Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Lunch ideas

My mom keeps LO during the week. She is not a cook so I don't expect her to cook a meal for her. What do U all give your kids for lunch? She eats a lot of chicken, peas, potatoes, carrots. I don't mind for her to have lunch meat as long as its nitrate free and low sodium. Any suggestions? TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lunch ideas

• Options
    kalettekalette member

Here's one that I just hit on... Peanut noodles!

We cook spaghetti noodles, then stir in this sauce (scale it down if you are just cooking for LO):

2 TBSP Sesame, Olive or Canola oil
    1/2 C Peanut butter
    2 TBSP sugar
    3 TBSP soy sauce
    1 tsp Ginger
    1 TBSP vinegar
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    Onion to taste

Just mix those ingredients together in a bowl and add just a little to the noodles. LO loves them mixed with peas.

• Options
    I usually just make him the same thing I make for DH and I.  Yesterday we had chicken and white bean soup, today was pasta with pesto, tomorrow is quinoa with peas.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We usually eat leftovers for lunch.  If I'm in a pinch for something, I feed him a quesadilla with whatever cheese I have on hand or a peanut butter sandwich.  Both of those will travel well.  I've also given him a few small slices of cheese as his protein.  I pair those with frozen veggies, fruit or veggies he can easily eat raw such as cucumbers, carrots, sugar snap peas, etc...  

You do realize that "naturally" cured meats usually contain celery, a natural source of nitrates, right?  Since it's naturally occurring, it's harder to control the quantity that makes it into your food.  If you want cured meats that don't have any nitrates (though, honestly, fruits and veggies have them naturally occurring, too, and your body converts them into nitrites anyway), then you can cure your own with just salt and sugar.  It's exceedingly easy to do.  Then, cook the meat however you wish, slice and freeze in easy portions.  

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Options
    kaybe24kaybe24 member
    I feed mine cottage cheese, hummus on crackers, peanut butter sandwiches, microwaved tortillas with cheese and beans, yogurt, string cheese, grapes...mostly just snacky things and then he has more of a cooked meal at dinner.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagekaybe24:
    I feed mine cottage cheese, hummus on crackers, peanut butter sandwiches, microwaved tortillas with cheese and beans, yogurt, string cheese, grapes...mostly just snacky things and then he has more of a cooked meal at dinner.

sweet - i do the same thing!  LOL always wondering if it's enough but jeez how many pb&j's can a kid get?!  lol

• Options

Oven baked chicken strips with sweet potato fries (I make them ahead and freeze a bunch)

Oven baked tortilla chips with cheese, seasoned black beans, and avacado

Whole grain English muffin pizza

PBJ

Grilled cheese

Macaroni and cheese

Annie's Bernie O's with peas and cheese

Pita with hummus, cucumber, pepper, and feta

Leftovers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards