Baby Names

Did you pick a name before or after birth?

Did you find out the sex of your baby or were you team green?
Did you announce and finalize a name before birth or after birth or did you wait to meet baby to give him/her a name?
image imageimage

Re: Did you pick a name before or after birth?

• ZimgerZimger member
    We wanted to know gender. The plan was to go in with two names and then pick one when we met him but one name seemed to stand out. So we chose it ahead of time.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Absolutely we wanted to know gender. And we had a name picked out and shared with some family member and I wish we hadnt because I've changed my mind!
  • Loading the player...
  • Team green both times. It took us 6 days after birth to name #1 and 8 days after birth to name #2. We are indecisive.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • We found out with DD.

We brought 3 names to the hospital-- my fav, H's fave and our compromise name and made the final decision after she was born.

Good luck to you!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• aeh72aeh72 member
    We found out the sex.  We finalized the name about 2 months before my due date.  We did not announce his name until after his birth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Team green both times, went in with a finalized girl name and boy name in both cases. Firstborn, we shared our names ahead of time. Secondborn I kept mum because I learned my lesson.

• TheWopTheWop member
    For #1 we wanted to find out the gender.  We couldn't decide on a name after a zillion talks, so we decided to wait until we met her.  We didn't feel right naming a person we had never formally met.  I'm glad we waited, but with that said it wasn't necessarily any easier once I gave birth.  We ended up with a mutual favorite family name.  I did have some name anxiety for a few weeks after bringing her home, but now I can't imagine her as anything else. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagelaurasusan:
    imageMWoodside:
    Team green both times. It took us 6 days after birth to name 1 and 8 days after birth to name 2. We are indecisive.nbsp;
    How does that work when you leave the hospital without a name? Do you file an amendment to the birth certificate? Just curious...

They gave us a deadline to come back by. With #1 they hassled us about it but we really weren't ready to decide so they begrudgingly gave us more time. This time they had changed the policy and it was no big deal as long as we came in by tomorrow (date of birth was may 14). 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Of course we wanted to know! :) We settled on the name for baby #2 pretty soon after finding out. With first baby, we kept the name mostly secret until the birth... this time around we're just telling everyone and anyone who asks.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • We found out before birth, narrowed our names down to three FN and one MN, and waited until he was born to pick the final name.
  • We found out the sex, picked the name within several weeks of finding out and stuck with it.  We told people who (in some instances) were rude about it but we stuck to our guns and I'm glad that we did.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Team Green, and though we picked names ahead of time, we didn't announce until the little fella arrived.
    Anniversary 
  • We just had #3. Baby #1's name was picked out about 2 years before we even got married! Baby #2's name picked about a week after BFP. Baby #3's name picked out 2 years before BFP. All without a single argument (DH and I amazingly have the same taste in names - its about the only thing we agree on) :) Oh, and we found out the gender all 3 times.
  • We found out the gender and announced the name as soon as we found out.
    Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• We are currently team pink with a name chosen for our little girl. Once we found out the gender, we knew her name immediately. Only close friends and family have been told her name though. It's nice being able to talk to her by name and gender. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• We are Team Green! We have yet to officially decide on a name for a boy or girl. A few we like... when we do decide we've decided we will not share our names until baby arrives & if we don't have names until after baby arrives we are ok with that too!! It's a tough decision :-) 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were team green and picked a boy name and girl name before birth (and had a few backups). We finalized when we met her. 
  • We found out the sex both times. With DS1, we casually discussed names in the beginning and then got down to business after we knew we were having a boy. We didn't decide on his name till 36 weeks and didn't announce it till he was born.

This time we started seriously discussing names right away since we had a really hard time agreeing the first time. Once we found out we were having another boy, we could focus on just those names. We picked a name at about 30 weeks but never shared it. I'm glad we didn't share because last week we decided that name didn't feel right and have since picked a different name. We are set this time but still won't announce it till he arrives.

• We had names picked out by 12 weeks. We found out the sex at 20 weeks. From then on, we referred to her as Emilia or Emmy. We had no issues with people being jerks or making snarky comments about her name.
  • Did you find out the sex of your baby or were you team green? We were team green with our 1st and with this baby. DH wanted to find out the sex for our second pregnancy.

Did you announce and finalize a name before birth or after birth or did you wait to meet baby to give him/her a name? No, we don't finalize until we meet the baby.  Since we knew we were having another son the second time we did know pretty much that we would use our second favorite boy name for him, but didn't finalize it or a MN until we were in the hospital.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • We were team green, but had a girl's name and a boy's name picked out before we went to the hospital.  We actually had it decided within a week after finding out I was pregnant.  We kept the names a secret and it was really fun to announce the birth.  We sent messages that Firstname Middlename Lastname was born at 2:42 on October 2 and everyone got to find out the name and the sex at the same time.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We were team green for DD and didn't share any names prior to her being born.  We had 1 boy and 1 girl named picked out.

We'll do the exact same thing this go around.  Personally I feel like it takes away some of the excitement to announce everything before baby arrives (sex, name..). I like the 'phone call' announcement to family that baby has arrive, it's a boy/girl!, and the name.  :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BFP #1 ~ 1/26/2010 ~ MMC @ 6w6d discovered @ 11w3d ~ D&C 3/16/10
    BFP #2 ~ 4/22/2010 ~ EDD 12/29/2010 ~ Born 12/19/2010 ~ My Rainbow Baby
    BFP #3 ~ 6/10/2012 ~ EDD 2/20/2013 ~ HB 100bpm @ 9w3d ~ M/C 7/11/2012
    BFP #4 ~ 3/16/2013 ~ EDD 11/20/2013 ~ Born 11/17/2013 ~ Rainbow Baby #2
  • TiffJ21TiffJ21 member

We found out DS was a boy and decided on a name a couple of weeks later. We knew for sure that was the name we wanted to use, we never had any doubts.

It would drive me crazy to get to the hospital without a name picked out. I do like the idea of having two names picked out and seeing which one fits best though. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • bobceebobcee member
    We were team green with DD and are as well with this one. We do not share names ahead of time and go to the hospital with one name for each sex.

I never really understood people who waited to see what name fit the baby look wise or personality wise. To me my DD doesn't look anything like she did those first few weeks even and I definitely couldn't tell her personality yet.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• We knew the sex ahead of time but didn't pick a name til about an hour before he was born. I imagine it will be about the same this time around. We have 5-6 weeks left and have a long list of names and are nowhere near a decision.
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• We knew what we were having each time, but went in with a few names and took hours to decide after birth.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • imagelaurasusan:
    imageMWoodside:
    Team green both times. It took us 6 days after birth to name 1 and 8 days after birth to name 2. We are indecisive.nbsp;
    How does that work when you leave the hospital without a name? Do you file an amendment to the birth certificate? Just curious...

Well, we plan homebirths. And it only took us 2 days to name J. (DH won't discuss names until LO is here.) But it took almost a week to name A.

We named her just in time for my midwife to get it on the birth certificate before she had to mail the paperwork in. If we hadn't named her then, I think we would have had to file an amended form. I know in WI you have one year to get a name on the birth certificate. (Obviously it must be filed by then, but you can leave the name blank until baby's first birthday.)

My midwife had one couple who didn't name LO until 11 months old. 
  • We found out the sex and chose a name about 1-2 weeks later.  We didn't formally announce his name once we had picked it, but I would tell anyone who asked.
  • Pregnancy #1 - We picked names before we found out the sex at 15 weeks. We announced the name as soon as we knew it was a boy.

Pregnancy #2 - We picked names before we were even TTC. We are keeping the name to ourselves until birth.

• We had names for either sex picked out around 12 weeks with DD. We'll use the same boy name we had picked before this time, and also have the name picked out if it's a girl.
    TTC #1 Sept 2008
    M/C 9/21/09 | M/C 12/24/09 | BFP 1/23/10
    Madeline Rey DOB 9/30/10
    TTC # 2 Jan 2013
    BFP 3/12/13 | EDD 11/18/13
    It's a GIRL! Lydia Marie!
    Pregnancy TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS1, we knew after we found out he was a boy at 20 weeks what his name would be. 

With DD2, we couldn't decide.  We named her an hour before we were discharged from the hospital.  Every time hospital staff came into our room, they'd ask if we'd given her a name yet.  Lol.

Lilypie - (A6Jy)

• Team green, sorta

Before birth

• skioskio member
    We find out sex and we do not pick a name until we meet baby.
    imagePregnancy Ticker
  • We were team green. It was hard for us to find names that we agreed on. We had our boys named picked out (family names) and had a few girls first names but we still unsure (middle name was always going to be my middle name). When she was born none of the names we had originally thought of suit her so we were back to trying to figure one out. It was a few days before she had her name but it suits her perfectly and we agreed in the end.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• apc1929apc1929 member

We found out the sex all three times asap.  I never saw any appeal in waiting

Our first and last we went into birth with two names and chose pretty much at moment of birth.   Our middle we had named almost entire pregnancy.  It was a girl name I had randomly mentioned to DH and he loved it so much that we didn't

even consider anything else.  

• g8trkimg8trkim member
    We found out the sex. I liked knowing and giving them an identity. We picked out names and told people ahead of time. I can understand not announcing the name ahead of time but I liked having it picked. It gave us a chance to feel it out. Plus, I wouldn't trust any decisions that I might make after childbirth when I'm totally drained and sleep deprived. LOL.

• With DD and DS we found out the sex.  This time I want to find out but DH doesn't so we'll see who wins that one :).

Yes, we did finalize and announce (casually) the names of our kids before the birth.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• aswan10aswan10 member

Team green!  It was most incredible experience of my life!  The moment my husband and I shared as soon as we found out the gender (boy) was incredible, even though they were frantically trying to get him to breathe.  We have NEVER had such and incredible moment together.  I can't explain it any better than that.  All I can say is that it is the best surprise in the world!

We kept our names secret; to this day, we have never told anybody what our girl name was.  We decided the name before, and it's a good thing we never told anybody ahead of time what our name choices were because on my due date we changed the boy name.

Anniversary
  • jwls84jwls84 member
    We found out the sex, but didn't name him until the day after he was born. We really struggled with boys names but took our top two to the hospital with us. We didn't tell anyone our name choices. Next time I am hoping to be team green and won't choose a name until we meet the baby, but plan to have top two names for each sex and decide from there. I am not a big fan of telling anyone our names, I have way too many people who offer unsolicited advise!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"