January 2013 Moms

Belly Sleeping

So LO has been sleeping on his side the last couple weeks, by his own doing. Tonight he went full on belly. I've unswaddled his one arm and I've been checking on him constantly but I'm not sure what else to do. He fusses on his back. Am I being uber paranoid?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Belly Sleeping

• Once they can roll themselves over you don't need to worry.  I don't know that I would keep swaddling at that point, but honestly I don't have experience with it. 
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagesbevmc09:
    Once they can roll themselves over you don't need to worry. nbsp;I don't know that I would keep swaddling at that point, but honestly I don't have experience with it.nbsp;

I've been trying to wean him off by letting him sleep with one arm out so I'm working toward no swaddle but he literally just rolled on his belly tonight.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I would completely stop swaddling but once they can roll it's usually considered pretty okay if they put themselves on their belly. I'd still put him in on his back and let him move around. DD rolled onto her belly one night and woke up screaming! If he doesn't want to be there, he'll let you know!
  • DD was doing the same thing so I asked her pedi at our last visit. DD naps on her side/belly but that didn't worry me since I was awake and alert and watching her, but the nighttime did. She's been sleeping on her side for weeks, and then discovered she could roll all the way over to her belly to sleep. Her pedi said it was fine. She said to continue to put her down to sleep on her back, but if she rolls from there, leave her be and don't try to keep repositioning her.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've let Lily sleep on her tummy since she was 3 months. She HATES sleeping on her back, but as soon as I tried her tummy she sttn. She slept in het swing up until then. I worried about her for the first week but she was fine. I keep everything but 1 blanket out of the crib as well. Once LO is rolling, they're going to move around and get comfy whether you like it or not.
  • My DD has been STTN on her belly in her crib since she was 6wks old. It's the only way she'll sleep longer then 30min. I was a worry wart at first but she knows how to roll if needed
  • DD naps on her belly and right now still sleeps in her RnP but we are transitioning to the crib soon and I figure she will sleep on her belly then too.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Let the baby sleep how the baby wants. C has been rolling since six weeks. If you keep rolling them back you'll wear yourself out and piss them off. Go to bed.
  • DD sleeps on her stomach now that she can roll. As soon as we put her down she immediately rolls. I would unswaddle both arms for more support. We only swaddle DD's legs right now. 
  • We were having such sleep issues a few weeks ago and my DH experimented with putting DD on her belly. Well, she slept a whole lot better so she's been on her belly ever since. She can roll over and hold her head up really well. I still am a little nervous but its been fine.
  • I've been dying to ask how many people do belly sleeping.  DD naps on her tummy like OP said, cause i'm awake and alert.  But at night we still swaddle and put her propped on her side.  She eventually ends up flat on her back and STTN this way but its getting warmer and I get so worried about OVER dressing her for bed that it could be a SIDS issue.  She wont sleep without the swaddle though, but i'm wondering if I put her on her tummy if she would.  I know she can roll from tummy to back but i dont know about back to tummy.  Would this still be OK to try?  I'm paranoid too.  This is my 2nd and I still worry even though DD1 slept on her stomach for months.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"