3rd Trimester

Counting Contractions

How far apart should contractions be to warrant a hospital visit??

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Counting Contractions

• Anything over 4-5 in an hr.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For a certain amount of hours?? Or just a single hour

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • tjtandetjtande member
    I was told at my appt today, 5 min apart for at least an hour.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been wanting to know... how painful does a contraction have to be, if it fits the other criteria. Mine have always fizzled out, but I have had them very consistently that were uncomfortable (and over a minute) but not super intense.
    Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• During my previous labor I never really had the pattern of contractions that people describe to expect (every 5 minutes for an hour, etc.). If they have gotten more intense and closer together, I'd call your doctor or midwife and ask for guidance.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • If you think your having contractions call labour and delivery and describe them and they will tell you the right time to come in. That was my drs advice when I asked this yesterday
  • 511 Rule.

5 minutes apart.
    Lasting one minute total.
    You must go on this way consistently for an hour.

Why didn't your doctor tell you what they want you to do?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My doctor told me last night to hold off until I was incredibly uncomfortable before going in...but I'm also trying to labor at home as long as I can. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I was told for a first time Mom 4-1-1 (Every 4 minutes, lasting 1 minute for at least 1 hour).  I found a contraction counter for my iphone and it really helped.  I could just carry it around with me and didn't have to really think about it.  It's great for when you get to the hospital too because then they can see the whole picture of whats been going on.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Lyla Margaret , June 7, 2009 Tavis Tutty, January 5, 2012
  • I think people have different instructions depending on your ob.  So I think you should call and ask your dr.  FWIW, my dr told me, 5 minutes apart, lasting more than 10-15 seconds, for at least an hour Or if the water breaks. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I was given the 5-1-1 rule to. It did not involve a hospital visit but a call. They were able to determine more from just talking to me during the contraction. Everyone is different just like pp stated. Don't hesitate to call it will immediately put your mind at ease.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Most OBs follow the 5-1-1 rule.

5minutes apart (from start to start), lasting 1min a piece, for 1 hour straight.

Call your OB and see what they recommend. 

Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"