Breastfeeding

Is EP BF?

A friend of mine has recently been making little "joking" jabs at me for EP. I would love to BF directly, but unfortunately it never happened. Most days I'm fine and have accepted that while LO is getting only BM, it is through another way than the traditional method. DH and I were having this conversation last night and what do you ladies think? Would you consider EP BF? If all LO has received is BM, would you say they are EBF? I always pause a little when asked my the ped if I breast or bottle feed because... well, I do both.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

Re: Is EP BF?

• I consider EP BF. it may not be the traditional method but your baby is still exclusively eating breastmilk. theres just an extra step in the process. dont doubt yourself, be proud that you are EBF. After all, you are taking the harder route to do so
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • welly01welly01 member

First of all, I LOVE the name Atticus! :)

I would definitely consider EP BFing.  I pump during the day and LO gets bottles at Daycare, but I consider him to be EBF. 

BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • Loading the player...
  • I would consider that EBF.  I even consider when they're getting solids to be EBF because all of their liquid diet is from BM.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • EP is absolutely EBF. It really rattles my cage when people try to make women feel guilty about anything besides 100% latched-on BFing. As PP said, you're doing it the harder way! Celebrate your awesomeness, mama!  You're giving LO such a gift.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMBush4:
    A friend of mine has recently been making little "joking" jabs at me for EP. I would love to BF directly, but unfortunately it never happened. Most days I'm fine and have accepted that while LO is getting only BM, it is through another way than the traditional method. DH and I were having this conversation last night and what do you ladies think? Would you consider EP BF? If all LO has received is BM, would you say they are EBF? I always pause a little when asked my the ped if I breast or bottle feed because... well, I do both.

I EPed with my first and BF my son, but it still trips me up :)  They should ask breastmilk or formula I think.  Because lots of BF babies get bottles, and even a lot of them.  

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel that EP is EBFing, because baby is getting breastmilk.  I also think that people who EP are amazing, since pumping is oftentimes more time consuming than feeding directly from the breast or from formula feeding.  I'm sorry that your friend is making rude comments.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think so. I wish there were more resources out there for EP moms, I can't imagine how hard that is. I think it's awesome that many EP moms are so dedicated to giving their baby only BM even after having struggles with latching or whatever kept them from nursing. EP moms and nursing moms face some different issues, but that is not a reason not to support one another or present a united front.

I will say though, it makes me sad that I see posts (usually on trimester or BMBs) from pregnant moms who plan to EP without trying to nurse for what I consider silly reasons.... I've seen moms say they think nursing is "icky", don't want their boobs to be for anything but sex, or want others to bond with the baby by giving bottles. I'm glad that the general public is more aware of pumping so that it can be acceptable in more places (the workplace, airplanes, whatever) but it also worries me that ignorant people that don't get BFing (like my MIL, and the anonymous commenters I see at the bottom of any online news story about nursing in public) see the availability of pumps and say "Ewwww, don't nurse in public, just pump and bring a bottle!"

I guess I'm just afraid that nursing will lose ground to pumping because so many people are so afraid or offended by things like NIP or boobs as anything other than man's playthings.

• MBush4MBush4 member
    imagegeekette2010:

I think so. I wish there were more resources out there for EP moms, I can't imagine how hard that is. I think it's awesome that many EP moms are so dedicated to giving their baby only BM even after having struggles with latching or whatever kept them from nursing. EP moms and nursing moms face some different issues, but that is not a reason not to support one another or present a united front.

I will say though, it makes me sad that I see posts (usually on trimester or BMBs) from pregnant moms who plan to EP without trying to nurse for what I consider silly reasons.... I've seen moms say they think nursing is "icky", don't want their boobs to be for anything but sex, or want others to bond with the baby by giving bottles. I'm glad that the general public is more aware of pumping so that it can be acceptable in more places (the workplace, airplanes, whatever) but it also worries me that ignorant people that don't get BFing (like my MIL, and the anonymous commenters I see at the bottom of any online news story about nursing in public) see the availability of pumps and say "Ewwww, don't nurse in public, just pump and bring a bottle!"

I guess I'm just afraid that nursing will lose ground to pumping because so many people are so afraid or offended by things like NIP or boobs as anything other than man's playthings.

I completely agree! I'm part of the baby center's exclusively pumping board and there are women who come in asking how to start out pumping in the hospital, etc. because BFing directly seems weird, gross (or my personal favorite) unnatural. I had to call out and laugh at the lady who said it was unnatural. SO many moms who have to EP do it because they couldn't BF successfully and we try to push them try BFing, but... Yeah... I agree.

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• I consider it EBF. When the pedi asks breast or bottle, I say breast. I EPed with my 1st almost 3 years ago, and I feel like no one heard of it, and even my pedi said "you can't really do that." I stuck with it, had a great supply and he got exclusively BM past his 1st bday.

This time around, I feel like I know more people who EP. It's not seen as such a strange thing. I work on mother baby, and I've actually seen LCs recommend EPing for moms who are uncomfortable with BFing directly. I think the day will come soon when people are given 3 options, BF, EP or FF. A lot of people don't know EPing is even a possibility. So many of my friends gave up breastfeeding for various reasons, and almost all of them said they would've tried pumping if they would have known.

I'd love to BF exclusively, and had planned on it with this guy, but an unexpected NICU stay put a wrench in our plans.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Absolutely!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I EP and I consider it EBFing.  There is not a group on this website but there is one on babycenter if you need some support or have questions.  Keep it up and good luck.

https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a4592405/the_exclusive_pumpers

• neumc14neumc14 member
    Now don't get me wrong I give moms who ep a lot of credit because pumping is much harder than nursing but in my opinion it is not the same as nursing. I have nursed my dd for 13 months and only pumped once. I have fed my dd a bottle filled with bm and I an tell you it is nothing like the connection you feel when nursing. But you are giving your kids the best gift and that is the gift of good health by giving them your milk.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"