September 2012 Moms

WT actual F??? Family cloth???

Two words: Family.Cloth.

Apparently, people buy cloth, wipe their aces with them and the reuse.  There isn't a washer powerful enough in the world for me. I guess this is in truth no real different than cloth diapers (which if I had more time, I would do), but some how vastly more disgusting to me. Could you imagine using the same material to wipe as your family does. I get that it is washed inbetween.... but still! 

Discuss.

Re: WT actual F??? Family cloth???

• hmp1hmp1 member

I never heard of it before TB. It is not for me. Hell, I don't even CD.

I think AB is considering it for herself but her husband won't do it. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Not for me. Especially reusable toilet paper. Ick. But I think most people buy a sprayer that attaches to the toilet (like used for spraying poo off cloth diapers) then use that to spray any poo off then use the wipes to dry off so there really shouldn't be any poo on it.

I'm considering making reusable "paper towels" out of old receiving blankets since we have so many. But that's as far as I'll go. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagethechimichanga:

Someone on here considered it.

It's not for me. I do not want to wipe my asss with my husbands shiit rags.

But I cloth diaper my child. Just can't do it as an adult.

As long as people who do family cloth have something disposable for me to wipe myself with at their home, I don't care what they do with their asscloths. ;)

/dead

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I don't even like washing DH's work clothes in the same washer as our regular clothes. I can only imagine looking through the door of the front loader to see a bunch of shiit floaters swishing around with the soap suds.

But, hey... to each their own I suppose!

• I couldn't do it....cleaning up DS's diapers is very different from cleaning DH's poop rags....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I like my own TP.  MH's asss stinks.  
                  image     image
  • imageambekirt:
    I like my own TP.  MH's asss stinks.  

There is no amount of money savings in the world that would bring me to wash whatever my husband wiped his with. There's probably not enough cloth wipes available for him either. Blech.

Yep it was AB!

• MrsAB is planning or considering it.

I have no issue with it.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • And you know the hubs would leave the asss wiped cloth in the bath room after using it! And kids???!!! Oh forget it! It would a real shiitfest. 
  • KisstyKissty member

Ewwww!

that's all

imageimage 

• lol @ asscloth.
  • I use cloth wipes for pee.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • KisstyKissty member

imageWhite Pony1:
    What exactly is the huge deal here?  

I've smelled what DH has done in there before.  No way do I want to go near it.

imageimage 

• imageWhite Pony1:
    imagethe mathlete:

imageWhite Pony1:
    What exactly is the huge deal here?  

I think it's the thought of wiping yourself with something that could have touched YH's shiit. At least, it is for me. We CD but don't use our CD wipes for poop. Shame on me, but I just can't do it. It's bad enough scraping the poop off her diapers (we don't have a sprayer and after the leaking horror stories, don't think I want one). 

Ah, maybe I am mis-understanding?  I thought the cloth is used once, washed/bleached/whatever, then reused?   

You are correct. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
  • I mean, I could get on board with it if each person had their own shitcloths.  And DH would def be responsible for washing his own.  No way I'm going NEAR that.  But I already clean up the boys asssess, and my own, so I guess I could handle that. Maybe.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • imagekdsmith43:

I don't even like washing DH's work clothes in the same washer as our regular clothes. I can only imagine looking through the door of the front loader to see a bunch of shiit floaters swishing around with the soap suds.

HAHHAA I am dying laughing. 

Baby #1 Sept 2012. Baby #2 due Feb 2015.
  • KisstyKissty member
    I thought about asking the hubs too. *snicker*  Then the reasons why came through and uh oh...he was complaining just the other day about how much tp I use.  Better make sure he knows I'm not serious.

imageimage 

• For me, CDing and family cloth are two very different things.

CDing : one baby sh*ts in it, it gets washed after each use, rinse, repeat.  I think there are liners too that go in them.  I don't CD, so I don't know the specifics.

family cloth: multiple users. (to my understanding) 

It doesn't matter how many times it gets washed, I am not sharing something that wipes DH's sh*t.   

Little B 9.20.12
  • There is no way. They'd end up everywhere. I've seen dh's housekeeping. Nope! Just for pee, I could totally handle though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My guess is someone else follows Frugal Living NW and thats where this came from - if not one of my savings blogs just did this.  She actually got plastic "trash cans" that she lined with mesh bags so when it was laundry day she could just cinch the bag and throw it in the wash.. she said she had some unexpected perks to it and found them to be ultra soft and nice.  I don't know - honestly - I'd probably consider doing a hybrid of it - but as DH does the laundry he probably wouldn't be on board and right now we don't need to add something ELSE to our plate.

We have switched to "cloth paper towels" - I started with these (I got them on deal) - https://www.etsy.com/listing/106935887/wetbag-15-reusable-paper-towel-set?ref=shop_home_active&ga_search_query=paper%2Btowels - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them.  We now have a stack of misc clothes and they are great for wiping LO's face and such..  

• imageWhite Pony1:
    Re: using the same cloth as DHCouldn't you have 1 color of cloth for you and 1 color of cloth for DH?nbsp;

This.

I really don't understand why some people seem so grossed out by it.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • imageMrsManny:
    imagekdsmith43:

I don't even like washing DH's work clothes in the same washer as our regular clothes. I can only imagine looking through the door of the front loader to see a bunch of shiit floaters swishing around with the soap suds.

HAHHAA I am dying laughing. 

OMG. Me too. Don't know if it is the sleep deprivation, but I am having a hard time stopping the laughter.  

• Reusable tampons no but diva cup yes.I actuaactually used glad rags once my pp flow slowed down because iI gotbad pad rash
  • imagecheeseandrice:

Can you even do reusable tampons? Because I refuse to wear pads of any kind. 

I'm guessing this is where a Diva Cup or Instead Cup or Luna Cup (or some other kind of cup) would come in handy. Idk. 

Anyway, I don't think family cloth is something to FREAK out about. It gets washed. I wouldn't do it because DH wouldn't be on board and I don't want to do any more laundry, but it's not OMGWEIRDHOWTERRIBLE to me.  

• imagelinzeek44:
    imagecheeseandrice:

Can you even do reusable tampons? Because I refuse to wear pads of any kind. 

I'm guessing this is where a Diva Cup or Instead Cup or Luna Cup (or some other kind of cup) would come in handy. Idk. 

Anyway, I don't think family cloth is something to FREAK out about. It gets washed. I wouldn't do it because DH wouldn't be on board and I don't want to do any more laundry, but it's not OMGWEIRDHOWTERRIBLE to me.  

I think as long as there is a peri bottle or sprayer of some sort involved, I don't have a problem with it. I talked to my husband about it when it came up on here a while back and he looked at me like I sprouted a third eye. If it wasn't more laundry to do I would totally be on board (the same with cloth diapers). I'm the world's worst when it comes to keeping up with laundry so I could see it going south, really fast!

Pun sort of intended. 

Anniversary

• imagethechimichanga:

As long as people who do family cloth have something disposable for me to wipe myself with at their home, I don't care what they do with their asscloths. ;)

LOLOLOL. 

Not in TX any more! - Central PA
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Such strong feelings about this, I see. Yes, I'm considering it. The only reason I haven't yet is that I simply haven't had time to install a sprayer in my upstairs toilet. It's not like you're just wiping shiit right off your azz. You are more or less just drying yourself. Use a sprayer or peri bottle to get the mess off. I see no issues with it. And when we ran out if TP the other day and I had to wipe my butt with a paper towel??? Yeah, I was kicking myself for not having my family cloth.

I like the idea of separate colors for each person but in my opinion, washing them is good enough.
  • This doesn't weird me out. I use a bidet so no poop would get on my cloths. Also, I would institute different colors for me vs DH. But we don't even cloth diaper though I am considering it. We use our washer and dryer all.the.time. I'm not sure what an ecological effect it would have in the end.
  • imagecheeseandrice:

meh. I guess I'm kind of judging the people here who are freaking out.  

Judge away, but you haven't been over after DH has used the bathroom. Or after he has eaten Dairy Queen. Or pizza. Or pretty much anything. Damn dairy intolerance.

• Yeesh, dudes. It's really no big deal. We used to use family cloth. Some medical issues brought it about, but it irritated me far less than using regular TP. We'd spray with water before using them for poop. NBD. 

We washed them in with our CDs. DH loved it. He devised a system for doing it at work even.  

Have none of you ever sh!t yourself? Had sh!t stains? Anything like that? Did you have "floaters in the washer?" That just isn't the reality of the situation.

I wouldn't wash them with our regular clothes, but if I were to use family cloth again when not CDing, I'd wash them seperately or else do two washes: once by themselves, then add other clothes once they were clean.  

/me wanders back off 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well said, Anita and Terri.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • imagethe mathlete:
    imageWhite Pony1:
    imagethe mathlete:

His response was "that's f'ucked". 

LOL 

Is it 5 yet?  I can't wait to ask mine. 

I'm thinking of points you can make to him as to why you should:

1. Environment, duh.

2. Cost! NO MORE TP! (Except for when Tarachanga visits your house.) 

TP is biodegradeable and renewable... Water is not a scarcity here... I honestly don't think it would be much better for the environment.  I wouldn't hang "family cloth" on the clothesline, and I think the water and energy you'd use washing and drying it would pretty much trump the environmental friendliness and half of the cost savings... I don't get why you'd want to...

• StasiStasi member

I'm not totally convinced that its more environmentally responsible. I know there are studies out there concerning disposable diapers versus cloth, but those go into a landfill and never degrade. 

TP usually disintegrates in septic or waste management facilities. I don't have any stats about cutting down trees. I would imagine they are using cheap farm raised trees for TP, I could be wrong.

IF, however, you live somewhere like the arid southwest where water is a SUPER precious resource, I can't imagine that adding even 1 extra load of wash a week is a good idea.

Man, that was a tirade. Sorry.  

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• imageanitalynn:
    So, I just had this conversation with Joe:me: So, when you poop and use the washlet, when you wipe after is there any poop?joe: not really, why?me: well, there is this thing they are talking about on the internetjoe interrupting me: no. I don't want to talk to your bumpies about shitme: hear me out. So, if you are spraying yourself and there really isn't any sht on the paper, would you wipe or dry yourself with a cloth wipe instead?nbsp;joe: no. hell no. I would only do it if you could show me that it'd save us 1000 a year. otherwise, nope. I'm happy to deal with Jack's crap, and I'll be happy to deal with child 2's crap, but I'm not dealing with yours or mine.nbsp;nbsp;So, uh, I guess he isn't on board. yet.nbsp;

Fantastic conversation.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • miss50miss50 member

Great convo ladies...I'd totally do it...

i asked DH..he said no.  Just no.  End of conversation. 

• I so want your toilet set, Anita.

Here's a challenge for you ladies:

No poop necessary...try wiping after you pee with a soft washcloth or cloth wipe as opposed to toilet paper.

There is a decent chance you'd see what the appeal is. It is so much softer and nicer. You don't get teeny bits of wood pulp left behind. It's pretty cool.  

• Here is my issues with it:

1. Hubs can stink up an entire floor of our house. I'm not going near his shitrag. 

2. I do the laundry and I'm not going near his shitrag.

3. He wouldn't properly dispose or take care of his shitrag and I'm not going near it.

4. There would be a day or two worth of shitrags sitting in the bathroom at any given time? No. To me, that is not sanitary. I'm sure those that do this found a way to make it clean - but it's just not or me. Poop and pee if she flushing - hence the toilet. 

5. I'm not touching hubs shitrag. 

Again, I'm sure other have found a way that works for them or they wouldn't do it. There isn't a way it would work for me.  

• imagethe mathlete:
    imageterri_doula2010:

No poop necessary...try wiping after you pee with a soft washcloth or cloth wipe as opposed to toilet paper.

There is a decent chance you'd see what the appeal is. It is so much softer and nicer. You don't get teeny bits of wood pulp left behind. It's pretty cool.  

Oh, I can see where it would feel nice. However, I don't have issues with TP being left behind and honestly I don't have an issue with my TP feeling rough -- we use Charmin. 

I hate Charmin. It doesn't feel like it works to me.

I also have a super sensitive vagina, so it may be more obvious to me than to others. Like I said, medical issues brought it on and it helped tremendously. If it ever makes sense to do it again, I totally would.

And as for guests, we never didn't have toilet paper...we just went through it waaaaay slowly. And both of us can stink up a bathroom but odor was never an issue.  

• I think that last post was a little ridiculous, Roxy.
    "Mommy, HELP ME!"

Lilypie - (P7p7)
  • I absolutely would have TP on hand for guests. You may be wiping your azz with Scott tissue, but you would have it. I'm a TP snob and only buy Cottonelle for us. It's expensive and we go through a LOT. If we were using cloth, I'd buy the cheapest crap possible. But we don't have company often, so...

And, again with the "shitrag". If you're spraying, there is no shiit. A wet bag next to the toilet solves the issue of "proper disposal". And, just like with CDs...you just flip the bag inside out over the washer, so you never have to touch poop.

Also, Anita, I'm coming to visit you. Just so I can use your potty. Lol. I'll bring my own TP.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"