3rd Trimester

scared of c-section

Just scheduled a c-section today. Doctor is very concerned about the size of DS. Already weighing in at 8lbs (I know it can be an estimate either +- a 1lb) but the size of his head and belly are already measuring at 40 weeks.  He said he could let me try and do labor naturally but the risks are high for the baby becoming distressed or stuck which would result in c-section. I'm so scared. The thought of surgery freaks me out. Please tell me it's not that bad!
Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: scared of c-section

• nycnolanycnola member
    It's not that bad- I had an unplanned section and really, it wasn't as terrible as I had imagined. But when did they schedule the section for? I would definitely try to have the baby vaginally and only do the section as a last resort. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sections are not bad.  They are very quick, and recovery is not bad either.  As always, there are people with horror stories out there.  It will all be just fine.  If you still have high anxiety the day of, make sure your doctor and the nurses are aware.  They have ways to help. I will have my second section with this one. Smile
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry but I don't get this.  If he's telling you that you could try on your own and you MIGHT need a c section, why would you skip the trying and go straight for the c section when that's the thing you want to avoid most.  Size estimates are exactly that - estimates so I would think you'd want to give it a shot and hope a c section is a last resort (FTR, I had a c section and had an easy recovery so I'm not saying that to scare you but it IS major surgery)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• imagenycnola:
    It's not that bad- I had an unplanned section and really, it wasn't as terrible as I had imagined. But when did they schedule the section for? I would definitely try to have the baby vaginally and only do the section as a last resort. Good luck!

It's scheduled 2 days before my due date - So June 4th. 

Married my BEST FRIEND on December 1, 2007. Started TTC in March 2008. Found out we were expecting our first child in October 2008 - but had a m/c in December 2008 - resulting in a d&e. Met with a RE in May 2009 and set a plan - but conceived unexpectedly on our own! Our precious little Sophia was born on February 9, 2010! Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • nycnolanycnola member
    imagejillianjigs7:

I would re-schedule that for after your due date. 41 weeks maybe? Your OB isn't giving you a chance at all! Lots of women have big babies all the time with no problem. Like I said, I had a section myself because I ended up needing it, but it is major surgery, and why put yourself through if you might not need it? 

• imageelmoali:
    I'm sorry but I don't get this.  If he's telling you that you could try on your own and you MIGHT need a c section, why would you skip the trying and go straight for the c section when that's the thing you want to avoid most.  Size estimates are exactly that - estimates so I would think you'd want to give it a shot and hope a c section is a last resort (FTR, I had a c section and had an easy recovery so I'm not saying that to scare you but it IS major surgery)

He only said I could try on my own since I'm petrified of surgery, but it's not something he is recommending. He explained things very well with me in detail, which is what made us decide going ahead with the section is what's best. Especially since he can still get even bigger within these next 2 weeks. 

• imagenycnola:
    imagejillianjigs7:

I would re-schedule that for after your due date. 41 weeks maybe? Your OB isn't giving you a chance at all! Lots of women have big babies all the time with no problem. Like I said, I had a section myself because I ended up needing it, but it is major surgery, and why put yourself through if you might not need it? 

I've been contemplating pushing the date back but his concerns were already that the baby's belly and head were already measuring 40 weeks. So in another 2 weeks he will have grown more. IDK. It's just so frustrating. I'm honestly praying that he decides to come naturally within the next few days so I can just avoid the whole thing all together! 

• nycnolanycnola member
    Yes, it's so stressful. But like others have said, growth estimates are only estimates. Don't freak yourself out too much! Good luck, and I'll send some labor thoughts your way!
  • tig594tig594 member
    My c/s was scheduled and it wasn't bad at all.   It was actually a breeze.  I had to be at the hospital at 5:30 Wed morning and was home by 2:00 Friday afternoon.  If no one has told you yet, getting up and walking, even a little, as soon as you can makes all the difference in the world.    Good luck!
  • Just wanted to add that if it were me I would definitely decline the C-section and try to go natural. There is a discussion about this same exact thing on my BMB right now. Everything I have read says that late ultrasounds are notoriously inaccurate at predicting baby's size. 8 pounds is really not that big...it's more like average. And ACOG even says that a suspected big baby is not a good reason for an elective induction, let alone a cesarean. I'm sure if you go through with the C-section, you will be fine, but I'm just saying you do have other options and I would be skeptical about how accurate the measurements are. 
  • imageelmoali:
    I'm sorry but I don't get this. nbsp;If he's telling you that you could try on your own and you MIGHT need a c section, why would you skip the trying and go straight for the c section when that's the thing you want to avoid most. nbsp;Size estimates are exactly that estimates so I would think you'd want to give it a shot and hope a c section is a last resort FTR, I had a c section and had an easy recovery so I'm not saying that to scare you but it IS major surgery

Yep. Agree.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• imageelmoali:
    I'm sorry but I don't get this. nbsp;If he's telling you that you could try on your own and you MIGHT need a c section, why would you skip the trying and go straight for the c section when that's the thing you want to avoid most. nbsp;Size estimates are exactly that estimates so I would think you'd want to give it a shot and hope a c section is a last resort FTR, I had a c section and had an easy recovery so I'm not saying that to scare you but it IS major surgery

This! I would get a second opinion. They estimated dd would be over 8 lbs, not via an ultrasound, but still, and she was 6 lbs 10 oz and born vaginally without a tear! You shouldnt be pushed into unnecessary surgery. Ask if you can try on your own and see how labor goes. The recovery is much easier and you won't have to worry about automatically getting surgery with each subsequent pregnancy.
  • I had a planned cesarean for similar reasons, except DS was measuring over 41 weeks at 36 for head and abdomen- not something I would have liked to deliver! Their size estimates for me were right on, and DS was almost 10 pounds at 39 weeks.

The cesarean and the recovery was simple. The bet advice I got was: let them know during the surgery how you are feeling. The anesthesiologist will fix you up- ie nausea, anxiety, etc.

As soon as you start to feel your legs, ask for some pain medication. You will likely begin having some incision pain soon after, and it's better to be on top of the medication. If you plan on breastfeeding, do not be afraid of the pain medication! Take what you need to be comfortable, or breastfeeding will be more difficult for you (when you are in pain). Get up and walk as soon as they let you. It helps, even though it hurts.

Do what is best for you, but know if you need the c-section, it really isn't bad at all! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Second opinion time.

Also, have you researched your particular OB and their c-section rates?  Honestly, this sounds to me like an excuse to schedule this baby at a time that might be better for them, not really you or the baby.  Knowing this statistic will let you know how concerned you should be.  I know that if my doctor suddenly told me I needed a c-section for some reason I'd be agreeing in a heart beat because the practice's c-section transfer rate is really low and not done lightly.  In fact, they don't believe in c-sections for "big babies" at all unless you have GD and aren't controlling it properly (both because the baby would be larger AND because of the health risks to the mom from the uncontrolled GD).  But if I were being seen at a practice where the c-section rate is high I'd be a little more inclined to continue on the vaginal delivery path or obtain a second opinion and really research my options.

And 8 pounds really isn't that big.  Women vaginally deliver 9 and even 10 pound babies without have any issues.  I attended one birth with a 9.5 pound baby where the mom didn't even tear and the baby came out with just four pushes!  In general, unless there's an underlining health problem, your body shouldn't grow a baby that's too large for your body.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• imageJCWhitey:
    Second opinion time.Also, have you researched your particular OB and their csection rates?nbsp; Honestly, this sounds to me like an excuse to schedule this baby at a time that might be better for them, not really you or the baby.nbsp; Knowing this statistic will let you know how concerned you should be.nbsp; I know that if my doctor suddenly told me I needed a csection for some reason I'd be agreeing in a heart beat because the practice's csection transfer rate is really low and not done lightly.nbsp; In fact, they don't believe in csections for "big babies" at all unless you have GD and aren't controlling it properly both because the baby would be larger AND because of the health risks to the mom from the uncontrolled GD.nbsp; But if I were being seen at a practice where the csection rate is high I'd be a little more inclined to continue on the vaginal delivery path or obtain a second opinion and really research my options.And 8 pounds really isn't that big.nbsp; Women vaginally deliver 9 and even 10 pound babies without have any issues.nbsp; I attended one birth with a 9.5 pound baby where the mom didn't even tear and the baby came out with just four pushes!nbsp; In general, unless there's an underlining health problem, your body shouldn't grow a baby that's too large for your body.

Uh, yea. No way would I be considering a major surgery based on "the baby may be too big".
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm definitely going to reconsider and try and get a second opinion. My DD was 8.4 at birth and I had no problems during delivery only than having to have an episiotomy. Definitely didn't want this stress. I already suffer from anxiety and this has it in full swing!
  • imagejillianjigs7:
    I'm definitely going to reconsider and try and get a second opinion. My DD was 8.4 at birth and I had no problems during delivery only than having to have an episiotomy. Definitely didn't want this stress. I already suffer from anxiety and this has it in full swing!

I see you are in NJ...which hospital are you delivering at? I know Morristown Memorial (where I'm delivering) is making a push for less unnecessary c sections (it's also VBAC friendly, which is one of my reasons for wanting to deliver there). You may want to give that hospital a shot and ditch your doc all together. I would NEVER trust a doc that pushed a pre-due date c section due to a size estimate, most have a hidden agenda or are lazy for suggesting it. 

As far as c sections go, I am the odd man out here. My c section itself was fine (emergent, but necessary to prevent me from bleeding out at 30 weeks, and the procedure was textbook), but my recovery sucked horribly; I didn't feel okay for 6 weeks! I am doing everything to avoid a c section at all costs because I don't want to have to care for a newborn and 3 year old while recovering from major abdominal surgery again. 

• I'm in the same boat. 8lbs at 36 weeks. Section scheduled for June 3rd. The dr has been delivering baby's for a long time. They know what's best. For those of you that aren't in this situation, please know there are risks to delivery big baby's. including birth defects etc. so don't judge a scheduled section for someone deciding not to take a risk with their child. Ya, baby could only be 7lbs, not 8 at 36 wks. But he could also be 9.
  • imagesteph3222:
    I'm in the same boat. 8lbs at 36 weeks. Section scheduled for June 3rd. The dr has been delivering baby's for a long time. They know what's best. For those of you that aren't in this situation, please know there are risks to delivery big baby's. including birth defects etc. so don't judge a scheduled section for someone deciding not to take a risk with their child. Ya, baby could only be 7lbs, not 8 at 36 wks. But he could also be 9.

I'm glad to see I am not alone in my situation. The risks he talked about with me trying to deliver him naturally were unreal. I would be terrified if he got stuck and they needed to turn to a c-section after trying hard to have him naturally. ((hugs)) to you and our babies! 

• I had to make this exact decision this week... Because my DD is now measuring almost 10lb by ultrasound, they highly recommended a C-section because of possible shoulder dystocia leading to permanent neurological deficits and even death if they were unable to get her oxygen while stuck.  I went back and forth for days (chances are less 1%), but in the end, I decided that while I want nothing to do with surgery (freaks me out too), I have to do what is right for my baby, which means eliminating every chance of harming her that I can.  Remember if you go with the c-section, it isn't about you, it is about your baby and already being the best mom you can be for them.
  • imageJCWhitey:

Second opinion time.

Also, have you researched your particular OB and their c-section rates?  Honestly, this sounds to me like an excuse to schedule this baby at a time that might be better for them, not really you or the baby.  Knowing this statistic will let you know how concerned you should be.  I know that if my doctor suddenly told me I needed a c-section for some reason I'd be agreeing in a heart beat because the practice's c-section transfer rate is really low and not done lightly.  In fact, they don't believe in c-sections for "big babies" at all unless you have GD and aren't controlling it properly (both because the baby would be larger AND because of the health risks to the mom from the uncontrolled GD).  But if I were being seen at a practice where the c-section rate is high I'd be a little more inclined to continue on the vaginal delivery path or obtain a second opinion and really research my options.

And 8 pounds really isn't that big.  Women vaginally deliver 9 and even 10 pound babies without have any issues.  I attended one birth with a 9.5 pound baby where the mom didn't even tear and the baby came out with just four pushes!  In general, unless there's an underlining health problem, your body shouldn't grow a baby that's too large for your body.

This! I would majorly question a doctor that is sch a c/s based on estimated size alone. The amount of these posts I'm seeing lately really throws me off considering how much research is coming out that flies directly in the opposite direction. Average size for a new born can range from 5-10lbs. An 8lb baby is hardly large. Seems to me that size would be right about middle sized.

BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Soleil3Soleil3 member
    imagesonshine0609:
    imageJCWhitey:

Second opinion time.

This! I would majorly question a doctor that is sch a c/s based on estimated size alone. The amount of these posts I'm seeing lately really throws me off considering how much research is coming out that flies directly in the opposite direction. Average size for a new born can range from 5-10lbs. An 8lb baby is hardly large. Seems to me that size would be right about middle sized.

tritto.

You know US measurements can be off by 1-2 lbs, and you've already pushed out an 8+ lb baby, the second is most certainly easier to push out than the first!

What a quack doctor! 

image image

• imagesteph3222:
    I'm in the same boat. 8lbs at 36 weeks. Section scheduled for June 3rd. The dr has been delivering baby's for a long time. They know what's best. For those of you that aren't in this situation, please know there are risks to delivery big baby's. including birth defects etc. so don't judge a scheduled section for someone deciding not to take a risk with their child. Ya, baby could only be 7lbs, not 8 at 36 wks. But he could also be 9.

Unfortunately, an OB who has been delivering babies "for a long time" may not be your best resource for this sort of situation.  There were a lot of things being taught years ago that they are now learning aren't in the best interst for moms and babies as well as a lot of outdated hospital policies that are now being shown to contribute to our high infant and maternal mortality rates.  That's why the whole "Baby Friendly" certifications came out and why the ACOG is starting to discourage early c-sections for almost every non-emergent reasons (while pushing hospitals to do more VBACs).  The BFHI, for instance, started out to get doctors with outdated training to learn the importance of things like skin to skin after birth and establishing breastfeeding immediately.  Unfortunately, they really only focus on breastfeeding but there are still a lot of very outdated practices here in the US that haven't been corrected everywhere yet and the progress the ACOG is making is very slow (heck, even the BFHI was started in the early 90s and only now catching on!).

But, an 8, 9, or even 10 pound baby doesn't even fall into the most recent study as to the risks involved with shoulder dystocia and brachial plexus (done in 2002, I believe).  If I recall correctly (and I apologize for not being able to find the study right now, my school's online library system is down) the study determined that the rate was only increased for non-GD mothers once birth weights hit 11 pound and then the percentage was still only 25%.  And, again, it's not very common that your body will make a baby too large.  However, if you DO have GD that's another story altogether.  I think that study even found that with babies born to mother's with GD the "concern" weight was lowered as far down as 9 pounds.  But, again, then we're dealing with another health factor and no longer a "normal" pregnancy.

I'm not preaching to NOT have a c-section if that's what you really want or need.  But OP sort of made it sound like she'd really prefer to avoid a c-section.  A second opinion is always wise in any medical situation, but especially one that involves your new baby, IMO.  If two doctors that you trust agree then by all means you SHOULD opt for the c-section, but knowing the statistics of the situation as well as the statistics of the doctor in question is just a responsible step to take when you consider that this is the first major decision you make as a parent.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• My first baby was a c-section because of size. The doctor estimated him to be 9+ pounds and said I'd probably have a hard labor because I'm only 4'11 tall and then  wind up with a c-section anyway. My son was 7 lbs 11 oz when he was born. If I knew then, what I know now, I wouldn't have let the doctor scare me into a c-section. 

On the surgery itself, it wasn't bad at all. Neither was the recovery. I just hate that with this baby and any future children, I'll probably have to have another c-section because not many doctors support VBACs where we live now. 

Also, my current doctor showed me my records and the last doctor wrote that the reason for my c-section was failure to progress which is BS. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagejillianjigs7:

imagesteph3222:

I'm glad to see I am not alone in my situation. The risks he talked about with me trying to deliver him naturally were unreal. I would be terrified if he got stuck and they needed to turn to a c-section after trying hard to have him naturally. ((hugs)) to you and our babies! 

I couldn't push out my 6lb baby and wound up being labeled with cephalopelvic disproportion meaning I can't vaginally birth a baby. If you see my ticker you'll notice I'm VBACing because its a total crock and, FYI, I'm not taking a risk with my child. Unless there is an underlying medical reason your body isn't going to create a baby that is too large that you can't push him /her out. Concerned about size? Look into optimal positioning and things you can do to help assure baby is positioned properly...which really has more to do with it then anything.

I also side eye your OB for pulling the "big baby card" and obviously using scare tactics to lead you to a cesarean.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"