Dads & Dads-to-be

Following in your foot steps

We're at 24 weeks now and reality is starting to go into overdrive.  I finally felt my son kick for the first time (it was awesome!), our nursery is about 3/4 complete, my wife is preparing to send out shower invitations.  The third trimester is right around the corner and I am really starting to think about our life with our son.

For the Dad's on here who have sons, will you be engaging them in activities and sports that you enjoyed growing up or still take part in?  For example, if you played little league growing up and now play softball with friends, will you encourage your son to play baseball as well?

I play drums and I fully intend on teaching my son how to play along with baseball.  But I wouldn't want to force him into doing something he didn't like.  What are your thoughts? 

Re: Following in your foot steps

• I want to expose him to a wide variety of activities and see what he takes to. I played soccer as a kid, but was never that athletic or talented. Part of me hopes he will do better than his old man in that regard. I also want him to play Little League even though I never did (my mom was very worried about the dangers of certain sports). Leaning no on Football though.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • WulfgarWulfgar member
    No one wanted me on any sports team because I was slow and uncoordinated.  I do want to put my son into martial arts, wrestling, and maybe football.  I am not sure about football though, my dad destroyed his knees playing football in high school and I don't have really strong knees.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Maddox is very mechanical, he watches me work on cars. He'll take his fire truck, or his scoot scoot and flip it over and take his little screw driver and start tuning. He'll come up to me and say Daddy Broken. Fix? Yeah buddy fix it. I'll support him in whatever he decides to do as far as sports go.
  • We already are introducing Jacob to sports at nine months. He has a little sports station that little tykes makes with a basketball, football with a goal post and a baseball and bat. He likes to eat the basketball, so.....

When he is old enough he will be forced to play tee ball. I played baseball and mom played softball. We both went through college on baseball scholarships, and we do not miss one inning of the Brewers, live or on tv. If he wants to continue on with little league, we will be thrilled, and he will play on the teams I played for if he is good enough too.

I didn't play football until high school, at least organized and with pads. Football teaches so many great lessons in teamwork and discipline, so I really hope Jake will want to do that. I would love to see him play his games on the same nights and the same field as I did!

When he is old enough I will put a hoop up in the driveway to play ball with him. He can also go that route if he wants to.

We probably will force him into soccer as well.  I was, and it was critical for me to get that eye hand coordination down, as well as balance and coordination.

At some point I will put a golf club in his hand to just see if it is worth my time and effort to teach him to golf at a younger age.  Golf is so mental, and unless he was born with skills, it would be draining to teach a child how to swing a club.

• imageladyjenna13:

We already are introducing Jacob to sports at nine months. He has a little sports station that little tykes makes with a basketball, football with a goal post and a baseball and bat. He likes to eat the basketball, so.....

When he is old enough he will be forced to play tee ball. I played baseball and mom played softball. We both went through college on baseball scholarships, and we do not miss one inning of the Brewers, live or on tv. If he wants to continue on with little league, we will be thrilled, and he will play on the teams I played for if he is good enough too.

I didn't play football until high school, at least organized and with pads. Football teaches so many great lessons in teamwork and discipline, so I really hope Jake will want to do that. I would love to see him play his games on the same nights and the same field as I did!

When he is old enough I will put a hoop up in the driveway to play ball with him. He can also go that route if he wants to.

We probably will force him into soccer as well.  I was, and it was critical for me to get that eye hand coordination down, as well as balance and coordination.

At some point I will put a golf club in his hand to just see if it is worth my time and effort to teach him to golf at a younger age.  Golf is so mental, and unless he was born with skills, it would be draining to teach a child how to swing a club.

I feel like force is a strong word but I understand where you're coming from.  My time spent playing little league, basketball, and my years playing drums for band allowed me to be active and make lifelong friends.  Plus I loved going to the batting cages with my Dad, playing catch...those are things I can't wait to do with my son.

• imagefutant462:
    imageladyjenna13:

We already are introducing Jacob to sports at nine months. He has a little sports station that little tykes makes with a basketball, football with a goal post and a baseball and bat. He likes to eat the basketball, so.....

I feel like force is a strong word but I understand where you're coming from.  My time spent playing little league, basketball, and my years playing drums for band allowed me to be active and make lifelong friends.  Plus I loved going to the batting cages with my Dad, playing catch...those are things I can't wait to do with my son.

You are right, forced is a strong word. And Jake will be forced to play tee ball. I was forced to play soccer and tee ball as a young boy as well.

A season of tee ball at the age of 6 is hardly something that will be traumatic. Once he is out of tee ball, the choice to play baseball is on him. Tee ball is mandatory for boys in this house!

• I will expose him/them to a great deal of different things and let him latch onto what he enjoys doing most.  I just played baseball when I was little, but I will expose them to basketball, football and soccer at least in terms of sports.

I just refuse to let my sons be a couch potato who stares blankly at the the TV or video game for hours on end.  They can play games and watch some TV, but they will be going to do things too.

My oldest is already showing interest in all the major sports right now, he has a little soccer ball he loves to kick.  He was using his T-Ball set at 2 years and 4 months and has figured out the proper way to hold the bat and is starting to develop a swing that looks somewhat appropriate.  He is also making short shots on his 4 ft hoop in the house.

We have some pretty decent athletes on my side of the family... my great uncle was Knute Rockne's last starting halfback and played 1 season in the NFL (Bronco Nagursky hitting him too hard decided that business degree he got from ND would be a better career move),  my grandfather played semi-pro ball and had an offer from one of the 2 Chicago teams (my dad can't remember which) to go in their minor league system.  I have a cousin on my mom's side who was a high school All American in football, had a full ride scholarship to Michigan and was slated to start until the guy who's spot he took chop blocked him, blew his knee out and ended his career.  I have a 1st cousin who went to college on a soccer scholarship too.  So we have a fair amount of athletic genes on my side that may lend to my boys being decent at sports.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"