Toddlers: 24 Months+

Brother and sister bathtime?

A couple of weeks ago, DH had a business dinner, and I was running late getting the kids to bed, so I bathed them together.  DD is 10 months and DS is 3.  DS thought this was awesome and he asks to take a bath together almost every night.  DH doesn't outright say no, but he doesn't like the idea.  DS is often around when we bathe or change DD, so it's not like he's seeing her naked for the first time.  At what age do you think a brother and sister sharing a bath is inappropriate? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Brother and sister bathtime?

• My DD is 2.5 and DS is almost 9 months. They've been taking baths together since DS was 2 months old. (When we finally had a bathtub, prior to that, DS took baths in the sink and DD took showers).

I have no idea when it's considered "inappropriate." I'm thinking when DD is closer to four or five? 

• I'd say when it starts to get "weird". You will know. At such a young age, I personally don't find anything wrong with it.
  • Loading the player...
  • It wouldn't dawn on me NOT to do it.

I agree with the PP, when it starts to get weird I'm sure you'll know it.

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBelhurstBride:
    It wouldn't dawn on me NOT to do it.I agree with the PP, when it starts to get weird I'm sure you'll know it.

This. DS1 is 2 DD2 is 7 months. They have been bathing together since DD2 was 4 months. Bath time would stink if I had to bathe them separately. It saves so much time!

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• My DD and DS bathe together and have since DS started taking baths in the regular bath tub.  I plan on stopping when DD starts wanting privacy.  She has yet to show any signs of modesty.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well DD bathed with her 5 y.o. cousin the other weekend.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• DD is 3.5 and DS is 1.5 and they've been bathing since he was around 4 months.  They love it and it definitely cuts bathtime in half!  I don't plan to start separating bathtime until DD starts having a problem with it.  I think your DH is unnecessarily sexualizing this innocent activity. 
  • kpips20kpips20 member
    DS is 4 and DD is 2 and they've been taking a bath together since she was born. They both love it. I think maybe when he's closer to 5 I'll start giving him seperate bath/showers but for now I'm comfortable with it.

• My DS is almost 5 and DD is 2.5 and they bath together. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • WulfgarWulfgar member
    I think my sister and I started to bath separately around the time that she was 5ish.  We stopped sharing a bed at my one Grandparents place around 7 (it was a full size bed) and she didn't move to a different room until almost a teenager.

• VespahVespah member
    My brother and I shared a bath until I was in grade 3 or 4 ish....he was 1.5 years older than me. So how old are you then, about 8?  I still remember making deals with him debating who got the deep end. We had a great time playing together, eventually we stopped when we wanted to, I think because we discovered showers instead.
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• My kids still bathe together or with me. There is no way that my DD can wash her hair independently, so until that point baths are done for my convenience. She has not requested any privacy and things are not weird. So I say until you kid can shower completely independently without supervision then you should put them together if it makes things easier for you.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • I don't see how it could possibly be inappropriate at this age.  DD is 4.5 and DS is 2.5.  They bathe or shower together every night.  They have a blast playing in there together.  Once one of them starts to feel awkward or embarrassed about it, we'll end it.  Until then I see no reason to stop their fun.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My younger brother and I shared a bath until I was 6 or 7, and shared a room until I was 12.
  • MeesheMeeshe member
    My 5.5 YO and 2.5 YO still take baths together.  I'm dreading having to end it because it's so much easier.  I do think we will end it soon though.  It's "weird" only in that it's so not weird to them, they don't think anything of climbing on top of each other.  At 5.5 it's starting to get a little "weird' to me to see that.  I'm hoping in the next few months I can transition my DD to doing more of her bath/shower on her own.
  • imageBelhurstBride:

It wouldn't dawn on me NOT to do it.

I agree with the PP, when it starts to get weird I'm sure you'll know it.

This. I can't imagine bathing separate right now. 

• DD is almost 7 and DS is 4 and they still bathe together. They love it so I see no reason to put an end to it. I'll take my cues from them as to when we should stop.
  • leebi07leebi07 member
    I have 2.5 yo twins and they always take a bath together.  They are just starting to realize that they have different parts, but I think that discovery was more during potty training then at bath time.  I will probably continue for a couple more years unless they want to stop sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"