January 2013 Moms

Intro and solids question

Hi Ladies -

I have stalked this board for a bit but never made a full intro until now.  Mostly because during my pregnancy I had no idea when I would deliver!  I had twins that were due 2/2 so I knew January was most likely going to be my month board, but at the same time I didn't know if December would be my board too.  I had a cerclage and was put on bed rest back in September.  Luckily I held out until my scheduled c-section on 1/23.  So here I am, 4 months later, doing an intro on this board.  The first two months were a blur. By the time we got to 3 months, I felt like I had some semblance of control in our new lives.  Today I can actually say both my babies are sleeping thru the night and are great eaters.  I don't want to brag, but with twins, that is a huge accomplishment.  I probably shouldn't speak too soon since it's only the 2nd night my son STTN lol.

My first question:  anyone starting solids this month?  If so, how's it going? Which cereal and or fruits/veggies are you trying? (I know there's controversy with starting before 6 months, but I'm not looking for a lesson in why we shouldn't start before then.  It's a personal decision.)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Intro and solids question

• We're waiting until 6 months, DD is probably close to twice her birth weight but I don't think she's quite doubled and she can not sit unassisted so she's just not quite ready. We'll start with mashed avocado [assuming I can get a good one in the Philippines, I'm not sure what all will be available there] 
  • I'm not starting for another month probably, but I'm skipping cereal.  If I do it, it would be oatmeal, but even my pedi said to skip it.  I'll start with bananas, applesauce and avocados.  I also plan to do a little finger foods right away by giving her a huge piece of banana or avocado and see what happens :)  Sort of baby led weaning.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • i'm planning on trying oatmeal a little after 4 months.
  • We were not going to start purees until 6 months and I was going to skip cereals. However, plans changed and DS is so much happier thus far on oatmeal along with his formula. We started him on rice for a week----I wasn't really a fan of this grain, but knew it was super easy to digest so we tried it. Then we have been on oatmeal since then. We did the rice at 4 months. Since he is doing so well on the oatmeal, we might try to introduce a food this weekend. Not sure what it will be, I need to do some research on that. He is reaching for our food and is sitting up unsupported for short periods of time on his own. So I think that he is ready and obviously interested.

One thing is for sure, I was so excited to think about feeding him something other than a bottle. But let me tell you, it is fun---but MESSY! I have had to reset my standards that I have, every time he sticks his hand in his mouth to try and held me feed him or grabs the spoon and wants to feed himself. I have realized that there is not a point of wiping off his hands and face everytime he gets something on them. lol

BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Welcome to the board!  DD is five months and I don't think she's quite ready yet (nor am I!), but we will likely skip cereal and start with banana or avocado when the time comes.  
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • We had our 4 month appointment today even though she is almost 5 months. Going to start with rice cereal and use Earths Best brand it is truly one of the only brands that is really organic. My pedi gave us the go a ahead and said after 2 weeks of her getting use to using her tongue to swallow then start the solids and start with the orange veggies. Her first veggie will be carrots. I plan to use Earths Best brand for her food as well- if you look at the back of the ingredients it only has one- which is the veggie or fruit. When I went to look at Gerber's "organic" baby food it has like 6 things listed- whoa!

I may get a baby bullet if I am feeling frisky but I work FT so mama doesn't have time for all this make your own food jazz. I am getting this off amazon though https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z6E8AG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER for the simple foods to smash once she gets there.  

There is no real nutritional value in the rice, the main reason for its use is so your baby can get use to eating off a spoon and make it extra soupy like..... also using there tongue in a new way other then sucking a bottle. 

•  We have been introducing food over the past 3 weeks.  DS has had bananas, applesauce and avocados.  We also use a whole grain cereal (Earths Best organic with sweet potatoes and apple.  We usually mix the cereal into whatever fruit/veggies he is eating.  He LOVES food.  We only offer food at dinner right now.  But DS watches us eat like a little bird with his mouth open and following the food from plate to mouth.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - (B9PH)

Lilypie - (0YVF)
     TTC since 11/2009; Lap/HSG/Hysteroscopy: 5/2011 (endometriosis - removed; endocervical polyp - removed; high pressure in bilateral tubes - cleared)

BFP #1: 8/4/11; DS1 born sleeping on 11/16/11 at 19w1d

BFP # 2: 5/7/12, EDD 1/10/13, DS2 born 1/4/13

BFP # 3: 11/8/13, EDD 7/17/14, mmc 10wks

BFP # 4: 5/16/14, EDD 1/15/15, praying for our 2nd rainbow baby 

• Thanks ladies.  I did some research on cereal and wound up buying Happy Bellies brown rice cereal. It is also certified organic and has pre- and pro-biotics as well as choline.  Haven't started yet... maybe next week.  Can't believe are at this point already!  Feels like we just took them home sometimes

https://www.diapers.com/p/happy-baby-happy-bellies-brown-rice-cereal-16321

• SWOG31SWOG31 member
    imageashlena:

We had our 4 month appointment today even though she is almost 5 months. Going to start with rice cereal and use Earths Best brand it is truly one of the only brands that is really organic. My pedi gave us the go a ahead and said after 2 weeks of her getting use to using her tongue to swallow then start the solids and start with the orange veggies. Her first veggie will be carrots. I plan to use Earths Best brand for her food as well- if you look at the back of the ingredients it only has one- which is the veggie or fruit. When I went to look at Gerber's "organic" baby food it has like 6 things listed- whoa!

I may get a baby bullet if I am feeling frisky but I work FT so mama doesn't have time for all this make your own food jazz. I am getting this off amazon though https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006Z6E8AG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER for the simple foods to smash once she gets there.  

There is no real nutritional value in the rice, the main reason for its use is so your baby can get use to eating off a spoon and make it extra soupy like..... also using there tongue in a new way other then sucking a bottle. 

i just wanted to comment on the Gerber veggies. I finally took the time in the store to read the backs of all the stage 1 fruits and veggies on the shelves. Not all Gerber fruits and veggies have a ton of ingredients. The Gerber stage 1 green beans, carrots, and peas(these are the ones I remember off the top of my head) only had the veggie plus water.  The only difference between it and the organic ingredients was that the organic ones said "organic green beans" and water. 

I just wanted to put it out there because people always say Gerbers has a ton of ingredients, and that's not the case with all of there stage 1 veggies. 

image ?/25 my chart image
  • DS was born January 1st and just turned 20 weeks (4 months, 3 weeks) yesterday. He's been showing a LOT of interest in our food for the past month so DH and I decided to try peas yesterday. I steamed and pureed some peas in a baby food maker my mom bought me while I was pregnant.

We tried feeding him 1tbsp after his 5pm feed. I set DS up in his swing sitting all the way upright. I offered the spoon and he opened his mouth for it... the faces he made though! OMG! DH and I had a pretty good time laughing at his surprise with the different taste and texture... which made DS laugh along with us. It ended up being a really nice family awwww moment.

I pureed the peas straight... I've read about thinning it down with breast milk or formula but I wanted DS to experiment with textures, and since he's nearly 5 months I thought he would be able to handle it. He spit some out but made a lot of exaggerated chewing motions and swallowed most of it without any problems. All in all the whole experience went well. I'm going to continue just the one feeding a day for awhile... and always after he's already full from his milk. I'll add another serving in a week or so unless he develops any issues. I'm waiting until 6 months for finger foods. I like the idea of giving him a whole piece of banana or avocado that a PP mentioned.

I seriously LOVE all the faces DS made while eating. Here's my instagram from yesterday....

ETA: Just had peas for the second time. It was almost a nonevent for DS. My husky was all in his face wondering why DS got food but he didn't so DS was staring at Nikolai the whole time. He opened his mouth and chewed/swallowed his food without really paying attention. I got a couple icky faces, but it was like he'd been eating them his whole life.

Both yesterday and today DS seems to be a lot more playful and full of energy after eating his peas. :)
  • BLPL101BLPL101 member
    I am starting at 6 months. I planned on starting with fruits/veggies, but DD has horrible reflux and I know sometimes the rice cereal can help so that's what I'm starting with. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Welcome and congrats on the wee bbs! Cannot imagine twins. Good for you!
    Per the infant nutritionist I'm waiting until he's at least six months and showing the developmental readiness signs to start foods. Since grains are not recommended before a year, I'm going to start with avocados and sweet potatoes and go from there. We'll be doing a modified baby led weaning and family table I think.
  • well welcome!!!!

we recently maybe in the past week or so introducing solids. LO is 5 months and we have been giving him the stage 1 foods. we tried the rice cereal and oatmeal cereal and he doenst really like them. but bananas and sweet potatos are his favorite! i completly agree though, every baby is different and ready at different times!

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When you start solids it's important to introduce one solid at a time, and wait 3 days to see if baby is allergic to the aliment or not. We started at 6 months and we've first introduced banana but LO also loves avocado. I first find it hard to tell which solids were recommended for her and which to avoid, but I found this website https://goodmomming.com/ and it kind of solved my problem. You could use it when your baby is ready.  Wish you the best!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"