Natural Birth
Options

Help needed WWYD : scheduling induction(?)

Hi,  I was due May 17 and am now about 40 weeks 4 days pregnant.

I have been excited and committed to a natural birth but the practice doesn't want to go beyond 42 weeks.

My pregnancy has been totally normal and very healthy (had a stress test today and baby was totally fine,) but my midwives are concerned about the general risks associated with post-term pregnancy - placenta deterioration and meconium aspiration.

My midwife wants to schedule an induction at the very start of the 42 week mark which would be May 31st.

My mother went ten days late with my sister and I so I always figured I would go a bit late and the first day of the 42nd week seems a little aggressive to me.

I take the risk factors seriously and won't let the pregnancy go on indefinitely but curious to know what your cut off would be and why.   Would you have it on the 31st or would you go longer (till when) and why?

Thanks for your perspective.

Re: Help needed WWYD : scheduling induction(?)

• Options

For my piece of mind, I would go with the 31st. I too fear the placenta deterioration and passing of meconium.

Have you tried any of the natural ways to kickstart labor? For instance, nipple stimulation, sex, acupuncture, etc?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

BFP 3/29/2014 2u2 Let's do this!

BabyFruit Ticker

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif

• Options
    JJ_13JJ_13 member
    imageMommyKristin88:

For my piece of mind, I would go with the 31st. I too fear the placenta deterioration and passing of meconium.

Have you tried any of the natural ways to kickstart labor? For instance, nipple stimulation, sex, acupuncture, etc?

This. I know some people hate it, but castor oil too and black cohash too. They helped me (I still had to be induced, but at least contractions had started - and then stopped a few hours later, hence the induction - which helped make my cervix ready and the induction went quickly (8 hours of labor) and i was able to avoid the epidural).

42 weeks is actually pretty generous. That was my practice's policy too but a lot of places don't even like to go that long.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would be induced at 42 weeks.  From what I read the benefits of induction outweigh its risks after 42 weeks.  I agree with the PP, try to induce labor naturally with lots of walking, sex, and stimulation.  GL!
  • Options

I would not go beyond 42 weeks with a well dated pregnancy. I feel like a lot of stories from 20+ years ago predate ultrasounds and good dating of pregnancies, so they're just not that relevant.

My doctor would be pushing pretty hard by 10 days past due, so 14 is actually about as lenient  as you can get. 

• Options

imageaylafsu88:
    I would be induced at 42 weeks.  From what I read the benefits of induction outweigh its risks after 42 weeks.  I agree with the PP, try to induce labor naturally with lots of walking, sex, and stimulation.  GL!

Agree with this. And 42 weeks sounds really generous to me. I'm sure there are a lot of practices who wouldn't let you go that long. GL - hopefully you can kickstart labor on your own! 

Oct 13 April Siggy: Bunnies
    The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet

DS born on 9/30/13 from IVF #1.2!
      Lilypie - (xNS5)
  • Options
    My personal comfort zone ends at 42 weeks. I would induce if I were still pregnant at that point. If you did decide to delay induction at that point, I would ask for daily monitoring. In all likelihood, you'll go into labor before then. 
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kegkeg member
    Yep, 42 weeks would be my cut off also.  My OB is pretty lenient and low intervention and this is when he induces.  He tends to only start inductions on two nights a week when he doesn't have office hours the next day (he's a solo practitioner).  I was scheduled to be induced the evening of 41w4d and I was more comfortable with that than pushing to start the evening of 42w2d.  (It turned out not to be an issue since I went into labor the morning I was 41w4d.)
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• Options
    My midwife said 43 weeks was the cut-off for the birth center, and she also said that she didn't know any mom who would be willing to go longer than that.  I personally was not comfortable with anything more than 42 weeks. At 41 weeks we went in for a daily BPP and NST.  I went into labor at 41 weeks and 3 days.  
  • Options

My due date was actually the 18th and I'm getting impatient as well. :)

I think that 42 weeks is generally reasonable. And I'm pretty anti-induction for the most part.

Honestly, you have plenty of time to go into labor naturally! 

Alternative Housewife - Mama style on a budget

Mama to Sebastian, born 9/2010 BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    First of all you still have plenty of time, so try not to stress.  Most likely your baby will come on its own.  But 42w would be my level of comfort.
  • Options

I'm pretty passionate about low intervention births, and I'm personally comfortable being induced at 42 weeks. Keep in mind there are many days until then and you will most likely not need to face an induction. You might go well into week 41 though!

If I am understanding correctly, you would be induced at 42w0d, right?   What feels aggressive to you?

In doing the induction, I'd still prefer gentler methods with the hope that my body is somewhat ready on it's own, and measures apart from pitocin might be all that is needed. 

• Options
    abell77abell77 member
    I would be comfortable waiting to 42 weeks, but not longer.  Others have mentioned natural induction techniques and it reminded me that our Bradley instructor talked about moxibustion as an option too.  This was over 3 years ago now so I forget the details, but I'm sure google and your local health/natural foods store could help.  It's worth a try!  Good luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"