Adoption

dogs and homestudy

So, we are still early in the process meeting with agencies, but DH and I have been working on getting the house together for the someday homestudy.
We have 2 dogs, Waylon the most relaxed, easy going lab around and Sandy lab mix that joined our family after my stepfather passed away and my mom couldn't take care of her. She is the sweetest girl, very loving. She was abused before my parents got her...the shelter said she was pregnant and abused. This causes her to have stranger anxiety, just when visitors come she barks and barks. No biting, she has never bit anyone. Is a barking dog going to be a problem? She eventually calms down, especially once everyone sits down. Then she will sniff and settle! We were thinking of trying as thundershirt also? If she would be a problem, I know she could live with my inlaws.. I love her so much, she has been in our family for 7 years. Sorry for the rambling, just getting worried early on. Thanks for your opinions/info!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: dogs and homestudy

• I honestly don't think it will be a problem. We have a giant schnauzer who jumps and barks when strangers enter the house or leave the house. It wasn't an issue at all.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • Niki64Niki64 member
    imagejalara48:
    Sorry, I'm not sure what the question is. Are you asking if a barking dog will cause you to fail a home study? I'm not being snarky, I'm not sure I get what you want to know.Also what is a thundershirt?

I was just wondering if anyone had an anxiety dog that caused problems with their homestudy. A thundershirt is basically a tight fitting garment that you put on the dog that is supposed to help with thunderstorm anxiety or other anxiety situations.

Just something that has worried us. Thanks for the other responses!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our dog has serious stranger anxiety. We can't take him for walks, he has to be supervised outside, he can't sit on his perch in the front window without howling constantly if even a leaf blows by.

We had to get an in-home trainer prior to our home study starting because I was so freaked out that he was going to cause serious problems and I knew we couldn't just lock him away in a room while our SW was here. 

So we put him through training and he ended up doing SO well when our SW was here. And by "well" I mean he barked when she got here, jumped up a bit on her, and then promptly settled down once we all sat on the couch and started talking. He sat in my husband's lap and just stared at her. He wasn't silent by any means when she first got here and we'd prepped her for this dog that was just gonna bark and growl at her non-stop. 

All that to say, it sounds like my dog was way worse than your's initially and wouldn't calm down for anyone or anything. And then acted like your's does now in the meeting and it wasn't an issue at all. 

:) I think as long as they're not viciously going after anyone present or acting like they're on the verge of attacking, most SWs understand that a dog will be a dog. 

:::FOLLOW MY HALF MARATHON TRAINING:::

:::Our Adoption Journey:::

Evan James was born 1/24/13 and matched with us 2/20/13. The LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!
  • A nervous dog shouldn't be a problem. An aggressive dog probably will.

Best bet is to explain the situation up front and ask if it will be an issue.

• We have 2 80 pound dogs, a lab mix and a pit bull mix. Both are energetic dogs and bark and get excited for the first minute when people are here but settle down after that. We found that the best thing to do was to take them for a long walk before our SW came and feed them in the first few minutes she was there so that they were distracted and tired. Our SW was not a dog person, but had no problem with our dogs. I'm sure yours will do fine!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    After 2 years of IF workups/treatments and 2 IUIs, we have closed the door on fertility treatments.
    We are very excited to be pursuing international adoption from China!
    6000 miles and a day
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't think it will be a problem. I was really worried about my two dogs too but they really will work with you to find a solution if there is a problem.
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • We were *just* approved and have seven rescue dogs.  They are small, but some are "special needs" and one is reactive (acts aggressive out of fear).  We sent him off with his dogsitter for the few hours the social worker was here for her first visit, then crated him across the house for the next visit.  Everything was fine.  

There's a book that may help, if you're interested...  https://www.amazon.com/Scaredy-Understanding-Rehabilitating-Reactive-ebook/dp/B004HYHE54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369751119&sr=8-1&keywords=reactive+dogs 

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• I think that as long as you are up front and honest about your pet situation and how you plan to respond to any potential issues with pets and your child, the CW's are usually fine.  They just like to know you have a plan in place.
    I'm a dance studio owner, writer, cat mommy, and adventuress who is married to the man of her dreams. My husband and I have had a long-time dream to adopt and it's happening in a way that we didn't quite anticipate. But, like any move of God, it's turning out way better than we expected. We'd love for you to follow our story at www.kirstenkline.com!
  • imageKirstybaby:
    I think that as long as you are up front and honest about your pet situation and how you plan to respond to any potential issues with pets and your child, the CW's are usually fine.  They just like to know you have a plan in place.

True in our case, too.  We were upfront about our plan, including help from our regular trainer in case we have trouble.

My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• I also have a rescue lab mix who was abused before I got him from the shelter.  he is the greatest dog, but doesn't care for strangers.  He has never bitten anyone, but he barks and barks at them.  We were approved without any issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"