September 2013 Moms
Options

Pet behavior

Anyone else have pets that have been overly affectionate since you've become pregnant? I have a Siamese cat and he is always sweet but more now then ever. He follows me around, snuggles and rubs on my belly, and is just constantly wanting my attention. Has anyone else experienced this?

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

Re: Pet behavior

• Options
    DFico21DFico21 member
    Yes, my dog has been like this since the beginning.  I think he knew I was pregnant before I did. 
  • Options
    Yep. My dog is constantly with me. She lies at my feet, tries to get up on the couch with me, and follows me if I leave the room.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My dog won't leave me alone. She's extra snuggily, and as soon as I sit down, she's right next to me (or on my lap if my lap is free). She's always been affectionate, but it's usually with both of us, lately it's like DH isn't here.
    BFP #1 11/27/11 EDD 08/08/12 M/C 01/27/12 12 wks 2 days
    BFP #2 04/25/12 EDD 01/04/13(?) confirmed ectopic 05/16/12 6 wks 5 days 2 doses of MTX-Lost left tube on 05/25/12 Back to TTC, earlier than originally expected.
    BFP #3 01/05/13 EDD 09/17/13 u/s 1/24/13-great appt, measuring 2 days ahead, NT scan 3/11/13-great scan measuring 4 days ahead, A/S 4/29/13-another great scan can't wait to meet my baby BOY!!!!!
    My Blog

My Sweet (and Spoiled) Furbaby Cali
    Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    PgAL/PAL Welcome

• Options
    DH's cat who used to only pay attention to him has been following me around wanting attention.
  • Options
    Yes, one of my cats is starting to drive me nuts lol!  He used to be pretty independent but now he follows me everywhere and meows constantly.  I can't even go to the bathroom without him pushing the door open, running up and forcefully rubbing himself on my legs.I love him to death but, goodnees!!

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Options
    All 3 of my cats have been super affectionate for the past few months-our one female never used to snuggle with me-she used to all about my husband, but now she snuggles in bed with me every night! It is awesome!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Mrs. MoMrs. Mo member
    Both times around, my dogs have become extremely protective of me. Once DD was born, they became extremely protective of her (would sit by my feet as I fed/rocked/etc her).

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • Options
    Yes! My dog has been way more affectionate since I've been pregnant. He won't let me leave a room without him being by my side! I love it though because he's being more protective as well. He's such a good pup and I wouldn't be surprised if he knew I was pregnant before I did!
  • Options
    Wow, I'm going to have to research more and see if there is scientific evidence of cats and dogs sensing the extra hormones or something.
    My dogs have always been super affectionate and follow me around, so maybe I'm just not noticing it with them like I am the cat.

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

• Options

Yes!  We also have a Siamese cat who is generally obnoxious, but right now she won't leave me be.  DH calls her the 'bump protector' because her new MO is to wrap herself around my bump as soon as I sit down.

The other day she was draped over my belly and LO was kicking like crazy.  Kitty kept opening her eyes looking super annoyed b/c she way trying to sleep.  It was priceless.

• Options

Yes, out dog has become a real snuggle bug, expecially over the past few momths. Although he did have to have a major surgery and I think that has slowed his down a wee bit.

But on the flip side, he has also become a bit over protective of me when I walk him on my own without my hubby. He has started to bark at strangers when we walk, which is very out of character for him. I have tried correcting this when it happens, but I do not seem to be able to change this behaviour.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Not my dog he just isn't that smart. However my friends lab/german shepard mix has to be put outside when I come over because she clings to me and I trip over her and she barks if the kids are too loud in the same room as me.
  • Options
    My dog is extra clingy as well...but also doesn't want to listen to me either when I need to leaveshe doesnt like the separation. Working with a trainer to help. Hopefully, it will be corrected before baby gets here.
  • Options
    Our German shepherd is right about a year and a half old. He's gotten very gentle and cuddly with me. Basically acts like a house cat while my husband is gone then when he gets home finds a toy and meets him at the door ready to play. He's always been protective of me but he is even more now. Also anytime we go in the nursery he has to follow and see what we're doing and sniff check anything we intend to leave in there. We had a stroller delivered last week and he body checked the box then sniffed it to death lol. Everything needs his approval. It's too funny.
  • Options
    So there is no scientific proof either way but tons of testimonial evidence. I'm assuming its hormone related. But now I wonder is it only mammals? I've heard about goats, cats and dogs from random people, but what about other animals?

Son is 10 yrs old

Daughter is 8 yrs old

Son is Due Sept 18, 2013

• Options
    Nope.  My dog and cat are both clueless.  When i talk to the baby, the dog runs in the room and looks confused, like "There's no one here, who are you talking to?  Oh, are you talking to me?"
    Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • Options
    ksf13ksf13 member
    Very much so! Wherever I go, my two Pomeranians are right behind me. We just moved into a new house and I had to put them in their kennels when people came to hook up our internet and such and they didn't like not being able to protect me from the stranger in our house one bit. They are such sweet boys. I can't wait to see how sweet they will be to our baby girl :).
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes! I have had my cat for 11 years now and she has always been affectionate but now it is to the extreme. She is up with me in the morning and follows me around meowing until I pick her up and pet her. She gets mad when DH touches my belly and then she lays right on top of it. It is kind of cute. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"