Cloth Diapering

Newborn AIOs leaking, need advice please

In addition to a bunch of cotton prefolds and fitteds, I have a variety of newborn AIOs - swaddlebees simplex, lil joey, bumgenius, and grovia organic. I prepped them by washing with tide powder and air drying three times. Baby wears each one every day and we wash every day for now so they have all been worn and washed about a dozen times so far. We're washing with tide powder with hot water and a second rinse and air drying. The past two days all of my AIOs have been leaking and moisture has been wicking onto his clothes. Any ideas about what the problem is or what the solution might be? TIA!

Re: Newborn AIOs leaking, need advice please

• It's probably the tide you're using. I know people swear by it but it is not on the list of CD friendly soaps. I would try stripping them and switching soaps.
  • Are they soaked? Your LO might have outgrown the absorbancy of the NB AIOs already.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • K outgrew the absorbency of the Newborn AIOs in a matter of weeks.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I was thinking that he might be peeing a lot, glad to hear that is possible. I will try stripping and changing detergents (I have a sample of Charlie's soap and of some other cloth diaper specific soap that I can't remember right now) and see if that helps. Otherwise I guess those newborn AIOs were kind of a waste of money, huh? 
  • imagelaurenann82:
    I was thinking that he might be peeing a lot, glad to hear that is possible. I will try stripping and changing detergents (I have a sample of Charlie's soap and of some other cloth diaper specific soap that I can't remember right now) and see if that helps. Otherwise I guess those newborn AIOs were kind of a waste of money, huh? 

Please don't waste time stripping your diapers when you have a 2-week old baby to take care of. There is no way you have detergent build up that quickly. Plus, the Swaddlebees are natural fibers...so if you aren't getting leaks with your PFs and fitteds, this is most likely an absorbency or fit issue. And it's why PFs & covers are recommended with newborns - they are much more forgiving in those departments. FWIW, DD outgrew the absorbency of her BG AIOs by 3 weeks old. They were indeed pretty much a waste for us. : (

• imagelaurenann82:
    I was thinking that he might be peeing a lot, glad to hear that is possible. I will try stripping and changing detergents I have a sample of Charlie's soap and of some other cloth diaper specific soap that I can't remember right now and see if that helps. Otherwise I guess those newborn AIOs were kind of a waste of money, huh?nbsp;

NB diapers have great resale value, though!

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageJmeJme:
    imagelaurenann82:
    I was thinking that he might be peeing a lot, glad to hear that is possible. I will try stripping and changing detergents I have a sample of Charlie's soap and of some other cloth diaper specific soap that I can't remember right now and see if that helps. Otherwise I guess those newborn AIOs were kind of a waste of money, huh?nbsp;

NB diapers have great resale value, though!

True! I'm glad I only bought four.
  • imageAurora_Borealis:

imagelaurenann82:
    I was thinking that he might be peeing a lot, glad to hear that is possible. I will try stripping and changing detergents (I have a sample of Charlie's soap and of some other cloth diaper specific soap that I can't remember right now) and see if that helps. Otherwise I guess those newborn AIOs were kind of a waste of money, huh? 

Please don't waste time stripping your diapers when you have a 2-week old baby to take care of. There is no way you have detergent build up that quickly. Plus, the Swaddlebees are natural fibers...so if you aren't getting leaks with your PFs and fitteds, this is most likely an absorbency or fit issue. And it's why PFs & covers are recommended with newborns - they are much more forgiving in those departments. FWIW, DD outgrew the absorbency of her BG AIOs by 3 weeks old. They were indeed pretty much a waste for us. : (

All of this! I don't think there is any way you could have build up issues with just a couple weeks of use. It's more likely your kiddo has outgrown the absorbency. It can happen quickly. Doesn't the Swaddlebees have a pocket? Could you stuff a little something in there to boost it and make it last a little longer?
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAurora_Borealis:

imagelaurenann82:

Agree with all of this.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • How often are you changing? I used lil joeys in the daytime up til 6 weeks, but needed fitteds for the 3-4h night stretches. I loved them, personally, but other than changing more frequently I would stick to the ones that are working for you. A newborn is enough work. One of my newborn grovias had a repelling issue and I didn't get time to strip it til 2 months old (when it no longer fit), its in brand new condition for the next baby lol!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"