2nd Trimester

gross, but maybe kinda funny story...

So, my OB prescribed me an antibiotic for bacterial vaginosis and I have been taking it for a few days now, only two days left. I have never had a hard time swallowing pills, but it seems like since I have been pregnant its a challenge to get them down. The smell or taste of them makes its nearly impossible to take these or my prenatals (anyone else think their prenatals smell horrible)...I wasn't feeling good most of the day yesterday. Went to dinner with my husband, didn't eat all that much...we get home and are relaxing on the couch, when I remembered I needed to take my antibiotic...next thing I know I am trying to swallow it and (brace yourself) started projectile vomiting all over my living room floor. It was AWFUL. I couldn't stop...my poor husband was in shock and didn't even know what to do. After it was over and him nearly throwing up himself...all I could do was laugh. It was terrible and so gross...but honestly, what can ya do?
Any suggestions for taking pills? Tell me I am not alone!

Re: gross, but maybe kinda funny story...

• Definitely not Alone!!!!!  I had the same issue (not the projectile upchuck, but definitely hit a gag reflex) this past Friday trying to take my teeny folic acid supplement!!! Then trying to get down my prenatal - Forget about it!!!

I don't have any suggestions, except maybe don't think about it??  Or take the pill by a toilet next time?? :P

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only way I can take pills right now is to take it with milk or juice to help with the smell/taste and take it in between bites of food. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I take pills with soda. It's the only way they have a chance. The carbonation must help...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I usally just take pills with water, but I've never really had a hard time swallowing pills
    Liliana Seraphina born 9/5/2103

• imageMegs0913:
    So, my OB prescribed me an antibiotic for bacterial vaginosis and I have been taking it for a few days now, only two days left. I have never had a hard time swallowing pills, but it seems like since I have been pregnant its a challenge to get them down. The smell or taste of them makes its nearly impossible to take these or my prenatals (anyone else think their prenatals smell horrible)...I wasn't feeling good most of the day yesterday. Went to dinner with my husband, didn't eat all that much...we get home and are relaxing on the couch, when I remembered I needed to take my antibiotic...next thing I know I am trying to swallow it and (brace yourself) started projectile vomiting all over my living room floor. It was AWFUL. I couldn't stop...my poor husband was in shock and didn't even know what to do. After it was over and him nearly throwing up himself...all I could do was laugh. It was terrible and so gross...but honestly, what can ya do?
    Any suggestions for taking pills? Tell me I am not alone!

I was diagnosed with BV on Monday too and I agree those pills are nasty!!!  They need a coating of sometime.  I choke almost every time.  I've found it helps to take them with a flavored beverage/juice and to have a chaser (piece of candy/bite of food) right after.  

• I had to take the same type of pill for BV during my first trimester.  The ONLY thing that made it go down was taking it with milk. 

• I've had to take those same pills for BV before and know exactly what you mean, I've never tasted a pill so awful before!  My trick was to hold my breathing in my nose, take the pill, swig something tasty like juice or soda and then let my breathing resume again. 

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Try taking your pills on going to bed. I eat a small amount of yougurt and then I take my prenatal. It helps keep me from getting sick and makes it easier to swallow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"