June 2013 Moms

When do you plan to leave?

I have the option to be finished work this Sunday. I'll be 36 weeks. Too early? I don't have any medical issues with my pregnancy but I have lots of sick and vaca time available if I like.

What are your reasons to keep working? Or go off?

Re: When do you plan to leave?

• It would be too early for me.  At my company you can't use sick/vacation time to extend your FMLA so I wouldn't be able to even if I wanted to.  Just keep in mind that you could potentially be waiting for that baby for SIX more weeks.  That's a lot of time :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• MaelaraMaelara member
    June 4th is my last day :) it's only 2 weeks before my due date and I have a lot to do still!
  • Loading the player...
  • Ya this was my concern... Being bored. I'm in Canada tho so I am spoiled with 52wks of mat leave. Such a blessing!
  • Too early for me. Today was my last day, and I have a scheduled C-Section Tuesday. I worked right up to the very end.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I fully intended on working up until my due date. But got pulled out this week. If I didn't have BP issues I would still be at work. Maybe start taking a few half days or a day off a week? Give you some extra time to do stuff without going all the way.

CJ 05/29/2013

• My last day of full time is 38 weeks 4 days. Part time until 39 weeks 4 days. Starting leave on my dud date and I cant wait to be done.
  • jefkjefk member
    Today was my last day - I'm 37w4d, due 6/11.  I'm a teacher and being on my feet all day in a hot building has been killing me.  I'm glad to be done!  I'm taking sick time from now til the end of the year, and 6 weeks of FMLA in the fall.
  • I plan on working until the very end.  Then I get more time with the LO. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • working until the day before my due date
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I live in CA with "use it or lose it" 4 weeks pre-due date disability available. I was going to work closer to my due date but the HR lady said there's no advantage to that and I can't add it at the end of my parental leave. So I'm working until 37 weeks. Would leave at the 4 week mark but I made prior commitments.

I'll probably go a little stir crazy, but it will be nice to have time to focus on all of the baby stuff I haven't dealt with yet. Definitely nice to not commute 1 hour each way and deal with those puffy feet! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dr wants me out next week and ill be 37 weeks. I am on my feet 10 hrs a day and have had really bad swelling. I just cant do it anymore. Ill be filing for short term disibility.
  • I'd probably split the difference and work two more weeks. If I don't have a baby this weekend I will be at work a few days next week.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm Canadian too and I'm leaving work when I'm just over 37 weeks. It's easiest for me to leave work at month end.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagesnortyjen:
    I live in CA with "use it or lose it" 4 weeks predue date disability available. I was going to work closer to my due date but the HR lady said there's no advantage to that and I can't add it at the end of my parental leave. So I'm working until 37 weeks. Would leave at the 4 week mark but I made prior commitments.I'll probably go a little stir crazy, but it will be nice to have time to focus on all of the baby stuff I haven't dealt with yet. Definitely nice to not commute 1 hour each way and deal with those puffy feet!nbsp;

This is me too. My last day was today. Monday I'll be 37 weeks. I figured I might as well use most of the time I'm entitled to and have paid into. I have lots of projects to keep me busy.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd wait and use the time AFTER baby was here.

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • Well when I take off work I don't get paid so I wouldn't do it. :) Plus I'd rather have that time AFTER the baby is here to recover and then to enjoy the baby.

Honestly ... what would you do right now? I would be bored out of my mind. Especially if I had potentially 5-6 weeks of nothing before the baby actually arrived. 

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • daffy2kdaffy2k member
    Also from Canada -- I started my leave just shy of 35 weeks at the end of April.  I have not been bored!  No medical reason for leaving early, and my energy levels have been good so I have been able to get so much done around the house.  I love that I have had the time to do my spring cleaning (washing walls, windows, all that stuff I usually don't have time for) and have been able to get most of my yard work done as well.  It's also been great to have more time with DH when he is on days off.  Overall I'm really happy with my decision to take the month of May off, I feel likei have completely de-stressed from work and am now starting to actually feel ready for this LO to get here :)
    div style="text-align: center;">
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I got put on light duty at 32 weeks bit my job doesn't recognize it, so I've bee. Out of work since then (today made 6 weeks of being home). It really depends on your job demands and what you feel capable of doing. There was no way that I could fulfill my nursing duties, so out I went. 

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• I suppose I could have mentioned what I do! I'm a nurse in the busiest hospital in the city... Sooo much walking and short breaks often.

Thanks for all your comments. I think I shall leave early! I won't have this free time in a very long time. Perhaps I'll learn how to cook this month lol.
  • Faith7Faith7 member

I'll be 36 weeks in about 4 days.  I would LOVE to be off work then--I have so much work to do!!  Besides the fact that the nursery still needs to be built (not just painted & decorated), I have two large pieces of furniture I need to refinish, a slipcover for an armchair to sew, some smaller items to paint, and some pillows & decorations to make.  And I want to cook & freeze lots of meals so I won't have to worry about that when the baby arrives.  Plus, of course, flowers that want planting and other flowers that need tending and stuff around the house that needs to be cleaned up and hauled off. Gah!  It would be heaven to focus on that stuff instead of dragging myself to work every day!  As grumpy as I am, you'd think they'd just send me home to get away from me.

But I only get 12 weeks of FML, and I have to use my medical/annual leave at the same time as the FML.  In other words, no more than 12 weeks, no matter what.  So I'm working up until the day I go into labor, if possible, just because I want a full 12 weeks to spend with my little one once he arrives. Plus, we need the money.

I'm kind of fascinated by the women who really have a passion for their work, even when there are things at home that need doing.  I don't hate my job; I would enjoy it if I were still single and had no life and nothing waiting for me at home.  But it's so difficult to care about job-stuff when there's all this real-life wonderfulness waiting for me at home!

• I've been off since I was deemed high risk at 10 wks. I'll be taking full mat leave as well after LO is here. Gotta love being Canadian hehe. I have been keeping myself busy and I am more than ready for our baby to come.
    TTC since 2004, Ectopic 2005, lost right tube. Multiple miscarriages. Baby girl born June 2013.
  • I'm due June 21 and stop work on June 9th. I'm looking forward to stopping so I can prepare and finish many things. 
  • That would be too early for me. I am leaving just after 39 weeks.
  • I started my leave this past week. I work in an ER and although I feel I was still ok to work, I wanted to spend this last little bit of baby free time with my hubby. Plus the ER I work in is right next to a psych hospital, so we get quite a bit of psych patients in there and although most of the time I can steer clear of them, I'd rather not take a chance.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• kh59kh59 member

imageagerstner:
    I suppose I could have mentioned what I do! I'm a nurse in the busiest hospital in the city... Sooo much walking and short breaks often. Thanks for all your comments. I think I shall leave early! I won't have this free time in a very long time. Perhaps I'll learn how to cook this month lol.

Enjoy your time!  I'm in a similar situation--I had a temporary contract that ended when I was 36 weeks and I'll be taking a full year off to stay at home with the baby after she's here.  I sort of worried that I would be bored, but really, not working is pretty awesome.  I felt guilty at first that my husband was heading off to work every day and I didn't have to, but that wasn't really helping either of us, so I let it go and decided that what he gets out of this is the cleanest kitchen we've ever had and a wife who's as relaxed and calm as she can be for an 8+-months pregnant FTM.  I've been cleaning, putting away freezer meals, getting my vegetable garden going, and enjoying plenty of time for exercise, reading, and afternoon naps.  Who knows?  This will likely be the last time I get to just relax and focus on taking care of myself for a couple decades, so I see no reason not to enjoy it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"