Toddlers: 24 Months+

Dentist? what age?

Did most of you wait until age 3 or bring your lo sooner? Did you have a hard time finding a dentist who accepts insurance? How much does the 1st visit cost?

Re: Dentist? what age?

• Our peditrician suggested 3 years.  So DD will go next month.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Our pedi suggested starting at 1.  DS1 went at 13 months and then again at 2.  It was completely covered by insurance.  We had no trouble finding a dentist.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Loading the player...
  • We went at 18 months and again at 2 years. We had no trouble finding a dentist that took our insurance, but if we didn't have insurance it would have been $99.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I took DD at 18 months and DS at 12 months.  I was not aware of the new recommendations until DD was 18 months so that is why I waited longer for her.  I had no problem finding a dentist at first.  After we moved I had a problem finding a pediatric dentist covered by our insurance in the new area, but I just called the insurance company and they gave me a local pediatric dentist recommendation.  All the kids' appointments thus far have been covered completely by insurance. 
  • tracy41tracy41 member
    I took him at 2 and was able to find a pediatric dentist that took my insurance right near my house so I have not had to pay anything.
  • My peds recommended about 2 yrs old, just to get them used to it and have them quickly checked out.  They don't clean em or anything like that, but it was good to have someone look and check em and say everything looks good.  No prob finding a great peds dentist who took insurance.
  • I'm in NZ so dental check ups are free here until you leave school.

They start around 18mths, but we didn't end up taking DD1 in until she was 2 1/2 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Our pedi recommended waiting till 3, so we did. DS did great, we had no trouble finding a dentist, we just asked family who their kids went to. Through our insurance preventative care is free so we paid nothing.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • wedseptwedsept member

Our pedi told us to go at 18 months, so we did.  I had no problems finding a pediatric dentist covered by insurance.  We haven't paid for anything.  We went to the dentist our pedi recommended, which is right next door to the pedi.  So, we double up--we go to the dentist first, and then the pedi right afterwards. 

I want my children to learn early about dental hygiene, since most people hate going to the dentist.

Plus, the dentist told me that my DD had a lot of plaque because it was difficult to brush with a regular toothbrush and recommended the kid's sonicare electric toothbrush.  The next time, my DD had very little plaque.

• We started at two with both girls, and just take them to our family dentist every six months, which is covered by our dental insurance. 

I took DD1 for the first time around 15 months because she had some buildup on her teeth, but it didn't require cleaning.  

Once we started regular visits, It took a few times for them to get comfortable with the equipment and the process, but now they do great. DD1 is a pro now at five; and at her last appointment, my three-year-old let them do everything except rinse with the water squirter. Sometimes I schedule my visit right before one of them, so I take one girl, she watches me get my teeth cleaned, and then takes her turn -- it helps them to see it first. 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • They should go around 1. I took Emma when she was 20 months. Most pediatric dentists take a wide range of insurances. I'm glad I took her when I did, it gets them used to it at a young age and I know I need to floss for her(which is not easy)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Linz-ELinz-E member
    I took DD at per her pediatricians recommendation. I found a pediatric dentist relatively easy and didnt pay anything with insurance for first visit. It was a great experience all around!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • Linz-ELinz-E member

imageLinz-E:
    I took DD at per her pediatricians recommendation. I found a pediatric dentist relatively easy and didnt pay anything with insurance for first visit. It was a great experience all around!

Should say at 2 :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

Natural M/C 1.10 MMC 1.13 CP 12.13
    This is for all the caterpillars that never became butterflies. And for all the butterflies that never felt the wind in their wings. And for all the hearts that had hopes and dreams of a wondrous flight together.
  • I took her at age two, and they did great with her.  Made her feel very at ease, showing her each tool and trying each one out.  She even let them scrap her teeth for ten seconds. lol.  I'm glad we didn't wait. 

• My dentist said around 3/3.5 years of age
  • Our dentist recommends age 3 but from personal experience, I would suggest sooner than that. My son chipped his front tooth at around a year old and everyone said NBD, it's just a baby tooth. Of course we brush his teeth but shortly after he turned 2, the chipped tooth turned into an abcess and he had to have it removed at the ER.  I feel like if we had brought him in at 18 months he might have been saved from a lot of suffering and a traumatic ER visit.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • RoxpupRoxpup member
    he went for the first time at 18 months, which was later than we wanted, but we didn't (don't) have dental insurance.  w/o insurance, his visits are around $110.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"