C-sections

pain killers after cs

How long pp did you take pain killers? My lo is a week old and this is my first day by myself with her.

Re: pain killers after cs

• I had my baby boy on 5/10. Of course I took the pain meds everyday like clockwork for a week because I had a tubal ligation also.  Now I only take one pill a day because of cramps but it's usually in the middle of the night. It's just an Ibuprofen though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I only took the narcotic stuff a few days because it messes up my head. I was on generic percocet. After that, I stuck with the ibuprofen, but I don't remember how long.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I only took them a day or two after my first.  I took the occasional Advil etc..  if I felt I needed too. 
  • I took my Percoset like clockwork for about 2 weeks.  Took it every six hours and took Advil too, so I was getting meds every 3 hours.  Once I was out of Percoset I only used Advil.  I EBF the whole time too. 
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• tracy41tracy41 member
    The Percocet I took for three or four days alternating with 800 mg ibuprofen. Then I just started using the normal dose of Advil. I think I took the Percocet one or two other times within another week because I had pushed too hard but I had both kids with me and I was on my own so I was really worried about being loopy.

Only you can tell how your body is recovering and managing the pain. I couldn't have managed with just ibuprofen in the hospital like some but nor could I imagine needing to be on the Percocet for two weeks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • mnj05mnj05 member

I had Norco and prescription motrin. I took both for almost a week then stopped and took aleve or ibuprofen as needed. The prescription stuff made me nauseas and dizzy.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• I took the narcotic pain killer for 3 days and then switched to the alternating Tylenol/Motrin every 2 hours for maybe another week.

• imageArdmhs83:
    I took my Percoset like clockwork for about 2 weeks.  Took it every six hours and took Advil too, so I was getting meds every 3 hours.  Once I was out of Percoset I only used Advil.  I EBF the whole time too. 

this 

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
  • imagecmhicklin:

imageArdmhs83:
    I took my Percoset like clockwork for about 2 weeks.  Took it every six hours and took Advil too, so I was getting meds every 3 hours.  Once I was out of Percoset I only used Advil.  I EBF the whole time too. 

this 

Same here.
  • imagenola78:
    I was off all pain meds on day 3.  I was still sore, but not sore enough to justify medication.  However, I had help and didn't need to do a lot myself re: lifting and carrying the baby.  If I didn't have help I may have needed more pain meds.

this for me too. I stopped the heavy stuff halfway through day two. I took the Advil though and continued for a few days when I was home.  

• Kie310Kie310 member
    My first c/s about a week. The 2nd time, almost 2 weeks. If you need them, take them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took Dilaudid for a week. 
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• I took the percocet every 4-6 hours while I was in the hospital. Once home, I have only take 1-2 in the late afternoon evening because I tend to get more uncomfortable as the day goes on. Yesterday, I didnt take anything. DS will be two weeks on Thursday. 

He's my fairytale, a dream when I'm not sleeping.

<a href="http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/behapybride/?action=view
  • I took my ibuprofen regularly for about a week. I think I took one percocet in the hospital and that was it. We filled the prescription when I went home just in case but I never took it. My recovery was super easy - I think because they sealed me up with dermabond and made me get up and move so quickly after my epidural wore off.
  • I was off the pain killers on day 2 and stayed off of them for the rest of the time. It was hard in some senses little jolts of pain but I found the minute I stopped to breath it went away and I was able to keep going, so it didn't seem worth taking to me. That said if you feel you need them then take them as prescribed, everyone is different and if it helps you heal better because you are better able to move with them than that is whats important.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • alathamalatham member
    I took them the entire time I was in the hospital both times because both of my kids were in the NICU and I was up and down and in and out of bed going back and forth to see them myself, plus taking family members to see them. Once I was home though, I took them here and there when the pain was really bothering me.
    BFP 11/20/2012. Missed MC on 12/26/2012.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagetracy41:
    The Percocet I took for three or four days alternating with 800 mg ibuprofen. Then I just started using the normal dose of Advil. I think I took the Percocet one or two other times within another week because I had pushed too hard but I had both kids with me and I was on my own so I was really worried about being loopy. Only you can tell how your body is recovering and managing the pain. I couldn't have managed with just ibuprofen in the hospital like some but nor could I imagine needing to be on the Percocet for two weeks.

Everybody is different and my pain was awful!  I NEEDED my meds for that long!  No big deal...when I took my last pill, it was my last pill.  When you use the pain meds after a huge surgery like that and you use them as needed, it is rare you will become addicted. 

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• kb3llkb3ll member
    I took them for a few days but, in hindsight I probably should have asked for more I was really uncomfortable for a two weeks.
    pregnancy calendar
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My RCS was amazing.  I had duramorph in my spinal so I didn't need anything for 48 hours after the surgery.  I took one dose of toradal (which I didn't even need) and the ibuprofen the rest of the time in the hospital -- usually 600 mg, every 6 hours.  I think I took ibuprofen for about three days after I was discharged.  I never needed to take narcotics.  
  • nic5606nic5606 member
    I was really painful after my C-section. I was on narcotic pain meds for 2 weeks and alternating Tylenol and ibuprofen. After the 2 weeks, I took Tylenol and ibuprofen probably for another week.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"