September 2012 Moms

s/o Kindergarten

Does your child's birthday "meet the cutoff" for K when they turn 5?

Here the cut-off is 5 by September 1st, so E will be almost 6 when starting K if we go to the local public school.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: s/o Kindergarten

• skyejoskyejo member

Both girls did but the laws are changing in Michigan. By the time DD1 reaches K you will have to be 5 by September 1st (she's mid-October) to enroll.  You used to only have to be 5 by December to be allowed into K.  Same here, both girls will be almost 6 when they start. 

Sucks since this means an extra year of daycare costs for both.

ETA: when DD turns 5 it's the last year we can petition to get her in early.  But I don't want a two grade gap between DD1 and DD2 so we'll wait.

• hmp1hmp1 member
    Our cutoff is 9/30 so I have the choice of when to start him. If James gets into one of the magnet schools, we will probably test Leo at 4. If he doesn't get in we will test him again at 5. From what I hear, they don't usually take 4 year olds so I am planning to pay for an extra year of daycare for him.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Loading the player...
  • danabsddanabsd member
    I just looked it up, the cutoff is Oct 1 so well make it!

• imageskyejo:

Both girls did but the laws are changing in Michigan. By the time DD1 reaches K you will have to be 5 by September 1st (she's mid-October) to enroll.  You used to only have to be 5 by December to be allowed into K.  Same here, both girls will be almost 6 when they start. 

We're also in MI. Since C was born early (Aug. 13), he will make the cut-off, making him one of the youngest in his class. We'll wait and see then, but I wouldn't be opposed to waiting until the following year (even though as skyejo points out that does mean another whole year of DC costs).

• Our cutoff is Sept. 12 (I want to know what a-hole picked that arbitrary date), and DD's birthday is Sept. 15. Our district has a no exception rule to this, so we'll play it by ear but may end up doing private school for kindergarten.

• I believe that ours is October 1 as well, so we should make it at age 5.
  • Our cutoff is Sept 1, so he will not make it which is fine by me, we will just do an extra year of preschool.

I was one of those kids who barely make the cutoff, but my mom held me back until the following year.  H was the opposite and  went as one of the youngest kids in his class.  We both turned out fine.  My mom always says that was the best decision she made to keep me home the extra year.

Baby #1 Sept 2012. Baby #2 due Feb 2015.
  • Here in NY the cut off is Nov 30th.  So G will make the cut.  I started K at 4.  My parents pushed for it even though the teacher said I should wait another year.  I was always the youngest and I struggled.  Especially in reading.  Just as I was catching up, my parents went through a divorce and I was borderline failing 5th however I made it and by High school I was right on track other than being a slow reader.  All that being said, if G is not ready I will not push for her to go to K at 4. 
  • Gray99Gray99 member
    imagelinzeek44:

Does your child's birthday "meet the cutoff" for K when they turn 5?

Here the cut-off is 5 by September 1st, so E will be almost 6 when starting K if we go to the local public school.  

We are 5 by September 1st too.  Which means DS misses it by 8 days.  I'll see after doing pre-school etc. if I think his matruity level is where it should be.  I'm not really concerned if he doesn't go till almost 6, it maybe better in the long run. 

• imagetonir319:
    imageskyejo:

We're also in MI. Since C was born early (Aug. 13), he will make the cut-off, making him one of the youngest in his class. We'll wait and see then, but I wouldn't be opposed to waiting until the following year (even though as skyejo points out that does mean another whole year of DC costs).

I'm right up here in MI with you guys.  Dexter is Aug 31 so he will be one of the young 5's in his kindergarten.  My oldest is currently the youngest in his Kindergarten class with an Aug 12th birthday.  There are 2 kids in his class that are already 7.  It will be nice when they get the dates pulled back so the age gaps close a little for the classes. 

Skyjo does your chosen elementary school have a Young 5's program?  I know ours does and they offer all day or partial day and it is at no cost.  Might be worth looking into.  :)  

Dexter 08/31/2012~Summer 07/25/2011~Jack 10/21/2008~Aaron 08/12/2007
  • skyejoskyejo member
    imageOceanLover26:
    imagetonir319:
    imageskyejo:

I'm right up here in MI with you guys.  Dexter is Aug 31 so he will be one of the young 5's in his kindergarten.  My oldest is currently the youngest in his Kindergarten class with an Aug 12th birthday.  There are 2 kids in his class that are already 7.  It will be nice when they get the dates pulled back so the age gaps close a little for the classes. 

Skyjo does your chosen elementary school have a Young 5's program?  I know ours does and they offer all day or partial day and it is at no cost.  Might be worth looking into.  :)  

I forgot all about that.  I'm off to Google. Thanks! :)

• Yep.  The cut off in NJ is October 1st.  I'll decide as it approaches if he's ready or not.  DS1 turns 5 in July and I think that's young (although I'm an August baby so I was young as well) but September is cray.  We'll see!

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• Our cutoff is 8/1 so Finn will definitely have to wait until he is almost 6.

I started kindergarten at 4 and struggled for a while. I'd rather wait it out with Finn.

• All the school districts in our area have an Aug. 1st cutoff so he'll miss it by about 7 weeks. I'm fine with him being an older kid in his class.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS birthday is March (as is mine) so like me, he will be a little older in his class starting Kindergarten at just under 5.5 years.

However, DD's birthday is September 1 - so I take it she will start Kindergarten right as she turns 5 since in IL September 1 is the cutoff.  I'll probably have her start right then unless there are significant signs that she's not ready.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD is sept 29. Cutoff here is sept 30. I will most likely not send her. I don't see the reason to push them along UNLESS she is both socially and academically ready. Not borderline ready, but ready. It's very rare for them to be ready that early. My elementary teacher friends said definitively to not send her unless she is an exceptional case.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Cut off here is Sept 1.  Ellie's birthday is August 29.  We will see if she is ready.  It seems everybody holds back here.  
                  image     image
  • Nola was born 8/21, so she'll just make the cutoff. I'm ok with her being the youngest. My birthday is 9/15 and I was the youngest and it really didn't bother me! I mean it sucked when my friends were 18 and could go in the clubs at the beach and other people had to buy me cigarettes, but Nola doesn't need to go to the club or smoke in high school anyways! :) 

FTR: I've been smoke-free for 7.5 years now! :) 

Anniversary

• Indiana's cut off is currently 5 by August 1st, but that's subject to change by the time DS is ready for kindergarten. It has changed several times over the past few years. If it stays August 1st DS will be a few days shy of 6 when he starts.
     Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ours is also Sept 1st. In CA they have a 2 year transitional kindergarten program that she would start when she is 5. But she will still be a year behind in the long run :( 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm pretty sure the cut-off here is 9/1 and Lily's birthday is 9/3. I'd like her to start at 5, but like PPs in the same situation we'll see if she's ready and possibly petition.  
  • One of the schools in our area is 9/1 the other is 9/13. DD's birthday is 9/13. I am not going to worry about it until her kindergarten screening when she is 3 or 4. We will start her when she is socially and academically ready.

That said where I grew up everyone started at 4 and I was the second youngest in my grade and I have an April birthday.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • cmumamacmumama member
    DS2 will be almost 6 (sept 6) too when he starts Kindergarten and same with DS1 (Nov 24).  I'm ok with it.  I would've held DS1 back anyway if the cut off hadn't changed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Cut-off is 8/29 in Delaware.  I wouldn't even petition for him to get accepted earlier. I'd prefer him to be older in his class than younger. 

• We're another 5 by Sept 1 cut-off... Sophia will be 5 on Sept 5, so she'll be old.  I probably wouldn't have held her back if she made it, but I wouldn't petition to get her in early either.  I don't foresee kindergarten being a problem either way.
  • our cutoff is end of December, so he'll be fine. I'm sure we'll send him when he's 4. If there are obvious signs of him not being ready then we'd consider holding him back.

• StasiStasi member

I was curious so I looked up the school district we think we will be in when Kate starts school. It's a 9/1 cutoff so she'll be one of the oldest in her class which I'm fine with.

We plan on doing Montessori so I don't think she'll be missing much.  

Katherine Quinn | 9.16.2012 | 38w4d

Ryan Lanman | 9.12.2014 | 40w

2 Losses | 10/2010 @ 5w | 9/2013 @ 10w4d
    Little Sprout Blog

• Also a Sept 1 cutoff, with no exceptions.

If we had a choice, I think we would still wait the extra year. As a counselor, I see too many kids struggle because their parents pushed for something they weren't ready for. I want to give DS the best possible chance for success, and I don't see the harm in waiting an extra year.
    Little B 9.20.12
  • J's birthday does not meet the cutoff so she will be almost 6 when she starts K.  C does meet the cutoff (Sept. 30). As of right now I think we will hold her back.  I am not sure I will be okay sending my 17 year old daughter off to college if she starts K when she is 4.

I was actually just talking to my boss about this because I have had some people ask if we are going to have J tested to start K next year. My boss (whose daughter is getting ready to graduate high school) said "Don't give up an extra year with your child", which is a good point.  We are sending J to pre-K this year and we will wait and see how we feel when C gets closer to the age for K but for now I would say we will keep her back.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"