Babies: 0 - 3 Months

exclusively pumping

does anyone here exclusively pump and bottle feed? If so, how often do you pump? How do you ensure that you are maintaining your milk supply? What made you decide to pump and bottle feed instead of breast or formula?

My LO is 2 weeks old. Initially she had trouble latching and was jaundiced, so we had to start supplementing right away. She is doing better with breast feeding, but feedings are still hit or miss, which is causing anxiety for me since I never know how things are going to go. I have been using a hospital grade pump to help establish my milk supply, which has worked great. I have more milk stored than she needs, which has gotten me thinking about just pumping and bottle feeding. I'm just not sure how it would work long term.

Re: exclusively pumping

• SkyBeeSkyBee member
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • snok83snok83 member

I am exlusively pumping.  I started out pumping every 2 hours when the baby ate.  Now, my supply seems to be adequate and I have a large freezer stash so I backed down to pumping every 4 hours.  I have noticed a slight decrease in the amount when I pumped less.  But still enough for all her feedings and normally freeze 1 to 2 bags per day.  I don't do anything special to keep up my supply.   

My reason for pumping...  Well I left the hospital planning to breastfeed and thinking I knew what I was doing.  However, my daughter lossed a lot of weight shortly after leaving the hospital and was jaudiced too.  We also noticed that she was becoming increasingly sleepy and wasn't have many wet diapers those few days home.  Well, we learned that she wasn't apparently getting much or little milk then and basically was starving.  We being first time parents, freaked out and went straight to formula for one day b/c she was dehydrated and I didn't have breastpump at the time.  That day, we noticed an increase in wet diapers and she was more awake. 

For a short period of time, I attempted to breastfeed first, then supplement with a bottle of pumpted milk and then pumped.  However, this process simply took way too long and was exhausting.  Plus, I found that I would spend 15 to 20 minutes trying to breastfeed, only to spend another 20 minutes feeding her a full bottle followed by another 10 to 15 minutes of pumping.   I met with a LC but they wanted me to add a supplemental feeding device (basically a tube that you would use while breastfeeding) It would provide the milk at a quicker flow while still BF and she wanted me to gradually decrease the use of it until I was fully BF.  I just couldn't do one more thing so I gave up trying to BF and went to EP.  So far it has worked for me.  We will see though how long I continue when I return to work in August.  

• Loading the player...
  • The first few days of being at home, I could not tell how much LO was getting from me. I started pumping and liked knowing how much he was getting. I also only had 6 weeks off so it was easier for us to transition to me going back to work. I pump 7 times a day although they suggest more. I pump when he wakes up at 3:30 then 6:30, 9:30, 12:30, 3:30, 6:30 and before I go to bed anywhere from 9:30 to 10:30. I have an oversupply most days so I started freezing it 4 weeks in. I'm rotating the frozen up now. About once a week I keep a count of what I'm pumping. Similac has a free app to help with it. It is more work but he has thrived on the system so we are going to keep doing it as long as we can. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jglenn4jglenn4 member
    imageJandS99:

does anyone here exclusively pump and bottle feed? If so, how often do you pump? How do you ensure that you are maintaining your milk supply? What made you decide to pump and bottle feed instead of breast or formula?

My LO is 2 weeks old. Initially she had trouble latching and was jaundiced, so we had to start supplementing right away. She is doing better with breast feeding, but feedings are still hit or miss, which is causing anxiety for me since I never know how things are going to go. I have been using a hospital grade pump to help establish my milk supply, which has worked great. I have more milk stored than she needs, which has gotten me thinking about just pumping and bottle feeding. I'm just not sure how it would work long term.

I exclusively pump and have been doing so for about 8-9 weeks (LO is almost 12 weeks).

I pump 8 times a day.  I have no set schedule due to LO, but I do try to do it at least every 3 hours.  If I realize I'm not going to get 8 sessions in then I will pump every hour or do a power pump.  I read that during the first 12 weeks when establishing supply the least amount you should pump is 7 times a day. Following this rule has made my supply increase, I have built up a freezer stash,and I have not had to supplement since the first week/week and a half

I decided to exclusively pump because (1) I like knowing that she is getting enough to eat; and most importantly (2) LO was a lazy nurser and would nurse for an hour.  In the beginning I felt as if she was always nursing and I couldn't get anything done.

***Btw...I second checking out Kelly Mom.  That site and La Leche League have been a huge help in my journey. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"