Natural Birth

Finally had 'the talk' with OB

I decided during early 3rd tri that I would like to try a completely natural birth void of any medical intervention (no iv, epidural, induction, csection, etc) with the understanding that if the baby was in distress than i would of course do anything i can to not put her at risk. Also, i vowed to not put myself down if i caved in and got an epidural. I waited until my 37 week appointment to talk to my OB about my thoughts. I told her I wanted a medical free birth if possible, considering my very easy healthy pregnancy and my low risk status. Before i could even start asking questions about how the hospital handles natural type births (seems we are the minority nowadays) she told us how every room has a large bath, birthing ball, IV's aren't mandatory etc. She told me everything i wanted to hear prior to me even asking any questions which i was pleasantly surprised about. She is one of 7 OBs that can deliver so she told me that when they check me in the nurses ask about birthing plans upon checking in so that gives me a peace of mind too. Just wanted to share the good news with everybody!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Finally had 'the talk' with OB

• That's great that your OB is supportive.  Just be aware there might be hospital policies that she has to follow.  For example, some hospitals wont allow you to deliver in the tub, only use them for labor.  You might also want to ask if they allow you to eat and drink.  And be aware you will have to have an IV if you're GBS positive (about 25% of women are).  I'm not trying to be discouraging, many women have wonderful natural births in hospitals. Just know what questions to ask.  Best of luck to you!
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekriskell:
    That's great that your OB is supportive.  Just be aware there might be hospital policies that she has to follow.  For example, some hospitals wont allow you to deliver in the tub, only use them for labor.  You might also want to ask if they allow you to eat and drink.  And be aware you will have to have an IV if you're GBS positive (about 25% of women are).  I'm not trying to be discouraging, many women have wonderful natural births in hospitals. Just know what questions to ask.  Best of luck to you!

You are right, I think I am better off talking to the nurses since I will be spending the most time with them. Hopefully my charming husband will get on their good side ;) I just had my test for GBS and I will probably need Rhogam but they can run the penicillen for GBS and then take the IV out. OB said i can be mobile throughout labor. I do not want a water birth at this point, maybe ill lay in there to help ease contractions with hot water. Who knows

• Loading the player...
  • That is awesome!!! I opened this expecting another "My OB sucks" post. LOL, my ex-OB and local hospitals aren't so friendly. I am happy we switched to a midwife.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• That sounds like where I'm delivering, and where I delivered my first. I would highly recommend a doula, because even though the place may be setup perfectly for your desires, it can be harder to birth your way in the moment. The nurses at my first birth didn't recommend the tub or ball or anything other than meds. Don't expect them to help you - They're probably more used to fully medicated births and will sabotage you without meaning it. (My DH knew my hopes but was too overwhelmed to really help or speak up for me. I'm excited to have a doula for extra support this time.)
    Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• erb82erb82 member

imagekriskell:
    That's great that your OB is supportive.  Just be aware there might be hospital policies that she has to follow.  For example, some hospitals wont allow you to deliver in the tub, only use them for labor.  You might also want to ask if they allow you to eat and drink.  And be aware you will have to have an IV if you're GBS positive (about 25% of women are).  I'm not trying to be discouraging, many women have wonderful natural births in hospitals. Just know what questions to ask.  Best of luck to you!

Yay for your doctor!  I agree with the above poster that you should check on hospital policies that your doctor might need to comply with.  However, in my experience, the doctor can tell the nurses to look the other way on some of the hospital policies.  For example, I was supposed to have intermittent monitoring 15 minutes of every hour, but my labor was progressing normally and my doctor told them they could just do a verbal check in.  And while it's my hospital's policy to not allow food, if I had wanted to eat, I would have just done it whether I was "allowed to" or not.  Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  (Incidentally, eating was just about the last thing I wanted to do during both my labors).

• Although I completely understand the presence of a doula, I just think it would be a slap in my DHs face to bring a woman in the room that doesnt know us. I understand why women do it so I am not putting anyone down, i just think personally my husband has been my rock and i have full confidence in him that he will be my voice during labor.

I agree with many of the posters that there are hospital policies and most nurses and docs are inclined towards medical vs natural practices so I have to really ask the questions and I am pretty strong willed and opinionated so I won't shy away from telling them whether I am ok or not ok with something.

Also - the whole no food policy-not gonna happen. If i feel to sick to eat, fine. But if i am hungry or thirsty, then you better believe i will eat or drink. I can't imagine getting through labor without energy. I plan to bring my own food or drinks and I really won't pay much attention to what they say regarding that.

• The doula is for him too! The doula can hold things down while he runs to the bathroom. She may even be down to do coffee runs and things like that. And most of all, she is not a doctor but does UNDERSTAND the medical side, so that she can give input where your DH simply doesn't have experience. No shame in it. And she actually frees up your husband to be his best supportive self.

My DH was open to a doula last time and we ended up going without (and regretted it). This time around, he is more excited about having a doula than I am. 

Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• I just feel like we created this baby so we should be the only ppl in the room with an opinion on how it should be delivered. I don't know, I just think my husband and I both can do this without a doulas help. Who knows, I can be completely wrong I am a FTM so I guess ill see how it goes!
  • That's great! Good luck!
    *Bumping since 2007*
    had to change my sn :) TTC # 1 since Jan 06
    Miracle Baby #1 - March 2012
    Miracle Baby #2 - June 2013
  • It sounds like you have an OB who is on board, which is fantastic.  If you don't want a doula, than don't get one.  You shouldn't feel the need to justify your decisions to others.  However, just remember that there are going to be others there (OB, nurse, etc) so it's not like you are going to be alone with your DH.  A doula is there to support you in which ever way you choose.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagessemovsk:
    I just feel like we created this baby so we should be the only ppl in the room with an opinion on how it should be delivered. I don't know, I just think my husband and I both can do this without a doulas help. Who knows, I can be completely wrong I am a FTM so I guess ill see how it goes!

FWIW, my husband did take it as a slap in the face the first time I mentioned a doula. We didn't have one, and I've never regretted it. He was great, and was everything I needed.

January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I completely agree! I'm sorry but I get aggravated when people question the way you're doing things!! It's your child, do it how you want girl!
    BabyName Ticker
  •  

imageSweetPeaK26:

imagessemovsk:
    I just feel like we created this baby so we should be the only ppl in the room with an opinion on how it should be delivered. I don't know, I just think my husband and I both can do this without a doulas help. Who knows, I can be completely wrong I am a FTM so I guess ill see how it goes!

FWIW, my husband did take it as a slap in the face the first time I mentioned a doula. We didn't have one, and I've never regretted it. He was great, and was everything I needed.

My DH is not perfect by any means, but he has gone above and beyond during this pregnancy. He has been so supportive and just 100% there for me and more than understands my desire for a natural birth. If the roles were reversed, i think i would be offended. Regardless of that, I have faith in him and myself that we can make it through labor without one. I completely understand why women have them though and i think its great, it just doesnt fit my needs right now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"