February 2013 Moms

cloth diaperers-I have some questions for you-please help!

I am thinking about switching from disposable to cloth

what brand do you use?

do you like it?

do they have disposable inserts?

how many diapers and inserts do you go through a day?

anything else you can tell me?

I did see G diapers have a disposable insert and does Bum Genius use flip inserts? and do these inserts work well, do they keep the diaper part dry as in can you reuse the diaper part and stick another insert if baby only peed? 

TIA and let em know any other info if you think it might be useful! thanks!

Re: cloth diaperers-I have some questions for you-please help!

• I have a variety of types and brands...  We use a lot of prefolds with various covers (bummis, thirsties, flip, etc).  I also have some pockets (BG, swaddlebees, kawaii pure and natural and a few different alvas).  I personally LOVE fitteds and have also fallen for flats (super trim!)  We still go through a fair # of diapers per day (probably 10-12) because DD does NOT like a wet bottom.  She's currently eating four 6oz bottles and just after eating she'll pee like crazy.   So far I've been happy with pretty much everything I've tried on DD except BG 4.0s.  Her legs are too skinny for them. :)  

I haven't tried the disposable inserts for flips.  I might for camping this summer, we'll see. :)  I would check out the CD board, there are regularly posts very similar to yours and you might find them + the FAQ page helpful. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First off go to YouTube and watch cloth diapering 101 it is very informative and will give you a better idea of the types of diapers/systems out there.
    My stash is made up of several brands but mostly pockets and pre folds with covers. I prefer my BG 4.0 pockets best. I also really like my Kawaii PN2s.

ETA: Cloth Diapering 101 is a 7 part series sorry I can't make it clicky!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVo6SMebcX8
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm so massively addicted to Applecheeks diapers. Its bad. I'm buying all of their discontinued colours lol. 

So its obvious I use Applecheeks and love them.

They have disposable liners that I LOVE because I can just remove poop and throw it in the trash or the flush. The bamboo inserts are by far the best. I use the 2 ply for day and 3 ply for night. They have boosters and stay dry things that can help with heavy wetters.

I always use my liners on the OUTSIDE of the fleece ( you can only do this if its a natural fiber, like hemp, cotton, or bamboo). This means that If I change her diaper and there is only pee, I can just change the insert and not the diaper itself. Saves on laundry! You can stuff them if you want to (they're pocket diapers) and most people find that the inserts will remove themselves in the washer (but only if you have an agitator in your washer, mine is a front loader and it only comes out part of the time, which is NBD because I never stuff them anyways). 

Applecheeks is a 2 size system that is based in Canada but you CAN get them in the US. New and used. liltulips.com sells them and will ship free over 45$ to the US. I'm in Canada but I've bought from them 3 times so far and they've got excellent service. They even send you a little treat every time you order. I got a natural lip gloss the first time, and a reusable baggie for food the second (haven't received my third order yet). 

One of the absolute best things about this brand is there extremely high resale value. If you keep up with the current "limited editions" then in a few years, they're going to be called "hard to finds" and will sell for $$-$$$! As long as you keep the outer shell in good condition, there are people who can replace everything else, including the inner PUL. There are 3 main diapers that currently sell for 3 digits, and the pink one, samoa, will sell for $250+ I kid you not!!! Pretty stinking great when you bought the thing for 20$. A friend of mine is about to auction off a Plum coloured one and I'm guessing she'll get 150$ for it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I use cottonbabies unbleached indian cotton prefolds, osocozy unbleached prefolds, these bamboo flats, thirsties duo wrap and wrap snap covers and assunta o/s snap covers. I just ordered two disana organic wool covers, I haven't received them yet. I use Nellie's washing powder.

I think the osocozy perfolds are okay. I haven't tried the disana wool yet. I love everything else!

No disposable parts to my stash!

I use ~10 diapers a day and 3 or 4 covers. If some poop got on the cover I rinse it toss it in the laundry. I rinse, hang-dry and reuse "clean" covers.

I use coconut oil or bum bum balm after every change b/c even with cloth diapers and water-only cloth wipes my girl is still rash prone (she was rashy with 7th generation sposies and wipes too). 

I chose prefolds for the cost. I have 104 diapers, different sizes, 16 covers in different sizes, a large wetbag, a small wet/dry bag, 10 pins, two snappis, 140 homemade cloth wipes and a diaper bag all for ~$435. I can only do laundry every 3-4 days b/c I have to go to a laundromat so it was important for me to get the most bang for my buck. pockets and AIOs are more expensive. Even if I just bought the covers for pockets and disposable inserts (which I didn't want to do b/c part of the reason I do cloth is to avoid garbage), the whole stash would have cost me much more and with pockets you go through more covers in a day than with prefolds and flats. Prefolds are not hard and after a few weeks I've gotten used to flats too.

I've heard that with every pocket diaper change you need a new diaper not just a new insert. But if you want to you can hand rinse out the just pee ones and hang-dry them and reuse them later that day. At the end of the day you would want to toss everything in the wash. I've never used pockets but that is what most people had told me before I decided what to buy.

So far I'm really happy with Nellie's laundry powder. Recommend.

Maybe try a diaper service or trial. I used a diaper service while I was building my stash and it made me more comfortable with CD. The service I used was osocozy prefolds and wipes with thirsties covers. They delivered to my home once a week, taking away my dirties and leaving a bag of cleans. They provided a hamper and an in-home tutorial.

Cloth seems like a lot of info to remember but once you get your feet wet, it just starts to come together. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ebee27Ebee27 member
    Check out Grovias! Sweetbottom is having a pretty incredible sale on packages right now, too: https://www.sweetbottomsbaby.com/grovia_diaper_system.html we started with prefolds and thirsties covers up until now, and now that he's outgrown the first sizing, we're upgrading to the hybrid system. They have two kinds of washable soakers and a biodegradable disposable option as well. Everyone I talk to looooooves them, so I'm excited to give them a try! Hopefully my order arrives soon :D

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • Ebee27Ebee27 member

Also, I spent around 100 bucks to diaper my son for the first 4 months of life. I have 6 thirsties covers (2 last me a day usually since he poops like, once a week), and 36 prefolds which have ended up being more than enough and I do diaper laundry every other day. I store all diapers in a dry covered pail (bambino mio pail) and just dump it in the washer without touching anything. I use cloth wipes (really just baby washcloths, and in a peri bottle I squirt each wipe as I go with my own solution: dr. bronner's soap, a bit of orange and tea tree oil EO and water). My wash routine is a cold rinse, a warm wash with a bit of All Free & Clear Military detergent, and a cold wash. I throw my Bamboobies breast pads in after the first rinse, too, so it's pretty convenient :) Usually takes 2 rounds in the dryer on low heat, or I do one round and sun the rest of the moisture out. I use a planetwise wet bag in y diaper bag, but it's falling apart. Ugh!

I want to add I have 2 bumgenius elementals all-in-ones and don't care for them too much so far. Maybe I'm just used to prefolds, and I have no idea how they handle poop  because my son hasn't happened to poop in one yet. He's almost 4 months and still using the smallest settings on it and it's just too bulky. I also had zero interest in pockets from the start - stuffing and unstuffing diapers seemed like a hassle and I like how little room each diaper takes up in my diapers bag. 

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • I use gDiapers on my son and I LOVE Them! I have the gcloth and the gdisposable liners, but Joey Bunz Hemp inserts and the Little Weeds Hemp both fit into the m/l/xl liners & covers.  The BG newborn inserts are a little smaller than the m/l/xl gcloth, and the BG larger inserts are bigger.  I like the gcloth inserts better because they are fleece/hemp whereas the BG inserts are just microfiber. 

I currently have 9 gcovers, 16 liners (because I got a bunch off Craigslist), 17 gcloth inserts; I have 6 BG4.0s, 10 BG newborn inserts (again, Craigslist), 6 BG large inserts that come with the 4.0s; 1 BG Element AIO... and I personally do not like it, I got it by accident; then I have 5 generic pocket covers, and 1 flips cover, with about 20 more assorted inserts from who knows where (Craigslist).  I have 2 Little Weeds hemp inserts because I was having leaking problems with my small gDiapers... and I had forgotten he would outgrow them... and I also have 5 Joe Bunz hemp liners.  Needless to say, I have more than plenty for my one son, lol!

I wash every other day, but that is because my bathroom is too small to wash less.  My laundry bag is full after two days and I don't have any more room for more.  But I have enough diapers to go at least 4 days without washing.

Okay, onto your cover/liner question.  I only have BG 4.0s and they're a pocket, so I can't recycle my BGs at all.  I do recycle the g covers & liners if they are only wet and not gross.

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• We made the switch to GroVia and absolutely love them!  We have 12 shells and 24 inserts and I tend to do a load of diapers in the wash every 2nd day or more (depending on how messy he pooped!)  They do have a disposable insert as well which we are looking at for when we go camping.  Also he hasn't has diaper rash since we made the switch.

We picked GroVia because we like the idea of popping out the insert and reusing the shell versus all-in-ones or pocket diapers. With pockets or all-in-ones you basically have to wash the entire diaper after peeing or anything which meant for us having more diapers on hand to use and to wash.

• I use a mix of prefolds with Thirsties covers and KerrBear (I think these are Alvas with a different name) pockets.  I LOVE the KerrBears (though to be honest, I don't have anything to compare them to).  They fit my son's skinny legs and hold in his massive amounts of pee.  I'm still adjusting to the prefolds - I still manage to have poop leaks - but I think it's user error (with the user being partially inept).  I did just order Sunbaby diapers and am waiting for them to arrive.  Both Sunbaby and KerrBear diapers are very well priced.  The KerrBear are more expensive and are still only about $8/diaper.

I haven't used disposable inserts yet, but I ordered some and they should be in this week.

I believe we go through about a dozen diapers a day, sometimes a few less.

I'm still VERY new to cloth diapering, so it's still a work in progress for me.  I don't even have a wet bag or diaper pail yet (I only have 12 diapers that I ordered to try it out, so they get washed the day we use them). 

I have not tried G diapers, but have heard that they can be a hassle and people tend to move to on to pockets or AIOs, but that's quoting someone else... I never really looked into them.

Overall, I'm really glad that we've made the switch (or started to).  Even though we were using Target diapers, which are well priced and work really well, it's good to know that we're saving money... especially going in to summer when I won't be working and my husband (a teacher) will only work in July.  I also like that it's a more enviromentally friendly choice. 

• Thanks everyone for all the information! appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"