Babies: 0 - 3 Months

STTN

Just curious, but what do you all consider sleeping through the night for your little ones?  I know typically it means sleeping 8+ hours without feeding.

Personally, I often say my baby is sleeping through the night despite her waking to feed.  She sleeps from 6:30pm-6:30am with about 3-5 feeds but she never wants to play during this time.  I go in and dream feed 2x in evening before I go to bed (8:30 & 10:30) since she feeds every 2hrs during day.  She then wakes herself 1-3 times during the remainder of the night.  I change, feed and burp her and have her back in her bed within 20 min of waking.

Since she doesn't expect to be entertained during the night I personally consider this STTN.  Of course I look forward to her sleeping longer without feeds but I am so thankful she doesn't need to be entertained and walked and rocked etc during the night that I do use the term STTN.

I have found that even my husband gets confused...I say STTN but then get up to feed her so he's like but you said she slept through the night until 6:30am. I keep telling him how lucky we are she just eats then sleeps that I consider it STTN for a 10 week old (she's been on this routine for a good 5 weeks).

Re: STTN

• Waking to eat =/= STTN. STTN means sleeping at least 6-8 hours in a row with no waking.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • HML5382HML5382 member

imagemabenner1:
    Waking to eat =/= STTN. STTN means sleeping at least 6-8 hours in a row with no waking.

Yes

And for me to say it, those 6-8 hours really need to be while I'm sleeping! LO usually sleeps from around 9pm-4am right now with no wakeups, but that 4am wakeup is still a MOTN feeding in my opinion. So I don't count it as STTN yet.

• Loading the player...
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    DS sleeps for 5-6 hours, then wakes for a feeding and back down for 3 hours. I don't consider this STTN. He's had a night or two of STTN and that was 7-8 hours without waking up, so more of a normal night for me before he was born.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• monaluamonalua member
    Why does it matter?

Sounds like you have LO on a great routine and you're all getting good rest!
  • I consider STTN 6 or more hours without waking or feeding. LO sleeps from 10pm5am. She will doze in and out from 7pm 10pm but she also eats between then so I don't count that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JenniD2JenniD2 member
    imageHML5382:

imagemabenner1:
    Waking to eat =/= STTN. STTN means sleeping at least 6-8 hours in a row with no waking.

Yes

And for me to say it, those 6-8 hours really need to be while I'm sleeping! LO usually sleeps from around 9pm-4am right now with no wakeups, but that 4am wakeup is still a MOTN feeding in my opinion. So I don't count it as STTN yet.

I agree. DS only wakes one time during the night and goes back down right away but that is not STTN. 

• imagemonalua:
    Why does it matter? Sounds like you have LO on a great routine and you're all getting good rest!

This! If you feel rested, and happy and YOU consider LO to be STTN then so be it! I think this term varies so much that it's confusing when ANYONE uses it. Technically, STTN is 12-5 without a wake up; my LO was sleeping 7-4 for a a couple weeks, which to ME was STTN but not in the technical sense. Other people will say STTN is when they are sleeping the baby sleeps..or a 8 hour stretch..or a 10 hour stretch...or a 5 hour stretch!

Personally, the first time she slept a 6 hour stretch before feeding I considered that STTN. my husband, though, disagreed ;)

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • For me it will be when she stops waking up for MOTN feedings.

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• =Lee=B=Lee=B member
    imageVPGIRL06:

imagemonalua:
    Why does it matter? Sounds like you have LO on a great routine and you're all getting good rest!

This! If you feel rested, and happy and YOU consider LO to be STTN then so be it! I think this term varies so much that it's confusing when ANYONE uses it. Technically, STTN is 12-5 without a wake up; my LO was sleeping 7-4 for a a couple weeks, which to ME was STTN but not in the technical sense. Other people will say STTN is when they are sleeping the baby sleeps..or a 8 hour stretch..or a 10 hour stretch...or a 5 hour stretch!

Personally, the first time she slept a 6 hour stretch before feeding I considered that STTN. my husband, though, disagreed ;)

I was curious because so many moms on here use the term and I am wondering what they are referring to when they use it.

• image=Lee=B:
    imageVPGIRL06:

imagemonalua:

I was curious because so many moms on here use the term and I am wondering what they are referring to when they use it.

They mean just that: sleeping THROUGH the night. Not waking up every 2-4 hours to eat. If I'm getting out of bed to feed a LO, they aren't sleeping through the night.

• My LO "slept through the night" last night. At least, after her getting up every 2 hours for the past 6 weeks, we consider this STTN! She slept from 10:00 p.m. until 4 a.m.  We both woke up startled thinking "OMG she must be dead!" She wasn't, but boy was she hungry! And I don't think DH and I have EVER been that cheery at 4 a.m... ever! :)

Before last night, she was up around 12-1 a.m. and then again around 3 a.m... I had a few "lucky" nights where we fed her late (10:30 p.m.) and she only got up once around 2 a.m., but I still didn't count that as STTN.

IMO, STTN = 6 hours, no waking up.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagepinkglam7:
    I consider STTN 6 or more hours without waking or feeding. LO sleeps from 10pm5am. She will doze in and out from 7pm 10pm but she also eats between then so I don't count that.

This is what I consider STTN too. DS sleeps from 10-7 with one wakeup. That one wakeup is right in the middle, so I still don't think he's STTN.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• I consider 6 hours the minimum for STTN. DS2 sleeps 6 to 8 hour stretches so I say he is STTN at this point.

image image
  • poppyc8poppyc8 member
    LO sleeps from 9pm to 3am then from 3:30am to 6:30am....its a good 6 hour stretch but i don' t call it STTN yet because i'm up feeding him at 3am.   
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers IAmPregnant Ticker
  • imagebdcram:
    imagemabenner1:
    This. Did you consider it STTN when you got up a bunch of times to pee when you were KU? I didn't.

all of this. 

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • SkyBeeSkyBee member
    Definately not STTN. I consider no wakings or feedings for atleast 8 hours is STTN. LOL if I were to evaluate my twins the same, they would have been STTN since day 1!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"