Breastfeeding

Shooting pain in my nipple?

DD is two weeks old, and has been breast feeding like a champ. Her latch appears great, and the two LCs we saw plus her pediatrician agree. However, my left nipple is so sensitive to her. It doesn't really hurt when she's latched and eating, but in between feedings I'm getting this shooting pain starting up high in my breast and coming down to the nipple. Anyone with a similar experience and some advice/ideas?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Shooting pain in my nipple?

• Perhaps a clogged milk duct. I think I had this- I couldn't feel a lump or anything, and I couldn't even find the painful spot by feeling around...it was just a shooting pain occasionally. Eventually, a hot shower cleared it up before I even brought it up to my doc for help
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks! I find I have to take a hot shower right before she eats/I pump or I leak everywhere, but I'll definitely give that a shot for next feeding!
  • Loading the player...
  • It could also be thrush. Mine started with the shooting pain.  Keep an eye out of per symptoms as its a *** to get rid of and crazy painful if left too long.  Good luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Would thrush only present in the one breast?
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    imageMoosemonkey:
    Would thrush only present in the one breast?

It coul. It could also be vasospasms. Does your nipple blanch, turn white or other colors?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • It does turn white sometimes. It was white when I went to put her on this morning, but it pinked back up.
  • imageTJ1979:
    imageMoosemonkey:
    Would thrush only present in the one breast?
    It coul. It could also be vasospasms. Does your nipple blanch, turn white or other colors?

i had vasospasms too and it would feel like shooting pain. And my nip would blanch and turn white and return to normal color after a few mins. It lasted only a few weeks and I'm not sure why it even started in the first place. Doesn't happen too often now. Maybe every once in a while. HTH.  

imageimage

Anniversary

• I experienced the exact same thing, and I started worrying that I had thrush. However, it finally cleared up, and I'm fairly certain it was just a clogged duct. It was very painful when my daughter latched on that side for a few days, but the best way to clear the duct is by letting baby eat.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"