it "child abuse", you are being pretty rude.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Okay, i am truly sorry i offended so many people. I obviously didn't understand what i was talking about. For the record, i in no way meant the gentle practices you are all talking about. I get how judgmental i came off, because yeah, the image of a little baby getting her neck cracked kinda sent me over the edge. But you're all right, i should have asked questions instead. Again, i'm sorry so many people were offended by this. I had no idea how common infant chiropractics were, it's still not for me, but it sounds like a good option for many and i am glad that there are gentle ways to help little ones with issues like colic and reflux. 

• imageAshleyDehaven:
    Okay, i am truly sorry i offended so many people. I obviously didn't understand what i was talking about. For the record, i in no way meant the gentle practices you are all talking about. I get how judgmental i came off, because yeah, the image of a little baby getting her neck cracked kinda sent me over the edge. But you're all right, i should have asked questions instead. Again, i'm sorry so many people were offended by this. I had no idea how common infant chiropractics were, it's still not for me, but it sounds like a good option for many and i am glad that there are gentle ways to help little ones with issues like colic and reflux. 

I really appreciate when people admit when they were mistaken about something.  I think we're all quick to shoot down things we aren't familiar with at times.  I know plenty of things I do now as a parent I probably would have at the very least side-eyed before babies.  I'm constantly learning and knowledge changes your opinion about things and that's okay.  I think we can all benefit from an example of reasons to remain open about new things or someone else's perspective or suggestions.  I mean, even if chiro care isn't for you or your LO at least you learned something new about a topic.  

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I've had this suggested to me multiple times. And as a firm believer of chiropractic treatment, I've actually looked into it for our son. There's specific pediatric chiropractors that only treat babies and young kids. I asked my chiro about it last week at an appointment and she explained and even demonstrated to me what a typical "adjustment" would be for a baby. It was barely anything. Not even remotely close to 1% of what an adjustment is for an adult.
    :::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"