June 2013 Moms

Big Baby+ No Progress=Induction!

Saturday is the day!  I am getting induced.  Little Liam is already measuring 8lbs (after ultrasound measurements) and I have made ZERO progress with dilation and thinning.  I am very nervous for the pitcion but I want to try natural before jumping into a c-section.  Fingers Crossed I progress with meds!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Big Baby+ No Progress=Induction!

• Good luck!

I was given pitocin with DD, it really wasn't bad. I had a pretty quick labor and delivery and a healthy and happy baby.
  • Kelli3Kelli3 member
    Pitocin had been amazing for me. Has taken me from being dilated from a 3 to a 10 in under and hour for my last two pregnancies. Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Is there another health reason you are being induced at 38 weeks? Those measurements can be way off. Is it really necessary? Just curious!
  • You're probably not dilating and effacing bc you're only 38 weeks.

Excuse the judgment but that's all you're gonna get if you're being induced bc of an ultrasound measurement.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesctiger52408:
    I'm not your doctor and I don't know your specific situation, but u/s measurements can be way off and 8 lbs isn't that big.  I'd hesitate to be induced so soon because of that, especially since you're not to your due date yet.  If it were me, I'd wait and try to go into labor on my own, especially if I wanted to go natural.  Many women don't make any progress and then go into labor quickly.

This is exactly what I was wondering. Seems a bit early to bite the bullet on an induction if there is no other medical reason to induce. Do you have high BP or something? 

• Oh... Another one of these.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • hjk5000hjk5000 member

imagekaleyandjason:
    Oh... Another one of these.

Srsly. Good luck OP. 

PCOS Dx 12.08 / BFP! 4.22.10 DS1 born 1.4.11 DS2 born 6.19.13
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • While we [the patient] should be our own biggest advocate, I kinda wanna knock these OBs pushing interventions in the head.

OP, I know you're excited to meet your baby but if you're agreeing to an induction based upon size alone, please do research about the risks vs benefits. My guy is probably measuring near 7 to 8 lbs as well but I plan to let him stay there until he gives the cue that's he is all ready to come out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagesctiger52408:
    I'm not your doctor and I don't know your specific situation, but u/s measurements can be way off and 8 lbs isn't that big.nbsp; I'd hesitate to be induced so soon because of that, especially since you're not to your due date yet.nbsp; If it were me, I'd wait and try to go into labor on my own, especially if I wanted to go natural.nbsp; Many women don't make any progress and then go into labor quickly.

This.
  • imagekaleyandjason:

This....

BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• imagesctiger52408:
    I'm not your doctor and I don't know your specific situation, but u/s measurements can be way off and 8 lbs isn't that big.  I'd hesitate to be induced so soon because of that, especially since you're not to your due date yet.  If it were me, I'd wait and try to go into labor on my own, especially if I wanted to go natural.  Many women don't make any progress and then go into labor quickly.

This again.

Come on back and play OP! 

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • Good luck.  I am also curious about the reasons for your induction but I'm assuming you left out something about your dangerously high blood pressure or some such complication.
  • I'll be 39 weeks by the time I am induced. so it really isn't early, big babies run in my family and every measurement on ultrasound was big!
  • imagenotquiteblushing:
    Good luck.  I am also curious about the reasons for your induction but I'm assuming you left out something about your dangerously high blood pressure or some such complication.

Im not assuming. i am HOPING she left an actual medical reason out and not just "big baby"...

goodluck. 

Married: 04-13-12 

SS: 12-13-02 | SD: 12-13-02

DS: 6-8-13 | Sept 15' #2

• imagemrsbrown109:
    I'll be 39 weeks by the time I am induced. so it really isn't early, big babies run in my family and every measurement on ultrasound was big!

Yes, it is early. The guess that you are 38 weeks now is just a guess. You cannot accurately weigh a baby when it's in the womb. Yeah, some get lucky, but some are way off.

Please please please do research before inducing unless MEDICALLY necessary.

Me and Zech

• Um, good luck.  I can tell you from experience that even an 8 lb baby can slide out really easily and quickly.  Hell, I know a girl who had a 10 lb baby without so much as a blink of an eye.

I love big babies.  So much easier to care for than the itty bitties (and yes, btdt). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This gets a side eye from me. First of all, what kind of "progress" is the doctor expecting at 38 weeks? Dilation and effacement at that point mean nothing. The only time those elements come into play is during actual labor. But more importantly, ACOG sez NO INDUCTION FOR SUSPECTED MACROSOMIA. 8 lbs isn't even macrosomia.

I'm guessing doc has a vacay coming up.

• Well as exciting as it is because you'll finally meet your baby and I know we are all ready to meet our little bundle of joy, I have to agree with PP. Do some more research and ask some more questions! I'm having twins that combined weigh 13 pounds according to the US. I'm pretty sure your body can hold another 2 or 3 pounds of baby.
  • imagemrsbrown109:
    I'll be 39 weeks by the time I am induced. so it really isn't early, big babies run in my family and every measurement on ultrasound was big!

LOL.  Eight pounds isn't even that big.  I hope my kid is 8 pounds when he is READY to come out. Side friggen eye.

• It is so surprising to me that docs will induce early for something like this! My doc is very strict about only inducing if he absolutely has to.
  • The only thing I'll suggest is you may want to Google your Bishop's score before agreeing to an induction without any progress to see how likely it is to be successful.

Good luck, OP.

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• I would not do it if I were you.  He is not ready if your body is not showing signs of starting to prepare for labor.  From experience, it's best to let nature take it's course.  A section is not a walk in the park.  I would encourage a vaginal delivery by all means and your chances of that are greatly increased if you let your body take the lead on it's own.  I hope all goes well for you if you do decide to induce labor though. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagekaleyandjason:

There will be a ton
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • How exciting, only a few more days until you get to hold your little man! Good Luck!
  • I hope that they are inducing you for a medical reason like pre eclampsia or gestational diabetes because an estimated 8 lb baby at 38 weeks is certainly no reason to have an induction. They estimated my son to be over 10 lbs at 41 weeks, 5 days and he was an 8 lb 9 oz baby. If you aren't dilated or effaced at all it's probably because you aren't ready to deliver yet and and your induction may fail.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageilovemarfa:
    I hope that they are inducing you for a medical reason like pre eclampsia or gestational diabetes because an estimated 8 lb baby at 38 weeks is certainly no reason to have an induction. They estimated my son to be over 10 lbs at 41 weeks, 5 days and he was an 8 lb 9 oz baby. If you aren't dilated or effaced at all it's probably because you aren't ready to deliver yet and and your induction may fail.

YES. how much would that suck? Going through all those pitocin induced contractions, just to have them try again later or do a c-section. If I wasn't working I"d find a really awesome GIF that would portray how I feel about this post. 

Me and Zech

• imageilovemarfa:
    I hope that they are inducing you for a medical reason like pre eclampsia or gestational diabetes because an estimated 8 lb baby at 38 weeks is certainly no reason to have an induction. They estimated my son to be over 10 lbs at 41 weeks, 5 days and he was an 8 lb 9 oz baby. If you aren't dilated or effaced at all it's probably because you aren't ready to deliver yet and and your induction may fail.

YES. how much would that suck? Going through all those pitocin induced contractions, just to have them try again later or do a c-section. If I wasn't working I"d find a really awesome GIF that would portray how I feel about this post. 

Me and Zech

• kread8kread8 member
    imagenotquiteblushing:

imagemrsbrown109:

LOL.  Eight pounds isn't even that big.  I hope my kid is 8 pounds when he is READY to come out. Side friggen eye.

Yep, this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

M/C 7/8/12

Perfect baby boy born 7/8/13

BFP 8/20/14 EDD 4/27/15 It's a GIRL!!

• I really wonder how some of these doctors we are hearing about received medical degrees...
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I also want to add that my ob never even mentioned an induction until I was 41 weeks pregnant. I had at least 15 sonograms throughout my pregnancy with my son due to a mystery rash and joint swelling that I came down with around 31 weeks and my son always measured larger than normal. Big babies also run in my family. I was nearly 9 lbs and my brothers were over 9 lbs. My husband's nephew was 10 lbs and his mom delivered him vaginally. Ultimately the decision is yours but I certainly wouldn't be asking for an induction at nearly 39 weeks solely based on a guess.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageGraceInCA:
    This gets a side eye from me.

First of all, what kind of "progress" is the doctor expecting at 38 weeks? Dilation and effacement at that point mean nothing. The only time those elements come into play is during actual labor.

But more importantly, ACOG sez NO INDUCTION FOR SUSPECTED MACROSOMIA. 8 lbs isn't even macrosomia. nbsp;I'm guessing doc has a vacay coming up.

No one wants to miss the practice's Memorial Day BBQ.
  • imageilovemarfa:
    I also want to add that my ob never even mentioned an induction until I was 41 weeks pregnant. I had at least 15 sonograms throughout my pregnancy with my son due to a mystery rash and joint swelling that I came down with around 31 weeks and my son always measured larger than normal. Big babies also run in my family. I was nearly 9 lbs and my brothers were over 9 lbs. My husband's nephew was 10 lbs and his mom delivered him vaginally. Ultimately the decision is yours but I certainly wouldn't be asking for an induction at nearly 39 weeks solely based on a guess.

I think 8 or 9 lbs is totally average sounding. 6 and 7 lb babies kinda freak me out bc they're so tiny.
  • imageemolm:
    imageilovemarfa:
    I also want to add that my ob never even mentioned an induction until I was 41 weeks pregnant. I had at least 15 sonograms throughout my pregnancy with my son due to a mystery rash and joint swelling that I came down with around 31 weeks and my son always measured larger than normal. Big babies also run in my family. I was nearly 9 lbs and my brothers were over 9 lbs. My husband's nephew was 10 lbs and his mom delivered him vaginally. Ultimately the decision is yours but I certainly wouldn't be asking for an induction at nearly 39 weeks solely based on a guess.

I think 8 or 9 lbs is totally average sounding. 6 and 7 lb babies kinda freak me out bc they're so tiny.
    Thank you! Nothing against little babies at all, but if I hear one more person say 8lbs is a BIG baby I'm going to lose it! 7.8lbs is dead average. 8 is not big. I feel like that falls in with the average. 10lbs is on the larger side, but people act like it's grotesque and unheard of. Gimme a break. It's not HUGE. Upwards of 12 is more like huge. Sorry. End rant, lol.

• imagekelseypie:
    imageemolm:
    imageilovemarfa:

Thank you! Nothing against little babies at all, but if I hear one more person say 8lbs is a BIG baby I'm going to lose it! 7.8lbs is dead average. 8 is not big. I feel like that falls in with the average. 10lbs is on the larger side, but people act like it's grotesque and unheard of. Gimme a break. It's not HUGE. Upwards of 12 is more like huge. Sorry. End rant, lol.

Fetal macrosomia is anything 8 lbs 13 oz. That is what I was going by when I said big baby. I don't think 8 lbs is a big baby but that is the technical definition.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • *side eye* 

And THIS is why we should all research and be careful about what doctor you choose. 

I hope all goes well. Or that you read some and decide to wait until the baby is actually ready to come.  

BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • imageemolm:
    You're probably not dilating and effacing bc you're only 38 weeks. Excuse the judgment but that's all you're gonna get if you're being induced bc of an ultrasound measurement.
    Yep, judgment on my end. What's with this "big baby" hooey? 8 lbs is a normal size, and size measurements are off anyway. It's actually against ACOG guidelines to induce before 39 weeks without a really darn good reason. You probably won't have any dilation yet, you're not far enough along. 
  • imagemrsbrown109:

Boys run big in my family too, but there hasn't been any talk of induction. I have no interest in even discussing it until 41 weeks, unless some medical issue pops up. My middle sister pushed out a 12lber, so 8lbs is nothing. 

BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"