June 2013 Moms

How soon do you BF after delivery?

The hospital gowns/bras threads reminded me of this question. I know a lot of people have mentioned BF after delivery and I was wondering how immediately this actually happens. Assuming all goes well my hospital does skin to skin immediately after the baby is born. Do you try to BF right then, minutes after delivery? Or more like 30 min to an hour after when, I imagine, things have calmed down a little? Just curious about what to expect.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How soon do you BF after delivery?

• If the baby is okay my hospital's protocol (and my preference) is to allow for skin to skin and breastfeeding immediately after birth.  I'm going to wear a nursing bra and just take it down/off.
  • DD was born at 2:30 am and she had some fluid issues so I didn't get to see her until about 1 the next afternoon. I just remember that I was so worried she was starving. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I nursed a few minutes after DS2 was born. I was just looking at him and in aww over him. Then I decided to nurse him, and he nursed for about 30 min or so. They delivered my placenta, and then took him from me and took all his stats.

My hospital I go to now- assuming everything is well, I will have him for an hour in my arms to look at him, and nurse him. Then they will take him and take all his stats and check him over really well. They take him to the nursery to do this, so they will transfer me to a new room, and get me all set up in there- I will be able to shower if I want- then I get him back after an hour or so.

DS1 was taken and checked first, and swaddled then handed to me a few minutes after delivery. I nursed him after an hour.

• imagenotquiteblushing:
    If the baby is okay my hospital's protocol (and my preference) is to allow for skin to skin and breastfeeding immediately after birth.  I'm going to wear a nursing bra and just take it down/off.

this 

• I nursed immediately after giving birth. They put him right on my chest and wiped the goop off, suctioned his mouth the nose and then clamped the cord while I was nursing. After a little bit they took him away to the scale, which was in the room and did what they needed to do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • For me, it was as soon as they were done stitching me up.  They took that time to wipe her down a bit and check her vitals.  It was within about 10-15 mins of her being born. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageMeghanKG:
    Immediately. It will help you deliver the placenta!

This.

Our hospital doesn't do all of the weighing and checking until a couple hours after birth.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • M swallowed a bit of meconium so I didn't get to hold her for 5-10minutes after (and it felt like forever!) but I BFed her probably 15minutes after she was born. I think they say within the first hour is best.
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• If all goes well and I get my VBAC, I'm hoping to BF immediately. Last time, I had to wait until after my c-section, when I got to the recovery room and my arms stopped shaking enough for me to feel confident enough to hold DS.

• I'm hoping to immediately this time. With DS, he was rushed away because of meconium. Once he was cleaned up and checked out, I BF. I'd say within 30 min, DS had his first outside meal :

The nurses asked if I wanted to BF first or have our family come be visit. I wanted to BF first. I'd recommend that. A little extra quiet time with your babe.
    Marigold Celestial Nostrils to save the day with glitter and unicorn farts! Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Immediately--with my daughter, she was delivered onto my stomach so skin to skin contact began right away and we began breastfeeding right away. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Odd question to add to this: how long before SO gets to hold the baby? After bfing?

Me and Zech

• right away.
    We said "I Do" on 9/27/2008!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a first time mom I don't know what to expect but it seems like it would be hard to breastfeed while getting stitched up and stuff!!!!
  • My guess is it was probably within an hour after the delivery.  We did a min or so of skin to skin then they took her away.  I was having some bleeding issues and they were stitching me up.  Honestly I don't even remember delivering the placenta.  Once they got her all cleaned up, cut the cord, weighed her, took her apgars, put her under the lights (slight jaundice), and such, I would say it was about an hour or so. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMeghanKG:
    Immediately. It will help you deliver the placenta!

Yep, this!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"