Cloth Diapering

Haters!!

Sooo beyond annoyed with our friends/family being so negative about our choice to try cloth diapering.
Why do they care so much .. I mean enough to go out of their way and call to tell us how "disgusting" it is.
No one else does my laundry, will be purchasing, or changing those diapers.. So I think they should keep their negative opinions to themselves!
Now I'm so determined to make this work just to show them it's not that bad!

Re: Haters!!

• Just like @ssholes, everyone's got one.

Ignore them, and do what you want. At the end of the day, if you used disposibles, would those same people buy every diaper your child will need from birth to potty training? No, and it's not their job, just like it's not their business. LOL, I hate when people give unwarranted opinions.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• slh6363slh6363 member
    I'm getting the same thing! They think I'm crazy! 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
  • Loading the player...
  • My mom keeps saying "well when I watch the baby I'm using pampers". Finally I was like fine ya know what you won't have her then!
  • I luckily haven't had people say this to me. But I'm prepared to tell people that they can waste money for something for their kid to poop and pee on. I'd rather not.
    Plus, I'd like to keep their clothes from getting soiled!

Hopefully all the good reviews of CDs actually work for our family. Or I'll have a foot in my mouth!
  • imageKonnersmomma:
    My mom keeps saying "well when I watch the baby I'm using pampers". Finally I was like fine ya know what you won't have her then!

I got this too. They have changed their tune since..its just as easy with Velcro and they didn't have the chance to buy sposies before they watched her....so...they learned its not bad.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • It's strange that other people care. When we decided with baby number three to begin using cloth my family actually went out and bought us disposables. Same with breastfeeding. I stated that I would be breastfeeding my  baby and the next thing you know, they are buying can's of formula! Tell them it's much more disgusting to keep chemicals close to your babies skin and then toss their excrement into a landfill. Hopefully they will come around when they see how incredibly cute babies are in cloth!
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• Lurker: My aunt told me she would never touch me or my baby if I cloth diapered. Because it is so disgusting. Just ignore the haters. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • imagerainbwbby1:
    Lurker: My aunt told me she would never touch me or my baby if I cloth diapered. Because it is so disgusting. Just ignore the haters.nbsp;

Whoa haha that's extreme.
    I seriously don't understand. I mean obviously all patents are judged from time to time but cloth diapers are a good thing.
    I never told my lifelong best friend how disurbed I am when she gives her one year old cans of soda daily.. Yet she tells me right away how gross I am for choosing to cloth diaper lol.
  • I'm not quite sure I understand the logic behind them being gross. I could understand someone thinking it was too much work maybe? So silly!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got so many negative comments about cloth diapering when I talked about it while pregnant.  I got gifted a ton of disposables at the shower hosted at my parents' church.  When I went back when DS was 6 months old, I enjoyed showing the little old church ladies in the nursery how CDs worked.  They side-eyed me, but I enjoyed it all the same.

That's why this board was so awesome for me after DS was born.  Aside from DH, I didn't have much support in the beginning.  Now I have my mom on board with cloth, and MIL even let me use her washer during a visit.  DH and I don't even think of using cloth as a big deal anymore.  And we don't care when people tell us it's gross.  I sorta side-eye them for using sposies actually.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Yeah, I don't get it, pre 1970's they would not have had to much of a choice.Also to say that paper is cheaper in the long run is a rather illogical statement, but hey if it makes them feel better to tell themselves that. But I am spoiled with support, almost all my friend CD and my mother CD all 4 of us kids. ANd I have two converts based on the over all savings alone. I mean heck if you want to have the money ready to buy your diapers when LO gets here just  save for up for a couple months while you are expecting ( about 100 dollars a month, because the is about what you would spend on paper diapers) and you are good to go. But that is just how I think, lol

100x12months=1200
    1200x2years=2400 bucks

• My childbirth class used this packet that was published by "Preparing for Parenting" by Pampers and Luvs.  It's hilarious (and kind of frightening) that on every other page there is something on the virtues of disposable diapers over cloth, which include "they only make up less than 2% of landfills!" "washing all those diapers has just as big an effect on the environment!" "the nation's leading pediatric and public health organizations (no mention of which ones) concluded that disposable diapers help keep germs from spreading in group child care settings."  And of course, repeatedly throughout said packet it claims that "most hospitals recommend PAMPERS from the first day of life!"  

And my MIL has been on a campaign to get us into disposables, but we're sticking by our guns.   And yeah a lot of people have told us "that's disgusting" or "all you're ever going to do is laundry from now on" but whatever.  None of that's true, people will always think all sorts of stupid things.

• You know what's gross...finding those nasty little gel particles on my LO's precious parts after wearing a sposie!!! BLEH!!!
  • My baby, my choice. That's my answer for anyone that doesn't agree with my choices.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageIlovebeingamom:
    I'm not quite sure I understand the logic behind them being gross. I could understand someone thinking it was too much work maybe? So silly!

I think it's because the pee and poo is being washed in the washer where you wash your clothes, towels, sheets etc...some people refuse to believe the poo doesn't stick around after a rinse. Although, it's interesting that dirt and such somehow magically disappears from clothes in the washing machine and there's never concern it'll get on the next load of laundry. But, you know, poo must be different.

Some people's thinking just makes me shake my head and worry about their common sense.
  • I got the same comments from some friends. I just had my first baby and within like 3 poopy diapers I had already accidentally gotten poop on my hand while changing her. It doesn't get any more gross than that! Lol. That's the point I make to them. I mean if the kid gets poo on their clothes what do they do?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is annoying to deal with people making such negative comments.  I think those people would be saying some other stupid crap/advice to you if it weren't the cloth diapers they were on about. People always need to give their opinion.  I'm not even sure I would come back with a snarky comment to them...probably not worth your breath. 

Definitely make the CD's work.  It's so easy-after 5 weeks of exclusively CDing, we love it and have had no hiccups at all. Our family has been very supportive.  When I was pg I told everyone NO DISPOSABLES because they'd get returned.  They listened...and received most of our stash from family.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetrudibell:

My childbirth class used this packet that was published by "Preparing for Parenting" by Pampers and Luvs.  It's hilarious (and kind of frightening) that on every other page there is something on the virtues of disposable diapers over cloth, which include "they only make up less than 2% of landfills!" "washing all those diapers has just as big an effect on the environment!" "the nation's leading pediatric and public health organizations (no mention of which ones) concluded that disposable diapers help keep germs from spreading in group child care settings."  And of course, repeatedly throughout said packet it claims that "most hospitals recommend PAMPERS from the first day of life!"  

And my MIL has been on a campaign to get us into disposables, but we're sticking by our guns.   And yeah a lot of people have told us "that's disgusting" or "all you're ever going to do is laundry from now on" but whatever.  None of that's true, people will always think all sorts of stupid things.

I wear my tin foil hat proudly on baby issues in particular...

Diapers and formula are two of the biggest and most disgusting (and successful) propaganda stunts to ever hit this country in terms of family and societal norms.

The corporations did a great job convincing hospitals, doctors, mothers, and families that they will save them time, money, germs, etc...  That they deserved the convenience and blah, blah, blah.

I fell for it for a long time and I feel a heaviness because I was so ignorant about disposable diapers with my first born.  Now I am educated and well informed on both sides of the argument. 

It is saddening that these companies prey, in particular, on the poor populations when the poor benefit the most from CDing (and breastfeeding) in the short and long term.

Anyways...just a tiny rant...

• imagesunkissed7804:
    imagetrudibell:

My childbirth class used this packet that was published by "Preparing for Parenting" by Pampers and Luvs.  It's hilarious (and kind of frightening) that on every other page there is something on the virtues of disposable diapers over cloth, which include "they only make up less than 2% of landfills!" "washing all those diapers has just as big an effect on the environment!" "the nation's leading pediatric and public health organizations (no mention of which ones) concluded that disposable diapers help keep germs from spreading in group child care settings."  And of course, repeatedly throughout said packet it claims that "most hospitals recommend PAMPERS from the first day of life!"  

I wear my tin foil hat proudly on baby issues in particular...

Diapers and formula are two of the biggest and most disgusting (and successful) propaganda stunts to ever hit this country in terms of family and societal norms.

The corporations did a great job convincing hospitals, doctors, mothers, and families that they will save them time, money, germs, etc...  That they deserved the convenience and blah, blah, blah.

I fell for it for a long time and I feel a heaviness because I was so ignorant about disposable diapers with my first born.  Now I am educated and well informed on both sides of the argument. 

It is saddening that these companies prey, in particular, on the poor populations when the poor benefit the most from CDing (and breastfeeding) in the short and long term.

Anyways...just a tiny rant...

^^Totally agree!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"