Parenting

I feel like it almost happened to us

I always hear people say they'd never leave a child in the car on a hot day.  This could never happen to them, they just don't understand.  I feel like we were almost those parents earlier today :(

I was inside vacuuming and DH was outside with DS.  I saw DH get the riding lawnmower out and sat DS in his lap to give him a ride around the yard.  So I continue my vacuuming, not even paying attention because I knew DH was out front with DS.  About 20mins later I notice DH riding the lawnmower in the backyard and DS is no longer with him.  So I think "Well crap, DH, where is Jackson??"  So I go out front looking for him.  Start to feel panicky as I look out front and around the outside of the house.  All of a sudden I came around the garage and I hear him moaning and crying.  I can't figure out where he is so I really start to panic.  That's when I see him IN THE EFFING CAR.   He was sitting in the driver's seat, crying and sweating, and I flipped out.  I guess he had climbed in the car to play, shut the door, and locked himself in.  I got him out, made sure he was okay, calmed him down and gave him some water, then immediately gave DH an earful.

Like WTH????  If you're going to put him down by himself while you go mow the yard, you might want to let me know so I know it's now my turn to watch him.  I'm so livid right now.  I cannot even bring myself to think about what I would've found if it had taken me longer to get to him.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I feel like it almost happened to us

• Did your h miss the story of the two year old that lost both of her legs and hands to a riding lawnmower a few weeks ago? I can't begin to imagine what was going on in his mind. I don't blame you one bit, but you need to have a serious talk with your h.
  • Oh my!  Wow!  Thank goodness he's okay.  I'd be beyond words mad at my DH if he pulled something like that!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Loading the player...
  • Poor baby. Sad Glad he's ok!

He climbed into the car on his own so it's not like you drove to the store, went shopping and just forgot he was in there. As soon as LO could reach and open the garage door, we locked the door and the cars so things like that can't happen. I am kind of side-eyeing your H though for first putting him on a lawn mower, then leaving him unattended. Soooo much could have happened to him. You got really lucky.

• How scary! Luck was definitely on your side today! So glad he's okay :)
  • imageBlondangel:

Poor baby. Sad Glad he's ok!

He climbed into the car on his own so it's not like you drove to the store, went shopping and just forgot he was in there. As soon as LO could reach and open the garage door, we locked the door and the cars so things like that can't happen. I am kind of side-eyeing your H though for first putting him on a lawn mower, then leaving him unattended. Soooo much could have happened to him. You got really lucky.

I just can't believe he did it.  I mean I'm really speechless still.  What if I didn't notice?  What if I just continued vacuuming the whole upstairs and downstairs, then decided to hop in the shower or something??  It just terrifies me to think about it right now.  Starting today the cars will always be locked.   

• So glad he's ok.  What did your H say when you confronted him?  I personally wouldn't even have a toddler in the yard while a riding lawnmower is being used.  Too many horrific stories of accidentally backing over them or them falling off of mowers when they were riding on the parent's lap or mowers flipping over on them on an incline.  Getting trapped in the hot car is only one of the horrible things that could have happened in this scenario.  
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Anyone not catch onto the fact that this is not the first time the toddler rode the lawn mower?? Like really OP? Your OK with your DH riding a lawn mower with your son in his lap? Your not concerned of him falling off and getting ran over? Like... I get that the car thing is scary, but it's only one of the bad things in this situation.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Did your H just set him down and say "run along now?" Lawn mower to a hot car.  Good gravy.  Glad he's okay.

• imagefredalina:
    Don't be too hard on the OP. She said her DH got the mower out "to give DS a ride around the yard". Some riding mowers have blade controls so they don't have to be on. If the ground is flat and he was careful and the blade was off, not that big a deal. Not something I am personally cool with as i'm a helmet nazi but i have been "schooled" in a prior argument where i felt it was unsafe. Going on to mow when you're supposed to be watching DS is a big deal though.

I still wouldn't do it.  It's still heavy machinery. 

• imagefredalina:
    Don't be too hard on the OP. She said her DH got the mower out "to give DS a ride around the yard". Some riding mowers have blade controls so they don't have to be on. If the ground is flat and he was careful and the blade was off, not that big a deal. Not something I am personally cool with as i'm a helmet nazi but i have been "schooled" in a prior argument where i felt it was unsafe. Going on to mow when you're supposed to be watching DS is a big deal though.

Exactly, thank you.  This is common practice around here.  Everyone has riding mowers since we have very large yards, and everyone lets their kids ride when the blades are off.  One guy even hitches a wagon to the back of his and tows his kids around.  Jump on me all you want, it's not something I'm that concerned over.  I was scared to death over what happened earlier and came here to let others know that communication between spouses plus keeping car doors locked is super important this time of year.  No idea I'd end up having to defend myself.  But continue jumping on me for it if you'd like. 

• imagefredalina:

I know I personally felt the need to point out the dangers of the riding lawnmower because the OP made it seem like a toddler riding around a on a mower was not an issue and didn't clarify if it was just a ride or while mowing.  It's unclear if she does know the hazards of toddlers around lawnmowers and locking the car doors from now on only addresses one of the near misses that happened today.

ETA: OP has since clarified about the blade.  Less of a side-eye but I still want to know what H said. 

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • imagemavs_girl07:

imagefredalina:

Exactly, thank you.  This is common practice around here.  Everyone has riding mowers since we have very large yards, and everyone lets their kids ride when the blades are off.  One guy even hitches a wagon to the back of his and tows his kids around.  Jump on me all you want, it's not something I'm that concerned over.  I was scared to death over what happened earlier and came here to let others know that communication between spouses plus keeping car doors locked is super important this time of year.  No idea I'd end up having to defend myself.  But continue jumping on me for it if you'd like. 

I grew up like that. I used to drive the lawn mower with my cousins in the cart all the time. The only difference was that we were much much older. Like I was a teen and knew the dangers. My cousins were all school aged or older, not toddlers. We wouldn't have been allowed near the mowers as a little kid. Even for a rde in the wagon.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh my goodness, I'm glad he's ok! I'm still trying to wrap my head around what your h was thinking. Do you have a fenced in yard? Does he know what can happen if a mower hits a rock? What does he have to say about it? 
    IMG_8165 lb4lyfe2
    Online Photo Editor

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Ztarrgheighzurr Lylliegh Smith is due in January!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • ppantsppants member
    imagehumptydance:

I'm glad your son is okay.  

While reading this I kept thinking of the keychains that come with the keys for the lawn mowers we sold at the store I worked at. It seems your H needs this attached to his keys.

I think it's weird that the woman is inside with the kids while the man is mowing. Although it *may* be the norm, I'm surprised it isn't more gender neutral.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Poor thing.  I am so glad he is okay.  I do not blame you for being mad at your H.  I would be furious.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageBlueDevilLady:

Has your husband read the Washington Post article? It might knock some sense into him. 

That article scared the living sh!t out of me, because I realized that we all have ocassional moments of forgetfulness, and the only thing that saves us from those parents' fate is pure dumb luck and circumstances.

It was incredibly eye-opening...and I don't judge a single one of the parents featured in that article.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"