3rd Trimester

Not Braxton Hicks but no baby

I'm asking this just because I'm curious how many other moms have/are experiencing this and for how long. The past three days I have started getting contractions that I would still consider uncomfortable rather than painful, but they don't seem like Braxton Hicks contractions anymore. They will come in waves, with a definitely peak and a decline. Usually at the peak it feels like I am having a menstrual cramp and I will sometimes experience shortness of breath. They do go from my back to my front or vice versa. They still haven't had much of a pattern, though I've had spans where they have occurred several times in one hour. I went to the hospital Sunday for a possible leak in my waters, and they checked my effacement and said I was 70%, which seemed to be improvement from my Friday checkup at the OB/GYN. These contractions don't ease up or go away with movement or water. I'm guessing these are "real" contractions?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Not Braxton Hicks but no baby

• Sounds like it, but you can have "real" contractions for weeks before you go into actual labor, sorry to say.

I had regular, painful contractions for five hours the other night. They never got closer together or more intense. I'm still, unfortunately, very much pregnant.

good luck.

He melts me...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Calvin Francis
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you, same to you! I'm sure you are even more uncomfortable than I am. =[ I didn't realize you could have them that long, that's good to know. The way everyone talks about contractions, it kept sounding like anything that wasn't immediately leading to active labor were Braxton Hicks.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been experiencing this saturday which is when i had painful contractions for six hours that just stopped as fast as they came on. Ive been having them daily forabout  two hours a day at about 15 minutes apart and still no baby.  Our bodies are just getting ready(hopefully soon!)
  • On saturday I dealt with braxton hicks for about 15-20 minutes,but as soon as I changed positions, it got a lot better!
  • I think any contractions that aren't part of labor are called Braxton-Hicks contractions.  They do get much stronger toward the end of pregnancy, but they're still BH.  My OB just calls them all "contractions" without differentiating, as in "Have you been having any contractions?"

I mean, I've been having contractions a ton, and they've effectively dilated me to 3 cm, but that's over several days/weeks, so they're braxton-hicks and not "real."  But they're sure started feeling much more "real" lately than they were at first!  For me they tend to get stronger with movement, but they'll go away after a nap or a good night's sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Im 35 weeks and also experience braxton hicks. It's getting more uncomfortable the further along I am. But I'm sure it's just our bodies getting ready. They feel exactly to menstrual cramping! I had some the other day for 20 mins before I sat down and they went away. But they can feel very strong and so uncomfortable; almost on the verge of mildly painful. I just chalk it up to ANOTHER pregnancy ailment! My doctor says its normal for them to feel stronger, the further along we get. Wishing you all the best!
  • Sounds like my contractions. I was "at least 4cm" and 90% effaced today, and Midwife swept my membranes... And still nada. 
    Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• Yes it seems like your body is just prepping for the real deal.  Mine is doing the same thing.  One day last week, I had horrible menstrual-like cramping all day long.  Nothing was timeable, it was constant.  Come to find out, I was 80% effaced and 1 cm the next day.  OB says that's probably what was happening.  It was indeed pre labor and my body is just getting ready.  She said "at least you know what it feels like now...so if the pains get more intense then you're more than likely entering real labor".  All night last night, I woke up every hour with cramping and thought it was time...but this morning, I'm fine.  No side effects...Hang in there, GOOD LUCK!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had BH since I was 28  wks.At 34 wks they had to stop my contractions they were 4 min apart and very regular.Since they werent changing my cervix they called them BH.At 37.4 wks they became painful and frequent yet i remained 1 cm.Icontinued having them strong and close together for days until they became unbearable.I finally had my lil guy Thursday at 38 wks 4 days.Hang in there!I was in pain for weeks and contracting regularly.there are exceptions to every''rule''.

• Sometimes these non-BH contractions that don't lead to full blown labor can indicate a malposition of the baby, and if baby was ideally situated, labor would be likely to progress. www.spinningbabies.com (especially rebozo sifting or pelvic rocks) is your friend! Has been what was needed for many women to get baby situated better. I'm not talking about breech vs head down...I'm talking about posterior vs anterior, and the ideal position for starting labor and going through the birth canal.
  • Shoot I wish I saw this before I gave birth. The contractions started getting really bad on May 22nd and were five minutes apart so I went in. They had to give me pitocin and 34 hours later she still wasn't coming out because she was stuck in a posterior position. We couldn't get her to turn at that point, but I bet if I had tried some of the stuff at spinningbabies.com, it might have helped. It was bad back labor, I ended up having to do a C-section since she wasnt coming and was starting to become distressed.
    A37licia said:
    Sometimes these non-BH contractions that don't lead to full blown labor can indicate a malposition of the baby, and if baby was ideally situated, labor would be likely to progress. www.spinningbabies.com (especially rebozo sifting or pelvic rocks) is your friend! Has been what was needed for many women to get baby situated better. I'm not talking about breech vs head down...I'm talking about posterior vs anterior, and the ideal position for starting labor and going through the birth canal.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Shoot I wish I saw this before I gave birth. The contractions started getting really bad on May 22nd and were five minutes apart so I went in. They had to give me pitocin and 34 hours later she still wasn't coming out because she was stuck in a posterior position. We couldn't get her to turn at that point, but I bet if I had tried some of the stuff at spinningbabies.com, it might have helped. It was bad back labor, I ended up having to do a C-section since she wasnt coming and was starting to become distressed.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"