May 2013 Moms

Colic

So my DH and I took our DD last Tuesday to the doctors and she was perfectly fine. Over the past week and a half she has been having crying fits during the night, pulling her knees up to her chest and throwing her hands in the air. Last night was the worst I feel. It went on for almost 2 and a half hours and I felt so helpless like I couldn't help my daughter at all. We just went to the doctors and they said she is perfectly healthy but she has colic. They said she will be like this for about three month. I am praying it goes away before three months because it gets me so upset to see her like this and she turns really red worse then a tomato. Sad

Does anyone else's baby have this or for the STM's did your older baby have it?

Re: Colic

• Lurking...

I am so sorry if she has colic, because I definitely wouldn't wish it on anyone. Pulling her knees up means she's probably got some gas going on, and so I would try gripe water or gas drops. You want to be careful to not over feed, because that can contribute as well, and swaddling helped dd when she had it. I'd recommend burping after every ounce or two, and after she's done eating rest her upright on your shoulder to get out any excess gas.

Bicycling her legs when she's laying on her back can help, but unfortunately if it is truly colic she will be inconsolable around the same times every day. There are a ton of theories surrounding what causes colic, and I believe the one about their digestive systems not being fully developed so they are uncomfortable. Don't feel bad if you need to step away and clear your head for a few, because the crying can and will ware on you.

I'll keep my FX for you that it's just gas, but if not, just know it will pass. I was a zombie for three months, with a screamer who wouldn't sleep longer than an hour or two. I feel sort of like we missed out on her being new because of it being such a stressful time. Good luck!
  • Sorry you are dealing with a fussy baby. If you're BF have you tried eliminating things that may cause problems? Dairy makes my LO really gassy. If you are FF maybe switch bottles? I hate all the parts but Dr Browns bottles make my LO less fussy. GL!
  • Loading the player...
  • MJ has been doing the same thing for the last week from around 3am to 6am, we got gripe water yesterday and last night was so much better he went right back to sleep after his 3am feeding with no fussiness,  I hope it keeps working.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Google "5 S's". Also try gripe water or colic calm. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My daughter has colic, usually for several hours in the evening. It's awful because she's wonderful the rest of the day. I wish I could do something to alleviate it but I can't do much. We've been giving her gripe water and it does help. Also constantly changing her position. Lastly I end up swaddling her while she screams, and just hum or play white noise and it helps once she calms enough to hear the noise.
  • I haven't dealt with this but i just finished the happiest baby on the block DVD and was fascinated by how all of the techniques in the video seemed to work even on very colicky babies. Sometimes you have to combine all 5 "s" at once but it seems to work for most babies. Sorry if you've already tried this and I hope things get better
  • imagemiraclemarie:

So my DH and I took our DD last Tuesday to the doctors and she was perfectly fine. Over the past week and a half she has been having crying fits during the night, pulling her knees up to her chest and throwing her hands in the air. Last night was the worst I feel. It went on for almost 2 and a half hours and I felt so helpless like I couldn't help my daughter at all. We just went to the doctors and they said she is perfectly healthy but she has colic. They said she will be like this for about three month. I am praying it goes away before three months because it gets me so upset to see her like this and she turns really red worse then a tomato. Sad

Does anyone else's baby have this or for the STM's did your older baby have it?

My DD did this.  She has an EXCELLENT pediatrician and it is his opinion that colic is not "colic" as in "crying for no reason".  He believes that something is bothering them and it may be gas or reflux or something else gastrointestinal.  From what you describe, it could be something like that.

Personally, I wouldn't accepts a diagnosis of colic and settle for just dealing with it until the baby grows out of it.

My DD ended up on a prescription of Zantac which worked wonders.

If you Breastfeed, consider that your foods could cause gassiness in baby.  If you formula feed, maybe DD needs a gentler formula. 

I'm not a Dr, so my advice is a shot in the dark.  The big take-away here is to not accept something just because a Dr says so and get other medical opinions.  You are your child's best advocate.

• My older DD had colic, it was awful and didn't go away till 4.5 months.  I'd recommend not just accepting it as colic and seeing if there's a deeper cause.  My DD had severe reflux that resulted in weight gain issues, she cried so much because she was in pain. 

• lawa306lawa306 member
    Mine does this at 4 am but poops and has gas so I don't think it's what most consider "colic". My DD had colic from6 pm 12 wowouldn't sleep or be console d. We could barely eat dinner and I blocked it out! If you are BFing it could be oversupply making her gassy.
  • My DS had it when he was about 2 weeks until about 8 weeks,  I used colic calm tabs by hylands and also gripe water.  To me, they seemed to help.  I know how miserable it can be so good luck and be strong,  it does get better!!
    image imagePregnancy Ticker image
  • imageTheyCalledHerKate:
    I haven't dealt with this but i just finished the happiest baby on the block DVD and was fascinated by how all of the techniques in the video seemed to work even on very colicky babies. Sometimes you have to combine all 5 "s" at once but it seems to work for most babies. Sorry if you've already tried this and I hope things get better

Ditto this. We watched it and a nurse in the hospital also showed us. Worked great. Not sure how it would work on a really colicky baby though.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"