Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Solids feeding schedule

My LO is now 6 months. I'm not sure what to do with her feeding schedule. She usually eats every 3hrs and sleeps good at night.
I started baby oatmeal a few weeks ago but now I have the green light to try it all.
What do you feed your LO?
When do you feed them?
AND how much formula do they eat??

Re: Solids feeding schedule

• We just had the 6 month check up on Friday and Dr said 3 "meals" of solids and 24 oz of milk.
  • We do Baby Led Weaning so he eats what we eat most all the time. Veggies, fruits, meat, bread.

We offer solids twice a day. Breakfast with me and dinner with me and DH. He is napping while I eat lunch.

He still has an average of 32 oz in 24 hours.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • At 6 months the percentages of milk and solids should look this way: 90% milk and 10% solids -> with a caloric intake of 590 kcal. My baby has 2 meals (beside milk) and it's more like a playing with food. We started at 6 months and we've first introduced banana but LO also loves avocado. I first find it hard to tell which solids were recommended for her and which to avoid, but I found this website https://goodmomming.com/ and it kind of solved my problem. You could use it when your baby is ready. 

• imageAkokogriff25:
    We just had the 6 month check up on Friday and Dr said 3 "meals" of solids and 24 oz of milk.

This but DS has had solids since 4 months per pedi's instructions.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • When we first started (DS was 4m1w), we did just one meal a day.  The first few days were just getting him used to swallowing solids.  Then we moved on to 2 meals a day (B, D).

We started with soft fruits and pureed veggies - eg, banana, avocado, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots etc. I make his food.

I EBF, and our nursing schedule has not changed at all.  He still nurses the same number of times before starting him on solids.  I always nurse him first, then offer solids 30-60 minutes afterwards. 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • imagepb_bride:

When we first started (DS was 4m1w), we did just one meal a day.  The first few days were just getting him used to swallowing solids.  Then we moved on to 2 meals a day (B, D).

We started with soft fruits and pureed veggies - eg, banana, avocado, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots etc. I make his food.

I EBF, and our nursing schedule has not changed at all.  He still nurses the same number of times before starting him on solids.  I always nurse him first, then offer solids 30-60 minutes afterwards. 

This 

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • We started DD on solids at around 6m. We did 2x per day (just after morning bf, and just after pm nap). 

At 8m we introduced a 3rd meal between am nap and pm nap.

We do mostly purees of fruits and veggies, but also banana pieces, avocado wedges, melon pieces, steamed carrot spears. We have just introduced some shredded chicken thighs to the mix.  

• i always feed on demand. i make my own baby food. i give her mostly veggies, i try not to give her too much fruit. as for formula, DD eats 6oz in a sitting. if i were to put a "schedule" on it, she tends to be hungry every 2-3 hours. when i feed her solids, i give her 4oz of formula first, then i give her the food. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • g8trkimg8trkim member
    I'm kind of lazy about feeding her solids, but my intention is fruit and/or oatmeal for breakfast (like 9am) and veggie for dinner (like 6pm). She usually has four 6 oz bottles a day. Nothing's on a certain schedule but I would say somewhere around 6am, 11am, 4pm and 8pm. Sometimes she doesn't want as much formula at a time (more like 4 oz) and she will end up having a fifth bottle somewhere in there.

• DD is breastfed and takes about 24 oz. of milk a day (eats four times). She also gets breakfast (cereal and fruit or veggie) and dinner (yogurt with veggie) and sometimes a small lunch (just the veggie).

• kekiskekis member
    DD gets three "meals" each day w/ 4-6 oz. bottles in between (typically before naps/bedtime).  She'll eat anything & everything I give her.  Started off with pureed veggies and fruits and have since moved to large chunks of soft veggies & fruits, soft cheese, yogurt, shredded chicken, beans, etc.  There are some great websites & apps that will give you ideas, tips & recipes.
    Todd & Kristin, 3.10.07

After 5.5 years of loss, heartbreak, and empty arms, our dreams were fulfilled through the beautiful, selfless gift of adoption. We are amazingly blessed!

Blog About Us | Blog About RPL/IF/Adoption

imageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My go to for all my feeding questions: www.wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com

Amazing website! It will answer all your questions!

CafeMom Tickers

imageCafeMom Tickers
  • I was so confused with starting the solids as well. We started our daughter on cereal around 5 months (just a tablespoon once a day for starters). We started her on solids at 6 months. She would nurse around 6:30 am and again around 9:30 am. Then she would eat a fruit or veggie puree with a 5 oz bottle around 1 pm and cereal with another 5 oz bottle around 4:30 pm. Then she would eat a 6 oz bottle or nurse from me at 7:30 pm and go to bed (she loves her sleep!). Once she was used to the foods, we increased gradually to a little bigger servings at each meal. She is now 8--1/2 months and we just added cereal to her 9:30 am "meal." She now nurses around 6:30 am, eats 2 tbsp cereal and a 4 oz bottle at 9:30 am, eats a fruit and a veggie (1-2 tbsp of each) and a 4.5 oz bottle around 1 pm, eats 2 tbsp cereal and a fruit or veggie and a 4 oz bottle around 4:30 pm, and takes a 6 oz bottle before bed at 7:30. I'm being so specific because I was frustrated not finding specifics when I was first figuring out the feeding schedule! I had read to wait 30 minutes between the milk and the food but I just felt like we didn't have time for that and she would be eating all day long! I work part time so she is in day care three days a week and this schedule seems to work for us...each child is different though. I make all of her food except the cereal and I have LOVED using the book, "The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet." It's quick and easy (and I'm not a cook!!) and I just freeze portions in ice cube trays then transfer them to freezer bags and take a portion out the night before I need it. Best of luck! Just remember to follow your child's cues. They tell you more than you first realize. :)
  • To jencb80:

Thank you so much for being detailed! Our DS is 5 mo old and has been eating oatmeal cereal once a day in the afternoon for about 2 weeks now and I wasn't sure how to go about the transition to solids we'll probably start next month. This is really helpful.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"