Trouble TTC
Options

Luteal Phase Defect???

Hi everyone, I am new here but not new to the TTC world, I have been stalking the ttc boards for a long time. Here is a quick intro of myself.... My DH and I have been TTC'ing for almost 2 years. DH has been tested and results were normal. I have had hormone tests, HSG test, ultrasound.... all results were good. Sooo... we were told that we can have children..however 2 years later and we are still no preggo. UGH I know!

~My doctor has mentioned me to start taking Clomid, however I am not one who just starts taking prescription drugs due to all the side effects. We decided to start looking into more natural ways to conceive... I came across charting about 6 months ago and thought this is interesting that you can simply take your temps every morning with a BBT thermo and will be able to read your body.... We officially started charting 6 cycles ago, it has been a blessing because through all the testing I have been through my doctor never once mentioned I could potentially have a LPD (luteal phase defect). Well we do my luteal phase ranges 7-10 days each cycle... No wander we are not conceiving, its not enough time for implantation to occur and stick. It is supposed to be a minimum of 12 days.... SIGH!!

Ok so here is what we did..... 

Cycle #1-3 - I started taking Vitex (pill form) and Prenatals

Cycle #4-5 - started taking Vitex Elixer (liquid form), Vitamin B6 (100mg), Prenatals

**I did notice when I started taking the Vitex Elixer liquid form.. my LP went from 7 days to 10 days and I ovulated 3 days earlier.. so that was a good sign! 

~New Plan of action.... Starting this cycle #6 we are changing things up to really get my LP where it needs to be and help maximize our chances to conceive!! Prenatals, Vitamin B6 (100 mg), Vitex Elixer 60 drops (twice daily), Pre-Seed only three days before OV and one day after & last but not least Internal Harmony Progesterone Cream 25mg twice a day from day after OV to day AF is due.

Sorry this is so long... I really wanted to share our journey and our plan of action we are now starting a new cycle and I have a really good feeling about this month and our changes!!

Wish us luck &lots of baby dust!!

**Anyone who has had a LPD I would love to here your story and success!!! 

~Wishing, Hoping & Praying for Baby #1~

Re: Luteal Phase Defect???

• Options
    imageIntuitiveBlue:

Hi, and sorry you have to be here. 

I understand your hesitance to do Clomid because of all the side effects, but seeing a good RE instead of doing a bunch of supplements and "natural" cures may work to get you pregnant faster. No matter how smart you are, there's a reason that we see doctors who are specially trained in infertility. And trust me, I say that as an over-achieving, compulsive-googling genius - you gotta trust your doctor's expertise over your own ability to self-diagnose.

In addition, the Clomid side effects suck, but they're not anything you wouldn't endure to end up pregnant. What's a few hot flashes and headaches and mood swings for a couple of weeks when there's a pregnancy to be gained? 

An RE can also prescribe stronger progesterone if you do in fact have LPD. KatiB is the expert about LPD around here, so hopefully she'll respond with some insight.

Be careful with the B6 - too high of a dose can cause nerve damage. I only take 50 mg. You should talk to your doctor about the right dose for you.

Finally, Clomid can lengthen your luteal phase by causing either multiple ovulation or a "stronger" ovulation. I have a normal 14 day luteal phase on unmedicated cycles, but on Clomid cycles I had an 18 day luteal phase!

Good luck. Obviously you have to pursue the treatment you're comfortable with, but I do encourage you to put your fertility in the hands of an experienced doctor instead of trying to self treat. 

this. I don't have anything add, just wanted to say welcome and good luck.  

**************SIGGY WARNING**************

BLOG

Me 32 :: DH 41

TTC since November, 2011

DH's SA : Excellent

Lap and Hysteroscopy June 2012

DX: PCOS, Stage III Endo, slight Adenomyosis, blocked tube, and probable LPD

Treatments:  6 Months Lupron Depot injections; 1500 mg metformin; 3 cycles of Clomid + TI = BFN

3 endometrial biopsies all were "out of phase" 

September - December, 2013:  Break to lose weight and get healthy

40 lb weight loss but still not ovulating "in phase"  

February - March 2014: bcps + follistim + trigger + TI = BFP

Beta #1 (12dpo): 30; Beta #2 (18dpo): 500; Beta #3 (25dpo): 7,000!!! 

1st u/s 4/16: One beautiful hb at 144 bmp 

2nd u/s 4/29: hb at 166 bmp.  Graduated from RE!!

TEAM PINK! 

Baby girl arrived on Thanksgiving day weighing 7lbs 6oz and measuring 20 inches

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    katib77katib77 member

I don't know that I'm the resident expert, but I've dealt with it long enough that is for sure.  To extend my LP, I was given progesterone supplements (prometrium 200mg oral) to take during 2ww and recently it was upped to also adding endometrium tablets vaginally during 2ww as well.  

As for taking clomid, (Or other FSH type drugs) the point is because not only is your luteal phase short making it hard to implant, it's short due to low progesterone which is a sign of weak ovulation.  Clomid or Femera, or FSH injects like Follistim, Gonal F, or Bravelle help strengthen your ovulation.  

While I have heard of things like beta 6 to extend LP, it doesn't deal with the underlying cause  - that you are likely releasing immature eggs that could not be fertilized in the first place.  And thus those follies don't release enough progesterone for implantation.  

I agree, to see an RE and have proper monitoring of proper meds - be it clomid or not - is the way to go.  

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• Loading the player...
  • Options

First off, welcome and I'm sorry that you find yourself here!

I agree with what the other posters have said about meeting with an RE and seeking advice from a medical doctor. I also just want to add that if you are open to natural/holistic options to improve fertility you may want to look into acupuncture. My OB was actually the one that recommended it to me and I've noticed positive changes in my temp charting. Good luck!

Me: 31, DH: 31, TTC since April 2011. "unexplained" dx
    Initial testing through OB in August 2012, including HSG and SA
    Sept 2012 BFP, m/c at 7weeks.
    Met with RE March 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"