Babies: 0 - 3 Months

swaddling??

So my Houdini Hannah managed to wiggle out of her swaddler and had it up around her face. So naturally I freaked out and decided no more swaddling....well that was 2 sleepless nights ago :( I have her in a sleep sac now, but she still frequently startles herself awake. Any suggestions? Are there lightweight breathable swaddles out there that I wouldn't have to worry if it's by her face?

Thanks!! 

Re: swaddling??

• I got light weight cotton blankets at kohls that are large and rectangular so there is plenty of material to tuck in and keep the blanket in place. It is very thin in case it ends up around his face.
  • jreaveyjreavey member
    I have 100% cotton swaddles from Aden+Anais. They at especially large, so there is tons of fabric to tuck into itself and make it secure. We keep our air conditioner pretty cool, so I put DS into a flannel swaddle, and the cotton one over top. Double swaddle. He usually breaks free of the flannel ones alone.
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the ones from Aden+Anais.  They are lightweight, and really stretchy so you can get a really tight swaddle.  More expensive too, but SO worth it.  DH also figured out to tie the fabric (the end piece and a bit of fabric at the feet) in a small slip knot so that when she's kicking her feet (constantly), it doesn't start the whole thing unraveling and letting her get it up around her face.  Works a lot better than just tucking it in. Don't think we could do that with any other swaddle blankets we have since they are too thick or stiff. 
  • imageadl3399:
    We use the ones from AdenAnais.nbsp; They are lightweight, and really stretchy so you can get a really tight swaddle.nbsp; More expensive too, but SO worth it.nbsp; DH also figured out to tie the fabric the end piece and a bit of fabric at the feet in a small slip knot so that when she's kicking her feet constantly, it doesn't start the whole thing unraveling and letting her get it up around her face.nbsp; Works a lot better than just tucking it in. Don't think we could do that with any other swaddle blankets we have since they are too thick or stiff.nbsp;

I'd love to see how your DH did this...
  • We use a cotton Halo sleep sack. Works great.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So we double swaddle our little escapee.  We use the swaddle me blankets, and then use a receving blanket over it. we get her legs up nice and secure, and pull the ends so we can tie them around her shoulders. In the past almost 10 weeks she's escaped out of that maybe 5 times-and we swaddle her for every sleep period. 

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • adl3399: "We use the ones from AdenAnais.nbsp; They are lightweight, and really stretchy so you can get a really tight swaddle.nbsp; More expensive too, but SO worth it.nbsp; DH also figured out to tie the fabric the end piece and a bit of fabric at the feet in a small slip knot so that when she's kicking her feet constantly, it doesn't start the whole thing unraveling and letting her get it up around her face.nbsp; Works a lot better than just tucking it in. Don't think we could do that with any other swaddle blankets we have since they are too thick or stiff."

knguyen75: "I'd love to see how your DH did this..."

The corner piece that you wrap last, just kind of wad it up into a skinny end piece, then grab some of the fabric at the bottom by their feet and do the same. Then using the end piece, tie a not around the feet piece. The knot ends up being off to the side.  It's a pretty small knot and easy for us to undo (just not for her!).  It only works with the muslin blankets though.  Also, we pull her legs straight when swaddling so that when she kicks, it's not pulling on the blanket, which seems to help keep it in place too. 

• My little guy HATES being swaddled, so for now I'm just dealing with him startling himself awake by holding him for a few minutes and giving him a pacifier. He's been falling back asleep within 5 or 10 minutes. When do they outgrow the startle reflex?
  • Our little guy doesn't seem to care for the swaddling either.  I'm not sure when they outgrow the startle reflex, but ours has seemed to go right back to sleep with little to no fuss, we don't even have to pick him up.  It's been like that for about the last week (he is 2 weeks 2 days).
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • CougFanCougFan member
    Miracle Blanket! Impossible to bust out of!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Aden and Anais all the way!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"