April 2013 Moms

under the chin

I'm not an active poster and it has been since before my baby was born that I've posted anything! It's been crazy, anyways my question is about the milk that gets stuck under babies chin/neck folds. I've notice it recently and feel bad for not realizing I didn't get it cleaned well enough earlier! How do I get under there and clean it up , its all dried milk, i just attempted at it and she was screaming at me and so I am going to wait till my husband gets home so he can help but am wondering the best way to go about getting it cleaned?? Please help, TIA! 

Re: under the chin

• i'm not an active poster either, but I am struggling with this too!  The first time I realized there was so much stuck under there I felt like such horrible mom!  It smells awful too.  I have had some luck with leaning her back (cradle hold style), and letting her head tip a little bit further back (still supported) and using a wet wipe.  Quite a chore every day though, since she usually screams at me too! Sometimes if she's sleepy enough, I can be sneaky about it ;)
  • So glad im not the only one..I lay her down on bed with my hand between her shoulders pulling up a bit so her head tilts back slightly
  • Loading the player...
  • I do what PP say but also I use this bib from tommy tippee that has a ring around the neck that absorbs most of the milk and prevents it from getting in the folds.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagemngildersleeve:
    I do what PP say but also I use this bib from tommy tippee that has a ring around the neck that absorbs most of the milk and prevents it from getting in the folds.

these are my favorite bibs for this reason. But I bathe DS every night so I can rinse it really well. Also, our pedi recommended putting some cornstarch powder around his neck, which has def helped with the smell.  

photo 606e6a9295ea7ed21bede1d01b391656.jpg Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageNandaB:
    I feel like the answer is lay your baby down and wipe their neck with a wet washcloth.

haha. This :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageNandaB:
    I feel like the answer is lay your baby down and wipe their neck with a wet washcloth.

That seems complicated...

;]
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks everyone! yes I figured it was pretty simple its just hard with her fat all rolled up there I was just worried about hurting her. I will try it tonight at bath time : ) 
  • elbouelbou member

imageKeturag:
    Thanks everyone! yes I figured it was pretty simple its just hard with her fat all rolled up there I was just worried about hurting her. I will try it tonight at bath time : ) 

In my experience, it doesn't hurt unless the milk has been there long enough to irritate the skin, similar to a diaper rash. For those who were worried about baby screaming, this may be the cause. A baby wipe could irritate it more, so a damp washcloth is best. Cornstarch powder after it's dried off will help soothe the irritated bits, and prevent it from getting worse. Shake it into your hand first so baby doesn't inhale it by accident.

It's pretty easy to do once you've had some practice. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"