Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Jealous of other babies eating table food...

ive posted on here before about LO choking/up chucking anything chunky.  Hell be 10 months next week.  Ive been trying to give him more table food (mostly it goes on the floor, his face/hands, or just crumb size pieces into his mouth)

anyways Ive been meeting up with other moms with LOs same age as my baby- and they are all basically eating whatever the mom eats.  Ive been so discouraged about LOs eating that I havent been giving him 3 "meals" a day like the pedi wants him at.  Ive lost the urge to make any purees for him (tonight I actually made some blueberry/banana). 

Just wish he was eating more table food- im worried that when it comes a yr Ill have to be giving him formula still cus hes not eating enough real food.  

Re: Jealous of other babies eating table food...

• Your son will meet his milestones at his own pace.  I took my daughter who just turned 1 years old to a picnic.  And I just fed her baby food and puffs because it was easy.  And there was older kids going after her puffs like this was the best thing.  And they just had a good time.  I really like to keep it simple for my daughter.  And we actually give our daughter Enfagrow Toddler formula still, and we are transitioning to milk. 

My son was a preemie, and he did not get finger food until a couple of months after his 1 birthday.  But it really took off after that point.  And he is doing good.  He is almost 3 years old.

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Keep offering it. He can't eat it and learn if you don't provide it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The only way he will learn is if you keep offering.  It's going to take awhile and be messy, but he will figure it out.  DD started eating table food around 9mo.  She can use a spoon pretty well now and she STILL gets messy and won't eat lots of things, it's just part of learning to eat.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • You're not alone!  My DD prefers purees and puffs.  I put out little pieces of what we have and she has no interest.  She's going to have to have a pureed birthday cake at this rate! 
  • I think some babies are just pickier than others. My LO is going through a phase where he will spit out anything other than fruit purees, bread and puffs. It makes mealtime a real mess!! I keep giving it to him though with hopes that he will eventually learn to like the taste.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hey, I feel ya. My son is just over 10 months and he's having very similar issues. He's just now starting to tolerate chunkier purees, but he has no interest in finger foods. Tonight I offered some baked apple slices. I thought it would work because A) he loves apple and B) he hadn't eaten in a while so I know he'd be hungry.  Unfortunately, it was a big nothing; he pretty much mashed the apple pieces in his hands for a while and then stopped picking them up altogether and got fussy. 

Anyway, as PP's have said, this will probably work itself out. In the meantime, I'm offering chunkier purees and even trying to give him pieces of finger food on a spoon, just so he get's used to gumming and swallowing. ANd I'm trying to offer finger food on his tray at least once a day. I figure someday I'll have a good laugh over what a struggle this was :) 

• Every baby is different. You are doing the best you can for him, there is no need to be discouraged. Some babies STTN at 8 weeks, others don't until they are a year old. Eating solids is similar. Just make sure to keep offering foods with a bit of texture occasionally and eventually he'll catch on...but it will be when he wants to do it...unfortunately. I wish we could magically make our babies and kids do what we want...wouldn't life be so much easier! Anyways, you have absolutely nothing to be discouraged about.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Eventually, they'll get it. My 2.5 year old was still eating bottles for about half his "food" at 14 months, the other half being not very chunky baby food. Now he's 100% on table food and feeds himself. Eventually, they'll get it.

I always remember this:

I will not have an 18 year old child that _________.

(In this case, I won't have an 18yo child that will not eat table food.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kderhamkderham member
    Especially when it comes to finger foods, it can take babies a few months to figure it out. We did BLW and I was discouraged at first too because I swear, nothing was actually swallowed! So I got the book and it explained that this is completely normal. The good news, the more often you offer finger foods, the better your baby will get with eating them. It took about 2 or 3 months for my LO to start eating and now he eats so much, its about half the size of my meals! It will happen. Its hard not to worry about it, I know. Just keep offering it and eventually, you and baby will work it all out just fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"